Rounded hole spotted on screen with dark image/video.

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I noticed there's is a small rounded shape near the front facing camera when the screen is displaying a black/dark image. It not like a pixel death or something, just the rounded shape is darker than the rest darken screen. Its easy to see it when playing a video where there's a loading screen that pitch black. Is it a manufacturing defect? Does someone else has it too? :cry:

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The sensor is directly to the left of the front facing camera...are you talking about that or do you mean there is a circle BELOW both the camera and the sensor that is on the actual LCD display? If on the LCD screen, where exactly (maybe upload an image of the front of the phone and add a circle where you see it - or if it is definitely on the LCD display, take a screen shot (window key+middle button) and circle or explain exactly the spot there where you see it).

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Its on the actual LCD/AMOLED display. I tried to capture the rounded thing with my N8 but failed cause its too dark. Maybe I'll try with someone Lumia 920. You CAN only see it on a pitch black/dark room, lets your eyes adjust to the dark 1st, then open a full black picture(create new file in paint and use bucket with black color). The perfect rounded circle is perfectly position aligned with the microphone.

lumiared.jpg

Screen shot doesn't show the hole, displaying full brightness with colorful image seems normal. If there's no sensor there, well I think its a defective screen.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, what is this??? I created a black 400x800 px image and saved it to my phone and pulled up the image while I was in the dark and I could see it BUT mine is in a different spot (maybe 3/4 inch from left and a little over an inch from the top measured from LCD, not body). There was also a blotch or an angled shape to the top and left of the circle. The circle is about 1/4 inch I'd say.
I tried the sensor in that area and everything seemed to work normally.
Also, I created white, red, green, blue, mid-grey, and light-grey images to see if it was noticeable with any of those but it was not. Like you said, it is only noticeable if you are in the dark and look at a black image....it's like no light is coming through that area whereas the rest of the screen has some light even though it is a black image.

I need to get some sleep so will check back later to see if anyone else has insight. I also have that tech manual for this phone so maybe it will have something in there about it...I will look later. It would be nice if a lot of people do this test (as well as the other Lumias) and see what the result is so we can see if it is with all phones or if it is really an issue with just some.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well before going to sleep I did a quick search and apparently amoled screens are known to have this issue (just do a search and you will see many results). So, I suppose the 920s won't have this issue since they do not have amoled screens. It would still be nice to see how many 820s and other amoled screened phones have this. I would have never noticed it if it was not for this thread so it is not affecting my usage at least.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
My 820 has it too. Even my 800 has some random spots around the display (but no hole).
Strangely, my OG Samsung GALAXY S does not have these problem although it uses the AMOLED panel too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes