Inclined towards the 720 but 920 is also wooing me :'(

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I currently own an android device, have tried my hand at various devices and OS.

I'm sold to the windows 8 platform as I don't have any need for the current android (Xperia TL) I use, no gaming, no funky privacy peeping apps that I use.

The only things I use are,
-Listening to music (a lot of it so memory matters)
-Watching movies maybe once a week? (avi's or mp4's)
-Watching videos (occasionally)
-Browsing internet (not much though, maybe 10-15 minutes a day, or even less)
-Checking & replying mails (often)
-Whatsapp & text messaging
-Camera (I barely take any photos, but whenever I do they need to come clean and not something like washed with a cheap detergent)

Now a pal of mine was very keen to get a Lumia 720, I tried by best to woo him away and revert to android, but seems he was strong on it.

Now I've been bitten by the windows bug for a simple reason, I don't need the fancy phone am carrying right now as I don't utilize it to the full potential (I don't play any games) so I decided to move over to WP8 :).

Now here's a glitch,

I'm very much inclined towards the Lumia 720 but the Lumia 920 is trying its best to woo me because it has a better camera but the lack of micro sd card is turning me off? and more powerful hardware and is more of future proof unlike 720 which is, i better not say like a entry level car to woo the masses, but again, no micro sd card slot and dust issues!?

Please advise me which one should I opt for and if you are already on one of the two, which one you are with?

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I say, if you have the money, go,for the 920. But, the 720, despite how low-end it might seem, is actually a viable option.
For instance, you're the kind of person who doesn't play games.
However, these are practically the only apps that might need to utilize 1 GB of RAM.

And, that's practically the only thing (aside from the 8 GB of storage, which is supplemented by the SD Card slot. Which is something you might already have.)

Well, now that I mention it, the 720 is just a 920 lite :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Then again, I may as well reverse my stance.
Go for the 720.
Way better battery life.
Way thinner form factor.
Ridiculously light for a Lumia.
microSD card slot.
And, it's camera may be just as good as the 920.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using Lumia 920. You may be right in the sense that it could be future-proof as it is the most high-end phone from Nokia and is likely to be upgradeable specs-wise.

So, go for 1GB memory phone if you can.

I am planning to buy a Lumia 520 as my backup phone to my Lumia 920.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I almost forgot the Micro SD card slot, updated my main post.
I do like the fact that Lumia 920 is future proof but the fact that am stuck with 32GB memory (usable is 29~) irks me, i know you have skydrive and cloud sync stuff, but I don't have 'real' unlimited data plans, will see a store this weekend probably, I cannot find the 720 anywhere atleast now (Nokia says its launching that this month end) so will check how heavy 920 is.

Edited first post.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Go for what your inclined to more.
720 if you have tight budget.

see the problem with pre windows phones ( 7.5 era ) was that the kernal was totally different,also no major OEMs supporting them.
now the time has changed, saw how they are interested in implementing 1080p screens?
Being with Nokia you wont regret being lacked out of anything,can bet you on that,my lumia 800 still feels rock solid.

About the future upgrades this kernel relies more on the NT,
in simple language like are desktop pcs, can install xp,vista, win 7 or win 8, but with the required drivers.

920 is the best you can get. You will love it, and if 32 gb is enough for you go for it. dont forget you can always delete the movies you saw and add new ;)
720 is the baby 920, you will love that device too. again the camera the screen the sd card support fills in for the lack of hardware.

go for what you like, test out both phones in some store. you wont be disappointed buying either 720 or 920

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
i think buying a 920 makes no sense now :(
if you want a cheap phone you should buy a 720, but if you have money.. you really should wait the lumia 928, ligth as the 720 but more powerful and with this "still not announced" EOS photo technology!

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing thats turning me off for the 920/8 is the weight issue and lack of memory card slot (afaik in 920), i know I can delete movies once I am done with them, but its a mess to connect the phone daily to load new tracks and movies :'(, add to the agony 720 is not available yet.

Can someone shed any light whether the 920 image stabilization is good in 720 as well? or limited to 920?

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
no bro,
the reason why 920 is heavy as some say :angry: is due to the hardware packed in the phone.
OIS and Pureview Tech, the PureMotion HD screen, Wireless Charging evrything is top notch, and so you have the reason for weight issue.

720 does'nt have the pureview tech and the OIS, 920 kills evry smartphone in that department.

If i were you, with money and the choice, i would straight away go for the 920.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Man these threads never get old, do they.

You are clearly aware of the pros and cons of each device. So what's the problem?!

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
The thing thats turning me off for the 920/8 is the weight issue and lack of memory card slot (afaik in 920), i know I can delete movies once I am done with them, but its a mess to connect the phone daily to load new tracks and movies :'(, add to the agony 720 is not available yet.

Can someone shed any light whether the 920 image stabilization is good in 720 as well? or limited to 920?

i already made some comparison from 720 and 920 photography:
night shots: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-720/217889-lumia-720-user-media.html
day shots: La fotocamera del Nokia Lumia 720 alla prova e il confronto con la PureView del 920 | WindowsBlogItalia
skip the first 7 photos (all shots with 720) and you can compare 720 to 920.
Flower photo is in Macro mode on both devices
Me jumping photo is in Sport mode (fast objects)
Bonsai photo is in.. frontlight mode

720's camera is great but on dark you usually get more blurred photos, 920 is still a lot better!
in light condition i think they both gives great results (for a phone)

SahilShah

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a classic case of you get what you pay for. The Lumia 720 is a great phone, but specs-wise, the Lumia 920 prevails. The Lumia 920 IS the flagship Windows 8 Phone, the most comparable to the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy III/IV

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
lol..I also have a 720. It is more logical to compare 720 and iPh5.

This is a classic case of you get what you pay for. The Lumia 720 is a great phone, but specs-wise, the Lumia 920 prevails. The Lumia 920 IS the flagship Windows 8 Phone, the most comparable to the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy III/IV

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
i already made some comparison from 720 and 920 photography:
night shots: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-720/217889-lumia-720-user-media.html
day shots: La fotocamera del Nokia Lumia 720 alla prova e il confronto con la PureView del 920 | WindowsBlogItalia
skip the first 7 photos (all shots with 720) and you can compare 720 to 920.
Flower photo is in Macro mode on both devices
Me jumping photo is in Sport mode (fast objects)
Bonsai photo is in.. frontlight mode

720's camera is great but on dark you usually get more blurred photos, 920 is still a lot better!
in light condition i think they both gives great results (for a phone)

Checking it now, my nose is weeping because I cannot read Italian and Google Translate does a horrible job.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If budget isn't a hindrance then I'd say the 920.

But the 720 is AMAZING. I love the design and specs wise it's leaning towards the mid-range to high end smartphones.

fredie12

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
i have a lumia 920 and the camera is great but you say you listen to music a lot of the time so the expandable memory on the 720 is probably a better option. and you'll still get great pictures and an awsome phone at a great price.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I say just wait for the next wave of lumia phones, either 830 or 930 this year. 720 can get you through the year haha.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually ordered one yesterday with a local shop and will get my hands on it today or tomorrow.
I chose a white version :)

I went to a mall and checked the 920 too, as I currently use an Xperia T, 920 felt quite heavy compared to Xperia T and I wasn't very comfortable carrying it since I commute almost 2-2.5 hours a day in crowded trains.

I guess I will stick for 720 for 2 good years or until its battery dies out :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720