Battery drain is HUGE - Is this even normal for ANY smartphone?!

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 822 has just been factory reset and now I got basically no power draining apps installed. All my radios are off EXCEPT WiFi and I'm going to keep it that way for some time (airplane mode, but turn on WiFi separately). ALL my background tasks are disabled, and I made sure I turned off all the "Send *blahblah* to Microsoft" just to see if that would make a difference. I've also turned off all the checkboxes in WiFi Advanced settings, such as "Notify me when new networks are found" and "Automatically connect to Wi-Fi hotspots. Email push sync schedule is changed to "Daily".

I've closed all my apps, and kept my phone in standby. I did periodical checks on the battery and recorded them.

Sadly, the battery decreased 4% per hour. What the $%&# ?! My LG Fathom Windows Mobile 6.5 device used to have much better battery life than this. >.<

Any troubleshooting ideas would all be greatly appreciated! If it's just a device issue and it seems none of your 822s suffer from this, I'll just have to try replacing either the phone or the battery. (maybe both)

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have basically everything turned on except Bluetooth. I have about 3 mailboxes that are checked periodically; one instantly. 4 applications with background tasks running and my home office is in the lower level where I spent most of my day. The cell reception is horrible and I get about 2% per hour drain.

I'm assuming you have the latest updates on the phone. So its either a battery or phone issue. I'd wait to see if anyone is getting the same or better as me.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Unless this was the case right out of the box you have done something to cause this. Sounds like factory reset time to me.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
my lumia 720 also drain a lot of battery, I just don't know why, I did what you said (but not to that extent) and yes the drain was the same, not much changed.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I find that there is something that triggers this battery drain, once I see my phone is losing juice at a rapid pace, I immediately turn it off and back on again.
Looks like some sort of bug, happens about once a week or so, sometimes more.
But some days battery is amazing, if only it was consistent all the time.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the input, appreciate it! Sorry for my post as it seemed a bit aggressive Dx I'm just thoroughly confused on how this happens!! And I don't think it will help to do a factory reset right after a factory reset :p

One deadly battery sucker I removed from my phone was Kik Messenger. Oh boy, it seems like the Windows Phone battery percentages suffer from inaccuracy/latency as the only explanation for a 40% drain in such a fast time is Kik. Use that darn app to chat for three hours, probably less and watch your battery die!!

I've been one day through since my factory reset and it seems something calmed down as it seems it is going back to regular discharge rates again... Although I HATE having to set manual email sync, I used to depend on it! Also, my start screen no longer looks "live" as all the live tiles are dead (because of disabling the background tasks)

Optimize, optimize, and optimize! I want to let my phone run things in background without simultaneously giving a capital punishment to my battery!

EDIT: Well folks, I still have my phone in the WiFi only state with background tasks disabled. Was viewing WPCentral for 20 minutes, and got a 9% drain. Is that reasonable?!

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Day 2: Battery was at forty-something percent, on standby, woke up with twenty-something percent. No alarms nor anything in background. o_O

Also, usage of People Hub for Twitter and Internet Explorer for 8 mins, with 3 mins of streaming killed 3%.

EDIT: Put phone into standby for the duration of my breakfast. 8% gone. 

EDIT2: Found something really interesting. I uninstalled Flashlight XT and it seems that my Lumia is going to the 1% drain/hour. Let's see if this lasts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes