Nokia Lumia - 24 hours (After Switching from Android)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello People,

I have also started a wallpaper thread here, please check that out - http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...per-thread-heavy-bandwidth-usage-warning.html

Apologies I couldn't post this earlier as my internet bandwidth ran out and I had to try several times to recharge my isp using my cell phone's internet, which was a shatty experience.

Its 7.50PM here, Sunday and 24 hours earlier I got a Lumia 720, I was using a Xperia T prior to this (stock ROM 4.1 with a 32GB Micro SD Card loaded with lots of music)

Here is my review and findings,

The phone itself is gorgeous tbh, Samsung is nothing compared to this, sony may come close with its curves but honestly it literally demands your attention. I opted for a white (glossy) model as I don't like colorful phone covers, the bad thing is it catches dust easily (the backside glossy part), but a swipe should clean it up. I don't have to take any special precautions as I had used a white bold 3 in the past for almost a year, and it used to shine like new even after a years use, no spots or marks :).

I had to transfer my texts (400 or so?) and contacts 163 of them to Nokia, i used the transfer me? app and it only transferred the contacts, as for the texts, they were erased with a format. I wasn't quite disappointed as I wasn't expecting texts to shift, am not sure if this only happens with Android to WP8 switch. After that I formatted my Sony and gave it back to the shopkeeper and came home to play a bit with the phone.

Installed a couple of apps like Whatsapp, A few lenses, Mindicator (A local app to check train time tables as I commute), Wallpaper HD, Sms App (Had a bunch of sms'es in it, as I text a few of my family members daily), updated a few preloaded apps. 1 Thing I like is Android apps were pain in @ss (I barely installed any app), many of them wanted to see my phonebook, my call log, what color shoes I am wearing and what I am eating for dinner (really creepy, so I was very selective about installing apps), even a simple card game wanted to read my phonebook, I felt like Google owns me, which was shat.

Some of you may argue that WP has a lot lesser apps compared to Android, but hey would you install 10 apps that want to know what color underwear you are wearing, or would you install 1 app that does what it should do without bothering your privacy? I prefer the latter.

Switched on the camera, and I notice that the viewfinder shows a lot of grainy view?, took a picture takes 1.5-2 secs to actually snap after clicking the button and when zoomed to the maximum level I see grains grains and a lot of facking grains, the pics had been taken in a room which was lit sufficiently with a tubelight (if that makes any difference). Night pics were very good even in the evening (except for the grains while zooming the taken picture). I feel I have a faulty unit, maybe? or it needs a firmware update, the lens is clean. I'm not much of a camera guy but the grains aren't something cool. If you ask me to take pictures you'll be disappointed as am very poor when it comes to taking photos, I barely take any pictures and when they have to be for comparing I'll be a complete let down so I hope someone else will take pictures and help you in this aspect, if you STILL want me to take pictures (don't expect them to be great), I'd take a few, just let me know.

Loaded a bunch of lounge music and all my wallpapers (1k+) into the sd card and inserted into the phone, pics look good, but the Xperia T's image quality was better. I didn't have any expectations but I knew I was stepping down in terms of picture quality, same applies to videos. Inserted the earphones and switched on some music and I have some goosebumps as the sound quality was a lot better than what I heard previously, even at about 20/30 volume, the same song. Switched on the equalizer, not much of a difference to my ears but was good. I'm using JBL J22 (in ear), I can't use flat ones as they keep slipping off my ears.

Now trying to create a playlist, and I got to know that I was in a dark cave with no light. I commute 2 hours a day and its essential to listen to a few songs during that phase, hunting them every time is not a good idea when I already have a lot of other things to remember, tried saving the current playing song as a playlist hoping I could add a new one into it, but no. This is a bit of disappointment, I know people have already spoken about it but this surely needs attention.

As for whatsapp (note that this is an app specific bug, OS is not to be blamed), I get a whatsapp alert, I read the message and return to the home view, yet I see '1' next to the whatsapp icon. I sent a message to guy 1, tapped back arrow (chat lit) and see the message I sent to guy 1 on chick 1's list, I was totally shocked for a sec, who wouldn't be? But again its something whatsapp people need to work on because they made the app.

I do not play any games on the phone so am not writing any reviews on it, nor am I going to install any game :p.

I was out in the afternoon today, and we have about 30 degree Celsius of temperature, its summer season here and the sun can burn your bum. I could easily read the screen, whereas with my Xperia (and a lot of other android's I've used), I couldn't see anything on the screen even at 8 in the morning, I had to do a guess tap always hoping it would work and I'd achieve the result else cover the top of the phone with my other hand to "try" and see what was it (helped a bit but not too much), am very happy that I can see the phone screen in the sun, even videos/photos can be seen clearly.

Have synced my FB profile with the phone and works flawlessly, created a group of 18 people (family members) to send them a text (used to do in android) and can do it flawlessly. A glitch is the delivery report, it doesn't show the person's name but the number, hard to tell who's who when you are sending 17 texts, doesn't really bother me but still might be useful to someone.

The video quality was not as good as Xperia T, as I already said I knew I was downgrading somewhere but it was watchable :excited:.

The web browsing is very good experience, I have a 3G connection which drops to 2G depending on where I am at the home, when its 3G I get rapid speeds, things download very quickly as they should.

I couldn't get to test the battery as of now, I hope to test it this week. My usage is mainly watching a video or listening to music, barely make any calls.

I hope I've covered major aspects of the phone, if you need me to tell you something else, please ask.

Conclusion after shifting to Lumia 720 from Xperia T (I have personally used android for over a year, multiple handsets incl. flagships)
My conclusion is solely based on Android Vs. WP and not Xperia T vs. WP8

I am happy after switching because,
-I get a lag free phone experience, the way it should be
-Social accounts and phone numbers are synced together in 1 place
-The Apps are robust and do not intrude your privacy (specially seeing what color shoes you wear)
-I can operate the phone with 1 hand (all apps are listed vertically, your thumb stays on the same spot no matter which app you want to start, whereas you need to teach your thumb to dance when on an android)
-Live tiles is great and feels like the phone is talking to you ("without" lagging the phone), some may argue that its stupid, I agree to them and advise to stay away from WP, install a bunch of widgets and make the phone lag.
-Amazing battery life (Altough I haven't tested the battery but from what I did, it lasts longer than my previous phoneS)
-No running apps, no battery drain :smile:
-Extremely easy to use (I'm just 23 and can adapt to changes fairly well, but wp8 is extremely easy and user centred)

& I am sad after switching because
-I can't create playlists in music player
-No manual fast forward in songs (I can hold the ffwd button but if the jump length is high you might grow older when you reach there)
-I still need to learn a lot of things lol

Here is my lock screen setup, I don't know who is she I found this photo on some wallpaper site :eek:rly:
(I couldn't actually locate in my phone when connected to the computer, had to upload it to FB, download and reupload somewhere, I did check the /pictures/screenshots folder on the SD as well as internal memory was not there?) any help on this appreciated

iBcIqvFekqHEd.jpg

Last edited:

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well to solve one of your problems, all you have to do to fast forward a song is to hold on to the next song button in the music player. I'm fairly positive this can be done within the app or in the small player box when you hit the volume keys.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well to solve one of your problems, all you have to do to fast forward a song is to hold on to the next song button in the music player. I'm fairly positive this can be done within the app or in the small player box when you hit the volume keys.

I know I can hold the ffwd button, what if am on 0.01 andI want to jump at 2.03, I need to hold the button too long :s

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, glad you are enjoying your new Lumia. There are some things i wanted to point out.

You said video quality was better on your Sony. That's granted because the Sony has a 720p display while the Lumia is only 480p.

Also at the end of your post where you say, "no manual fast forward, and can't create playlists". You can do both with with the stock music player.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to WP.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
And as far as playlists you would have to use a computer sync setup to establish that, which is quite the hassle in my opinion.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
And as far as playlists you would have to use a computer sync setup to establish that, which is quite the hassle in my opinion.

Agreed as I input around 500-1000 or so songs (various albums) in 1 go and create playlists on the move, its quite a task to do that on the wp8, maybe I still have to learn a lot of moves here lol.

I'm not used to syncing the phone via zune/pc manager software, as I dumped the folders as is and created the favorites list while I was on the move.

1 more thing that surprises me is that there is no 'favourites' list, I do see a heart icon beside the album art, i did tap on that but is there a list of songs that have a heart tap mark on them?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Once you hold it down, the fast forward increases speed, so going from 0.01-2.03 only takes a second, try it, you'll see what I mean.

Since you are a microsoft junkie, and solved the ffwd problem, I need you to solve the playlist problem as well lol.
:excited:
Tried it, it doesn't take me to the accurate spot but it works fine.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
congo bro....
enjoy your 720...
dont worry about the disappointments, hope most will be sorted out...
I still use a White 800 and it looks good as new... no dust at all, the scratches are barely visible...
R u from india?

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Really, that's a good review for WP, overall. But if I can suggest, you can still add the playlists by tapping the 3 dots on the right bottom corner of the screen while the music+video app is playing your music, and tap Add to Playlist. Just tap the name, and voila! :D

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Since you are a microsoft junkie, and solved the ffwd problem, I need you to solve the playlist problem as well lol.
:excited:
Tried it, it doesn't take me to the accurate spot but it works fine.

To create a playlist, go to the the album (if you wish to include the whole album), or go over to songs, hit the side to bring up the check boxes and select all of the songs you wish to include, then hit "..." and select add to now playing, after all of your selected songs and/or albums are playing, once again hit"..." and select create playlist.
Name it and you're done.

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
To create a playlist, go to the the album (if you wish to include the whole album), or go over to songs, hit the side to bring up the check boxes and select all of the songs you wish to include, then hit "..." and select add to now playing, after all of your selected songs and/or albums are playing, once again hit"..." and select create playlist.
Name it and you're done.
Umm, am I posted the same thing above, just before you?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Name it and you're done.

And how exactly do you add more songs to that list, or alter that list to be precise lol?

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
And how exactly do you add more songs to that list, or alter that list to be precise lol?

If I understand your problem correctly, you can add more songs to now playing by tap and hold on every song/album/artist you want, then "add to now playing".
Then create a playlist from now playing.

* maybe I'm understanding your problem wrong, in that case, excuse me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar