Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's all about the dollars right now... The 810 and 8x were contract driven phones... They paid too much to get them and can't sell them against the HTC One and Galaxy S4... At $360 they weren't making enough on the 810 to keep stocking it. Even the 521 is $70 more at a T-Mobile store than it is at your local Wal-Mart. The $500 phones have to have $500 features and the 810 was mid-range at best. The 8X however, had the high range specs, but everyone busted it down for not having the SD slot. The fact is the 16GB 8X should have been $450, but T-Mo had to charge $550 for it to make up for the lower contract prices.

T-Mobile dug their own grave on this one, not that I think the 810 or the 8x were bad devices. They were just overpriced. I can say that the new cheaper phones, like the 521 are so close in performance to the 810 that it would be hard to justify spending more than $200 at a T-Mobile store right now. You have the Optimus L9 for the Android crowd that is under $200 at Amazon and Wal-Mart... The 521 for $130-200 for the Windows Phone fans... The new unlocked iPhone 3GS for the iClones at $300... The BlackBerry 9315 for $168 for the BB fans... Seriously, any of these paired with a $50 a month bill is a pretty freaking sweet deal.

Now compare that to the 810 for $500, the 925 comes out at $575 and the 521 is still at $150-200... Would you buy the 810 for that or would you just save the extra $75 and get the beast?

And just a side note to the 8X - my buddies at HTC basically said all resources in the US are going to the One - for better or worse - it's their life saver if they have one left. I doubt that HTC is going to be a major player much longer in the industry - though I am secretly hoping that Microsoft buys them and starts turning out their own hardware... But that's just wishful thinking... Of course HTC headquarters is only 10 minutes from Microsoft's main campus...

^This 100%.

It is sad to see where HTC is. I've picked up today what probably is my last HTC phone...the 8X (VZW version)...to use alongside my 810. My favorite HTC devices are the Touch Diamond and the Kaiser. I wish them well with the One, but I still say they need One flagship Android and one flagship WP8 per year to stay afloat. I don't think the One will save them because they always cut corners on the feature they try to sell as to why to buy the phone.
I'm at a point where I'm going to pass on new hardware for a while unless something completely magical happens to pull me back in. Back to the old days for me once my 2 year bid with T-mobile is up....buy em GSM unlocked unlocked and say no to contracts...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
OFF TOPIC POST.

I ported my number to net 10 several days ago and ended up turning my 810 back to T-Mobile under the Washington State Attorney General case. Went well, no fifty dollar charge and the tax I paid up front was refunded.

As I've said before, I expect that customer svc across the cell phone industry sucks, and yup customer svc at net 10 sucks. The port went well, however there's two main issues with net 10. One the short codes that I mistakenly though were just for voting in American Idol and such crap (remember I am 52 yrs old) does more than just that. Because net 10 does not allow short codes I can't set my Equifax account to send me texts. I have a feeling the new two step Twitter verification may have the same issue.

Two I cannot get MMS to work on Net 10. Probably the majority of that is due to the MMS settings are not exposed under the APN with the HTC HD7. However my last contact with customer svc at net 10 was Wednesday mid morning when I gave them my APN settings as they requested and I've not had a reply yet.

So for the short term (no more than a couple/few months) I will stay with net 10. However for the same price or 5 dollars less than T-Mobile, Net10 is not particularly worthwhile. Now if Virgin had a Windows Phone, that MIGHT be a different story (I was on Virgin for a couple of years and left cause I saw no indications they were getting a Windows Phone).

END OFF TOPIC POST.

So no more 810. I am sorry to have abandoned you, but I will continue to lurk and will be curious as to how T-Mobile treats their 810 customers.

Last edited:

FixWindowsPhone

May 25, 2013
Visit site
OFF TOPIC POST.

I ported my number to net 10 several days ago and ended up turning my 810 back to T-Mobile under the Washington State Attorney General case. Went well, no fifty dollar charge and the tax I paid up front was refunded.

As I've said before, I expect that customer svc across the cell phone industry sucks, and yup customer svc at net 10 sucks. The port went well, however there's two main issues with net 10. One the short codes that I mistakenly though were just for voting in American Idol and such crap (remember I am 52 yrs old) does more than just that. Because net 10 does not allow short codes I can't set my Equifax account to send me texts. I have a feeling the new two step Twitter verification may have the same issue.

Two I cannot get MMS to work on Net 10. Probably the majority of that is due to the MMS settings are not exposed under the APN with the HTC HD7. However my last contact with customer svc at net 10 was Wednesday mid morning when I gave them my APN settings as they requested.

So for the short term (no more than a couple/few months) I will stay with net 10. However for the same price or 5 dollars less than T-Mobile, Net10 is not particularly worthwhile. Now if Virgin had a Windows Phone, that MIGHT be a different story (I was on Virgin for a couple of years and left cause I saw no indications there were getting a Windows Phone).

END OFF TOPIC POST.

So no more 810. I am sorry to have abandoned you, but I will continue to lurk and will be curious as to how T-Mobile treats their 810 customers.

What's the timeframe for returning your phone in Washington?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
What's the timeframe for returning your phone in Washington?

Ok. You don't have to be in Washington State, the case covers T-Mobile nationwide. I am in NV. The bad news is that you are likely not eligible for coverage under the case, if you were you likely would have recieved an e-mail from T-Mobile informing you of the issue. I will cover it briefly though. For those people that joined T-Mobile's new Simple Choice plans and got a phone under the installment plan between March 26, and April 25 you had thirty days to cancel your service from when T-Mobile sent you an e-mail informing you of the case, and fourteen days after canceling svc to return your phone. No late charge, and taxes paid up front are refunded.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
b23h, sorry to see you return the 810. I'm an early adopter so no such luck for me. I actually like the 8X I got, but the Other issue is almost as bad as it is with the 810, I think. At least Nokia has a temporary work around. I may hold onto my 810 a bit longer and eventually get an unlocked 920. I'm hopeful MSFT fixes the Other issue though. That way we can rough up T-Mobile for sure if they don't put out the appropriate firmware updates.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
b23h, sorry to see you return the 810. I'm an early adopter so no such luck for me. I actually like the 8X I got, but the Other issue is almost as bad as it is with the 810, I think. At least Nokia has a temporary work around. I may hold onto my 810 a bit longer and eventually get an unlocked 920. I'm hopeful MSFT fixes the Other issue though. That way we can rough up T-Mobile for sure if they don't put out the appropriate firmware updates.

I'm interested to hear you say that about a 16gb phone. I like how the 925 looks but I really would prefer to have a phone with more than 16 gb. My HTC HD 7 only has 16gb but clearly WP8 and WP7 has some real differences. WP8 is clearly bigger and apparently doesn't handle it's data all that well. My HTC 7 has around the same amount of programs my 810 had, but it's only used about 3.5 gb and has 12.75 free still. My 810 was at about 7 or 7.5 gb and I may have needed to start to delete programs if I had kept it for longer, and I only had it about a month and a half. But everyone knows all this....

I know some of us did not have the same level of issues with our 8gb phone, but quite of few of us do. I've certainly come to the conclusion that without a fix from Nokia or MS a 8gb phone is definitely not appropriate for me and I would suggest that any phone enthusiast interested in a WP device stay away from 8gb devices. So for my purposes 16 is minimum and I would prefer more....

It's nice that Nokia has stepped up to the plate to some degree with their "Storage Check" feature, but MS really needs to address this issue themselves. So we will see how this plays out; as far as T-Mobile's response as well as MS...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
b23h
Go to xda, in the HD7 section, read the thread about increasing the memory...it's not as hard as it looks and only takes about 10 minutes..you can even increase a T-Mobile HD7 up to 64GB.
(sorry for going off topic 😊)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
b23h
Go to xda, in the HD7 section, read the thread about increasing the memory...it's not as hard as it looks and only takes about 10 minutes..you can even increase a T-Mobile HD7 up to 64GB.
(sorry for going off topic 😊)

@b23h, ^ this. I upgraded my HTC Mozart the same way. That phone was 8GB internal and I dropped a 32GB class 4 card in there. The HD7 comparatively speaking should be a much easier phone to open up and make the switch. While XDA is worth a read and the process is virtually noob proof if you can work slowly and follow instructions, here a few caveats before you start:

1) You will be doing virtually a hard reset by changing out the internal storage. Do a backup in Zune first.

2) Because the HD7 is a Gen 1 WP7 phone, the older hardware runs a little slower with the larger memory cards installed. The read speed is ok but the write speed is atrocious. This means that if you max out the cards your phone runs slower. Sometimes you can offset this by the class microSD card you use, so read through the recommended list carefully. I'm not sure if that was improved with 7.8, but don't be surprised if that happens. When I updated my Mozart, adding and removing files via Zune was slow because of the write speed to the card.

Otherwise, i'd go for it if you require the extra memory space.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h, ^ this. I upgraded my HTC Mozart the same way. That phone was 8GB internal and I dropped a 32GB class 4 card in there. The HD7 comparatively speaking should be a much easier phone to open up and make the switch. While XDA is worth a read and the process is virtually noob proof if you can work slowly and follow instructions

thank you for the suggestions, in the short term I really don't think I'll need to expand its memory. I do find it interesting that it runs slower with larger cards. Finally I have super special extraordinary n00b powers beyond those of standard n00b. I think I'll pass for right now....

bh

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to hear you say that about a 16gb phone. I like how the 925 looks but I really would prefer to have a phone with more than 16 gb. My HTC HD 7 only has 16gb but clearly WP8 and WP7 has some real differences. WP8 is clearly bigger and apparently doesn't handle it's data all that well. My HTC 7 has around the same amount of programs my 810 had, but it's only used about 3.5 gb and has 12.75 free still. My 810 was at about 7 or 7.5 gb and I may have needed to start to delete programs if I had kept it for longer, and I only had it about a month and a half. But everyone knows all this....

I know some of us did not have the same level of issues with our 8gb phone, but quite of few of us do. I've certainly come to the conclusion that without a fix from Nokia or MS a 8gb phone is definitely not appropriate for me and I would suggest that any phone enthusiast interested in a WP device stay away from 8gb devices. So for my purposes 16 is minimum and I would prefer more....

It's nice that Nokia has stepped up to the plate to some degree with their "Storage Check" feature, but MS really needs to address this issue themselves. So we will see how this plays out; as far as T-Mobile's response as well as MS...

My take is that if the 925 were available at WP8 launch on T-Mobile, I would have bought that phone and scraped by with the 16GB storage. My needs were that if I had to use only one phone, I needed large capacity and a very good camera. Expanded memory and removable battery were deal. The 920 fits the bill, then the Ativ S (owned a Focus S and loved it). just couldn't afford either one, so I took the 810 because the cam was decent, it had expandable storage and removable battery. I'm a commuter (3 hours round trip daily via NJ bus + rail + NYC subway), so dead batteries are unacceptable and large storage is needed to carry around media to get through the commute is essential. I liked t-mobile as they're in my budget.

I cannot justify getting a 925 now, based on how T-Mobile treated me as a 810 user, and other than a slightly improved camera hardware wise, the 920 is a better for for me. So I may wait until the end of summer, if I choose to get a 920. The 8X I got needs a few repairs,but it works well enough for me to say that other WP8 users are feeling our pain about the Other storage.

See, it is little subtleties that some knuckleheads out there who have disposable income have don't understand. Even those like me who are tech savvy and do research and shop in the used phone market, don't have cash lying around to wheel and deal all the time. That's why people are blasting T-Mobile over the 810 (and soon 8X) treatment: why give you business for a service if you're not gonna show you all look after customers appropriately?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
thank you for the suggestions, in the short term I really don't think I'll need to expand its memory. I do find it interesting that it runs slower with larger cards. Finally I have super special extraordinary n00b powers beyond those of standard n00b. I think I'll pass for right now....

bh

The reason is simple...(here's the quick history recap) WP hardware since WP7 was made from Android specs available to OEMs at the time. For example, the Focus has the Galaxy S guts inside. HTC HD7 had HD2 guts inside. All other HTC WP7 Gen 1s had the Nexus One guts inside. These ran the older Snapdragons with the Adreno 200GPU. To get the WP hardware to market, the Gen1s internal memory was merely covered up microSD cards. It is merely the processor +gpu combo that plays into the ability to read and write data off the memory card. That old combo runs 8 or 16GB well, but bigger cards read and write slower.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
b23h
I've done the memory upgrade on my HD7, I used a SanDisk 32GB class 2...never had any slower speeds. If you choose to do this later on down the road, my suggestion is don't use any off brand cards, that's where people were running into problems with read speeds. I have a replacement HD7, popped a SanDisk 64GB class 10 in it, it ran like a champ.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
b23h
I've done the memory upgrade on my HD7, I used a SanDisk 32GB class 2...never had any slower speeds. If you choose to do this later on down the road, my suggestion is don't use any off brand cards, that's where people were running into problems with read speeds. I have a replacement HD7, popped a SanDisk 64GB class 10 in it, it ran like a champ.

@b23h, Mr.8820 is correct with this. At the time I did my upgrade, at least in the Mozart forums anyways the working card list is still being fleshed out. That was a year + ago when I did my upgrade. Like I said earlier, if you do the update now, you should have almost no issues if you use a card like Mr. 8820 suggested and follow the instructions to the letter. It is pretty much n00b proof.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h, Mr.8820 is correct with this. At the time I did my upgrade, at least in the Mozart forums anyways the working card list is still being fleshed out. That was a year + ago when I did my upgrade. Like I said earlier, if you do the update now, you should have almost no issues if you use a card like Mr. 8820 suggested and follow the instructions to the letter. It is pretty much n00b proof.

Thanks guys. I was joking about my super n00b powers, it just comes down to the idea that with the HD 7 I don't think I'll need to expand it's memory in the short term. I do appreciate the information though in case I decide to increase it's capacity later.

So let's get back on topic, which is ******** about T-Mobile. I'm joking again. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I am joking. I'll get back to you on that......

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
ok so I wanted to know what exactly EOL on a cellphone means I mean I have an Idea that it wont be provided in that store. so I looked around to find a clear definition and when I was looking around most of the sites said the same thing here is the definition I got:
an End-of-Life item in most cases means that the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for a device, such as firmware dates and bug fixes. Occasionally they will find a device that is defective and no longer suitable for use.

End-of-Life basically means that they will no longer install the device, either as a new or replacement device. In addition, it means they no longer recommend that customers purchase these devices, whether new or used. It is also an advance warning that the device will soon need to be replaced.

Typically, if a device is identified as End-of-Life, it will subsequently move to End-of-Support (EOS) status. This means that when a device reaches End-of-Support status, it will no longer work on their network or be compatible with their network and/or services

I didn't find this on T-Mobile site but this is what I could understand from searching on Bing, yahoo, Duck Duck Go, and Google and what I also understood why they would eol this phone maybe is because it didn't support LTE and since they were getting LTE they probably thought "oh since its not LTE capable lets not bother with it" even though it does annoy the crap out of me that they would do this but if my definition is true then ouch guys and girls we are sort of screwed :/

EDIT: BUT I found something else that I forgot to add because I have notes :p anyways I also understood that sometimes when a device gets EOL'ed it could mean that they had lots of people buying a certain item and then that manufacture or company has to do something about it and sometimes that is EOLing it so they can provide updates to a certain device and that also means that they get a team assembled to fix security problems, bugs and other issues BUT the consumer will not see any new devices so it means that EOL isn't bad as we migtht hink about it but im still leaning towards my first definition

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@sahib lopez - I don't know about the EOS part because I know my old Nokia 6103 flip phone that I got back in 2006 still works on T-Mobile, at least as of last year. I tested my SIM on it because I was having issues with text messaging on my iPhone 4, which is the phone I was using at the time. But what you posted about devices that get deemed EOL, specifically that updates are no longer provided to them, really hits home. I love how T-Mobile customer service reps keep saying "We still support the Lumia 810," given that nugget of information. -_-

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
@sahib lopez - I don't know about the EOS part because I know my old Nokia 6103 flip phone that I got back in 2006 still works on T-Mobile, at least as of last year. I tested my SIM on it because I was having issues with text messaging on my iPhone 4, which is the phone I was using at the time. But what you posted about devices that get deemed EOL, specifically that updates are no longer provided to them, really hits home. I love how T-Mobile customer service reps keep saying "We still support the Lumia 810," given that nugget of information. -_-

Oh I guess I didn't make it clear when I meant EOS I mean that I wouldn't physically stop working but there would be limited support or no support at all but again like I said my definition could be wrong and I hope it is :(

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
ok so I wanted to know what exactly EOL on a cellphone means I mean I have an Idea that it wont be provided in that store. so I looked around to find a clear definition and when I was looking around most of the sites said the same thing here is the definition I got:
an End-of-Life item in most cases means that the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for a device, such as firmware dates and bug fixes. Occasionally they will find a device that is defective and no longer suitable for use.

End-of-Life basically means that they will no longer install the device, either as a new or replacement device. In addition, it means they no longer recommend that customers purchase these devices, whether new or used. It is also an advance warning that the device will soon need to be replaced.

Typically, if a device is identified as End-of-Life, it will subsequently move to End-of-Support (EOS) status. This means that when a device reaches End-of-Support status, it will no longer work on their network or be compatible with their network and/or services

I didn't find this on T-Mobile site but this is what I could understand from searching on Bing, yahoo, Duck Duck Go, and Google and what I also understood why they would eol this phone maybe is because it didn't support LTE and since they were getting LTE they probably thought "oh since its not LTE capable lets not bother with it" even though it does annoy the crap out of me that they would do this but if my definition is true then ouch guys and girls we are sort of screwed :/

EDIT: BUT I found something else that I forgot to add because I have notes :p anyways I also understood that sometimes when a device gets EOL'ed it could mean that they had lots of people buying a certain item and then that manufacture or company has to do something about it and sometimes that is EOLing it so they can provide updates to a certain device and that also means that they get a team assembled to fix security problems, bugs and other issues BUT the consumer will not see any new devices so it means that EOL isn't bad as we migtht hink about it but im still leaning towards my first definition

sahib, I think that is the general concern of 810 (and soon T-Mobile 8X too) users. The EOS is the problem here, and I think we may just get one or maybe two updates going forward.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
sahib, I think that is the general concern of 810 (and soon T-Mobile 8X too) users. The EOS is the problem here, and I think we may just get one or maybe two updates going forward.

Oh of course it's the general concern :) but I thought of putting it and if you search up Nokia lumia 810 EOL you get wpcentral forums either in the first or second page and a 810 user might not know the situation so I decided to look for a definition to make it more understanding what EOL might mean. it's not in anyways to start an argument but to get a somewhat understanding definition to peeps that might not know what even EOL is :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh of course it's the general concern :) but I thought of putting it and if you search up Nokia lumia 810 EOL you get wpcentral forums either in the first or second page and a 810 user might not know the situation so I decided to look for a definition to make it more understanding what EOL might mean. it's not in anyways to start an argument but to get a somewhat understanding definition to peeps that might not know what even EOL is :)

Good call in putting up a definition there. I'm now at a point where I don't think we will see anything happen for the 810 until the next GRD announcement. I see Nokia updates the much sought after storage check tool...which is nice but we still lack the 1308 firmware to run it. I tell you, it is more of the same...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism