07-29-2013 09:43 AM
99 ... 234
tools
    Proxy: 117.135.139.179, port 8888

no longer works
    07-21-2013 08:03 PM
    Well, the Wi-Fi Calling app certainly didn't work on my unlocked Rogers 920. I installed it a few weeks back and finally gave it a try nearly two weeks ago when I was at a bowling alley where I get no service but do get Wi-Fi access. Tried calling a friend more than once and didn't even get ringing on my phone. Oh well. I ended up uninstalling the app.
    07-24-2013 05:52 PM
    There is no such thing as a wifi calling app. Repeat after me...........

"Wifi Calling" is TM's marketing name for Unlicensed Mobile Access, aka, UMA. While it appears to be VoiP, or SIP, it is not.

The only way a phone has UMA is via the hardware or the OS's firmware. Examples of ones without are the Nokia 6085 and Nokia E72. The ones with WFC are the 6086 and the E73. Some call this "real UMA." If you start a call with "real" WFC, and you move from the wifi router, it will automatically switch to the cellular servfice.

A company called Kineto developed SW WFC and it got implemented in the Android OS kernel around version 2.3 or so. Some call this UMA Lite. Any WFC that is enabled by a software update, such as we hope the Amber update will be, is "Lite." UNLESS, Nokia built it into the phone's hardware during development but didn't write the code for it initially. How can we tell? Try the test above for "real."

The only three carriers in America using UMA are T-Mobile, Cincinatti Bell, and Republic Wireless. The latter has essentially hacked the CDMA system and it uses Sprint as its carrier............for $20/mo, unlimited everything.

So, whatever app you had installed, it wasn't WFC.
    07-24-2013 06:53 PM
    Well, the Wi-Fi Calling app certainly didn't work on my unlocked Rogers 920. I installed it a few weeks back and finally gave it a try nearly two weeks ago when I was at a bowling alley where I get no service but do get Wi-Fi access. Tried calling a friend more than once and didn't even get ringing on my phone. Oh well. I ended up uninstalling the app.
    I'm trying to figure out what phone other than the Lumia 521 and the HTC 8X did T Mobile create this for, looking at the reviews on Widows Phone I guess no other.
    07-24-2013 07:11 PM
    I'm trying to figure out what phone other than the Lumia 521 and the HTC 8X did T Mobile create this for, looking at the reviews on Widows Phone I guess no other.
    look at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps they have developed and you will know your answer :P
    07-24-2013 07:28 PM
    There might be some confusion to how T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling actually works... Their current Wi-Fi Apps are not the same as the hardware based UMA connections they used to use. The App simply routes the call to T-Mobile's network over an internet connection rather than a cellular connection. T-Mobile's backhaul receives the signal from the internet and processes it through the system like a cellular call. This is why you have serious problems with hand-offs from Wi-Fi calling to cellular calling usually. It is also why MMS won't work over Wi-Fi calling (since MMS requires a secure data connection to the servers to send/receive messages).

There's no magical hardware needed to send a signal to the T-Mobile's servers. UMA is a hardware based system, but that is not what T-Mobile is deploying on Windows Phone or Android devices. The solution they have is completely software based.
    07-25-2013 12:32 PM
    Thank you for sparing me a very long-winded response to the whole UMA thing. I do miss the wonderful handoff ability of UMA though :-\
    waazzupppp likes this.
    07-25-2013 12:51 PM
    look at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps they have developed and you will know your answer :P
    I haven't got time to look at all the apps -seriously.
    All but only 2 apps of the 108 apps I've added since I purchased my Lumia 810 work just fine,
    The 2 that don't are two that I was pretty sure didn't work before I installed them and that was Wi-Fi Calling and Lumia storage check beta.
    So I don't get your comment if you mean that most of the apps were developed for some unnamed phone that I have to find by
    "look(ing) at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps"
    Because other than those 2 the other 106 work just fine no complaints, I guess I have to try all of the thousands of apps to find more that don't work but I don't use
    all the apps I have -yet ( lots of photography apps) so I'll get back with a report in a year or two -but probably never. But if you want to answer your question that would be great
    if not then... because I'm not gonna read all the reviews for all the wp apps just to find out
    07-25-2013 05:48 PM
    It's preinstalled in the 925. Makes me jealous, although I DO want a 925, I'll admit.
    07-25-2013 06:09 PM
    I haven't got time to look at all the apps -seriously.
    All but only 2 apps of the 108 apps I've added since I purchased my Lumia 810 work just fine,
    The 2 that don't are two that I was pretty sure didn't work before I installed them and that was Wi-Fi Calling and Lumia storage check beta.
    So I don't get your comment if you mean that most of the apps were developed for some unnamed phone that I have to find by
    "look(ing) at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps"
    Because other than those 2 the other 106 work just fine no complaints, I guess I have to try all of the thousands of apps to find more that don't work but I don't use
    all the apps I have -yet ( lots of photography apps) so I'll get back with a report in a year or two -but probably never. But if you want to answer your question that would be great
    if not then... because I'm not gonna read all the reviews for all the wp apps just to find out
    I believe he meant to look at the reviews for 'what all apps TMO has developed for WP' .. I would totally agree without seeing all reviews though
    pankaj981 likes this.
    07-26-2013 11:07 AM
    it works ok on my 925... I use it at work, where I work in a radiation shielded building that gets no cel coverage. However, it does drop calls if I'm talking and I move out of wifi coverage which is kind of annoying.
    07-26-2013 12:10 PM
    Uh.

So, I just read through this thread. This couldn't be more confusing.

Simple question:

Wifi on 810 possible now or no?
    07-26-2013 01:14 PM
    Uh.

So, I just read through this thread. This couldn't be more confusing.

Simple question:

Wifi on 810 possible now or no?
    NO - not now and probably not ever.
    07-26-2013 03:14 PM
    I believe he meant to look at the reviews for 'what all apps TMO has developed for WP' .. I would totally agree without seeing all reviews though
    And I meant to write all BUT 2 of the 108 apps don't work not 106 don't
    07-26-2013 03:15 PM
    And is there a filter to look for Made by T Mobile or do I still have to search through all the apps
    07-26-2013 03:18 PM
    And is there a filter to look for Made by T Mobile or do I still have to search through all the apps
    Open this link, scroll down and click on More from T-Mobile USA, you should be able to see most if not all apps from TMOUS

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...e-00237de2db9e
    07-28-2013 02:38 AM
    Open this link, scroll down and click on More from T-Mobile USA, you should be able to see most if not all apps from TMOUS

My Account | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Well if that link actually had that "More from T Mobile" it might be helpful, funny thing is it says MY ACCOUNT app is not available for my Lumia 810 BUT it's came pre loaded on my phone.
    07-28-2013 02:49 AM
    Scroll down down on that link and you will see more from tmous
    07-28-2013 08:22 AM

My Account | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    pankaj981 - from one Rogers 920 owner to another, have you tried the Wi-Fi Calling app on your phone? Has it worked?
    07-28-2013 09:26 AM
    ^^ No it doesn't let me install it
    07-28-2013 11:23 AM
    Heh, that's odd. I was able to install it on mine, but it won't work.
    07-28-2013 11:45 AM
    It says not available for my device
    07-28-2013 11:50 AM
    Scroll down down on that link and you will see more from tmous
    I know what you are talking about but on my page (USA) it says 0

T-Mobile USA

Download size
    1 MB
    Report concern to Microsoft

Last updated
    11/26/2012

Version

Works with
    Windows Phone 8

App requires

phone identity
    owner identity
    data services
    push notification service
    HD720P (720x1280)
    WVGA (480x800)
    WXGA (768x1280)
    What's this?

Supported languages (1)

English (United States)

Download and install manually

Learn more
    07-28-2013 02:28 PM
    There's no magical hardware needed to send a signal to the T-Mobile's servers. UMA is a hardware based system, but that is not what T-Mobile is deploying on Windows Phone or Android devices. The solution they have is completely software based.
    Wrong. UMA/Wifi Calling may be either hardware or software based. Originally, just hardware. The Nokia 6086, maybe the first TM UMA phone, was the UMA version of the 6085. My E73 Nokia is the hardware UMA based version of the E72. Then along came Kineto, a company that allowed a change in the kernel of Androids after maybe 2.3?. Those and similar are software based. Unless Nokia has a bit of hardware lurking to be activated for UMA with the new upgrade, it will be software based.

You can tell the difference easily. When on wifi/UMA walk to where you don't have the wifi signal. If the call drops, your phone is software based. If it doesn't, it has switched to cellular and is hardware based. I've found that on my Android, it took a stronger signal to succeed than my hardware based phones.

(Been Hotspot@Home/UMA/Wifi Calling since it came to TM in 2007)
    07-29-2013 09:43 AM
99 ... 234