Coming from HTC Trophy... need camera suggestions

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Longtime viewer, first time poster, I think. I am coming from the Trophy and I have been pretty happy with it. I am deciding between the two new Verizon W8 phones. I like the design of the 8X better, heck I even like the Trophy design better than the 822.
But.. I like the 822 based on Nokia apps thrown in,their support and hopefully its camera.. So, I am leaning to the 822, but I do wonder how any of you would compare the cameras between the two new phones and are they like " night and day" better or just "better" because than the Trophy's? I have seen the comparison photos done here and on other sites between the 8X and the 822, but would like to hear the opinion from someone who has used a Trophy and its camera ? thanks

Shadai

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the 822 gets the nod for expandable storage whereas the 8x is rocking exactly the same amount of free space as the trophy.

While it might not be a big deal, this is the crux of the problem for me, as two years with my trophy and it's gotten a smidge crowded what with all the apps, music, pictures and videos I've made, downloaded, and/or collected.

For me, as a "flagship" phone to not increase something as easy (and cheap nowadays) as onboard storage is just a sin. If you don't want to increase it, fine. But at least give us the option to expand.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Longtime viewer, first time poster, I think. I am coming from the Trophy and I have been pretty happy with it. I am deciding between the two new Verizon W8 phones. I like the design of the 8X better, heck I even like the Trophy design better than the 822.
But.. I like the 822 based on Nokia apps thrown in,their support and hopefully its camera.. So, I am leaning to the 822, but I do wonder how any of you would compare the cameras between the two new phones and are they like " night and day" better or just "better" because than the Trophy's? I have seen the comparison photos done here and on other sites between the 8X and the 822, but would like to hear the opinion from someone who has used a Trophy and its camera ? thanks

FWIW, I have always found the images from my old HTC Trophy to be so bad that almost anything would be an improvement. With that said, Nokia 822 photos taken in good light to be much better than the Trophy, but low light and flash are a mixed bag. They are still "better" but the results are inconsistent and (at their best) still poor in comparison to the other new Windows Phones. Granted, I would never buy a phone for its camera anyway. At the best of times, all marketing BS aside, the best in-phone camera on the market would not even qualify as a mid-level point and shoot. BTW, I also have found on both my first 822 and the warranty replacement that the camera button is middling (at best) with respect to tactile responsiveness. Other than the camera, you should also consider whether the Nokia apps are enough to justify a purchase. I don't use any of the other exclusives, but I find Nokia Drive to be anything but a selling point. While it is pretty enough, it is clumsy; lacks basic features that even the app on that Trophy had (flip ahead on a route); gives terrible directions in Scottsdale; and will not communicate through the hands free Bluetooth system in my 2011 Toyota Corolla.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree these cameras cannot replace a "camera" but are handy at times. Thanks for all the suggestions, I was really hoping that the Nokia Drive and Music would be the kicker. In addition to the native map app, I currently use a $4.99 turn by turn app with voice that works fine for me. No street names but does navigate. The memory is somewhat of an issue but I use Skydrive extensively.
Given the build quality I think I can expect from the HTC, not that the Nokia is bad, I may rethink it. thanks all. I'll go do another "hands-on" in a store and decide.

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I take lots of pics of my kid, mostly indoors. Initially I had a 8X and ended up swapping for the 822 mostly due to disappointments with the camera. 8X low light pics just didn't do the trick for me, even using autocorrect, pics where always grainy and blown out. Plus after loading some music I quickly was running out of space on the 8X. So camera and SD storage swayed me to the 822. Once I started using exclusives like the Nokia Music app I was super stoked I made the swap.

The Nokia Ecosystem rules and they are truly investing in it which makes me want to stay with Nokia devices. HTC hasn't released a useful application for WP8 as far as I'm concerned. HTC hub is a sad sad panda.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your take on it. I came to pretty much the same conclusions as you have. Good to hear what you experience has been with pics. I too will mainly be taking pics of kids and dogs, etc. with phone. I ordered the 822 today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon