Lumia 830 for $399 (no contract) from Rogers

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Picked it up at the Microsoft store in Metrotown for 399 with 30 day return. Rogers locked version. Came with green and black back covers. So far really nice.

Can you confirm the bands listed on the outside of the box, more specifically if the 1700/2100 is there.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I went and picked up the L830 today (Rogers/Canada) as a replacement for my L920 - testing the waters as I have a 15 day return policy. Since the L830 was announced I was pretty unconvinced that I would want one (to be fair, none of the L930, L1520 or HTC One M8 have really tempted me either for a variety of reasons, and I really couldn't be bothered to drop a couple hundred on Ebay for a phone I've never seen or tried). Using my upgrade opportunity I justified the "upgrade" in my mind as a "placeholder phone" - use it for six months until a real flagship comes out, then sell it on eBay.

I actually went to the store twice before caving, and even after signing all of the paperwork I was worried that I made a mistake. My greatest fears in making this switch was that it would be too slow, or maybe not as handsome as my L920, not as well built... well, here are my initial thoughts:

I have been using by L920 for a year and a half now (developer preview for the past few months) and I love it so was not in a huge rush to change, but two things always nagged me - weight (almost bought the ATIV two years ago) and lately it's been a bit "stuttery" - to the point I am afraid to pull it out in public (possibly the DP?). Battery life has also been a problem occasionally, but it has been great as of late (really since WP 8.1).

On paper the L830 wasn't that exciting, but I was intrigued by a couple of things:
1) weight - seriously, L920 is heavy
2) SD card - my L920 was full with only a modest amount of music and photos - I shouldn't have to stress about that, so SD card is v. cool
3) removable battery - not sure I really need it, especially with the larger battery and (on paper) lower power chipset, but there are gonna be heavy use days and so much less stressful to have an extra battery in your briefcase than anxiously look for a plug for your charger during meetings
4) Lumia Denim - it'll be 2016 before Rogers pushes through an update for my L920, or I could just buy it today.

I also thought that it is the best looking Lumia since the L1520... and looks matter! Another thought also crossed my mind - If I didn't buy this would WP simply abandon Canada? Certainly feels like that...

First thoughts:

1) Definitely faster- don't let Rubino's benchmark test today fool you - every single app and website I opened/went to was equal or faster on the L830. Ditto for the general OS smoothness (caveat, Developer Preview on my L920) - not sure how fast the HTC One for WIndows is, but this was no slouch
2) camera load much faster, probably about the same in terms of quality
3) screen bigger, quality essentially equivalent, but thin bezel sometimes a challenge customizing live tiles near the edges of the screen. Actually like the three tiles wide much better now with the bigger screen vs L920
4) Feels great in the hand - thin, light, great size overall phone size about the same (only slightly taller)
5) love the ability to change colors on the back (currently back and forth between green and black, will try to find an orange on line)
6) using the sensor to track my steps, love that
7) side buttons feel cheaper
8) weird USB placement on top - not a problem, just weird

Overall, yes - this is an upgrade - looks great, its faster, thinner, lighter, a slightly better camera, SD card, bigger (and removable) battery, sensor core, and still has glance. This is really growing on me! I can't wait to get an SD card tomorrow.

So I'm not returning it after 15 days (unless HTC One M8 for Windows announced), and I think this may even last a bit longer than the 6 months I had envisioned. In fact, I am pretty sure I will keep this until I see:

1) the exact same phone with Snapdragon 801 and 2M Ram. HD screen optional
2) a 5" L1520
3) HTC One M8 with a good 16MP camera
4) a Sony Xperia Z3 for Windows.

In other words I may have this for a lot longer than I thought.

If you're on the fence re: L830 feel free to send a message!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm the bands on the box are different than listed on Rogers' website. The box is showing band 4 for LTE, but not for WCDMA.

I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to unlock a Rogers 830 and see if it works on Wind.

Yup, looks like it's the RM-985... the first non-prototype of this variant I've seen.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I went and picked up the L830 today (Rogers/Canada) as a replacement for my L920 - testing the waters as I have a 15 day return policy. Since the L830 was announced I was pretty unconvinced that I would want one (to be fair, none of the L930, L1520 or HTC One M8 have really tempted me either for a variety of reasons, and I really couldn't be bothered to drop a couple hundred on Ebay for a phone I've never seen or tried). Using my upgrade opportunity I justified the "upgrade" in my mind as a "placeholder phone" - use it for six months until a real flagship comes out, then sell it on eBay.

I actually went to the store twice before caving, and even after signing all of the paperwork I was worried that I made a mistake. My greatest fears in making this switch was that it would be too slow, or maybe not as handsome as my L920, not as well built... well, here are my initial thoughts:

I have been using by L920 for a year and a half now (developer preview for the past few months) and I love it so was not in a huge rush to change, but two things always nagged me - weight (almost bought the ATIV two years ago) and lately it's been a bit "stuttery" - to the point I am afraid to pull it out in public (possibly the DP?). Battery life has also been a problem occasionally, but it has been great as of late (really since WP 8.1).

On paper the L830 wasn't that exciting, but I was intrigued by a couple of things:
1) weight - seriously, L920 is heavy
2) SD card - my L920 was full with only a modest amount of music and photos - I shouldn't have to stress about that, so SD card is v. cool
3) removable battery - not sure I really need it, especially with the larger battery and (on paper) lower power chipset, but there are gonna be heavy use days and so much less stressful to have an extra battery in your briefcase than anxiously look for a plug for your charger during meetings
4) Lumia Denim - it'll be 2016 before Rogers pushes through an update for my L920, or I could just buy it today.

I also thought that it is the best looking Lumia since the L1520... and looks matter! Another thought also crossed my mind - If I didn't buy this would WP simply abandon Canada? Certainly feels like that...

First thoughts:

1) Definitely faster- don't let Rubino's benchmark test today fool you - every single app and website I opened/went to was equal or faster on the L830. Ditto for the general OS smoothness (caveat, Developer Preview on my L920) - not sure how fast the HTC One for WIndows is, but this was no slouch
2) camera load much faster, probably about the same in terms of quality
3) screen bigger, quality essentially equivalent, but thin bezel sometimes a challenge customizing live tiles near the edges of the screen. Actually like the three tiles wide much better now with the bigger screen vs L920
4) Feels great in the hand - thin, light, great size overall phone size about the same (only slightly taller)
5) love the ability to change colors on the back (currently back and forth between green and black, will try to find an orange on line)
6) using the sensor to track my steps, love that
7) side buttons feel cheaper
8) weird USB placement on top - not a problem, just weird

Overall, yes - this is an upgrade - looks great, its faster, thinner, lighter, a slightly better camera, SD card, bigger (and removable) battery, sensor core, and still has glance. This is really growing on me! I can't wait to get an SD card tomorrow.

So I'm not returning it after 15 days (unless HTC One M8 for Windows announced), and I think this may even last a bit longer than the 6 months I had envisioned. In fact, I am pretty sure I will keep this until I see:

1) the exact same phone with Snapdragon 801 and 2M Ram. HD screen optional
2) a 5" L1520
3) HTC One M8 with a good 16MP camera
4) a Sony Xperia Z3 for Windows.

In other words I may have this for a lot longer than I thought.

If you're on the fence re: L830 feel free to send a message!

Great review, thanks for sharing. It should help many 920 owners who are are on the fence. Seems like the biggest benefits of the 830 for current/previous 920 owners are weight, battery life, SD, and camera speed (which should improve even further when Lumia Camera arrives).

Last edited:

Stertinius

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Dose the 830 in Canada come with wireless charging, after looking at rogers, fideo and Bell's web site, I have found no mention of wireless charging.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The Bell site states wireless charging. But then again it also shows the Android logo beside the OS.

The Nokia Lumia 830 from Bell Mobility | Bell Canada

LOL! Not seeing it here though, they might have changed it. "Windows 8.1" is listed as the operating system. Telus does the same.

Desktop mode please :)

Of the larger service providers, it seems Rogers lists more frequencies on their site than anybody else, including Fido, but the picture of the box seems to contradict that. Bell says the front-facing camera is 1MP. Telus and Fido also list the device as having a micro-SIM while Bell mentions nano-SIM. I was hoping my micro-SIM would be compatible, but the Lumia 830 IS nano-SIM, right?

Terrible.

Last edited:

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
LOL! Not seeing it here though, they might have changed it. "Windows 8.1" is listed as the operating system. Telus does the same.

Desktop mode please :)

Of the larger service providers, it seems Rogers lists more frequencies on their site than anybody else, including Fido, but the picture of the box seems to contradict that. Bell says the front-facing camera is 1MP. Telus and Fido also list the device as having a micro-SIM while Bell mentions nano-SIM. I was hoping my micro-SIM would be compatible, but the Lumia 830 IS nano-SIM, right?

Terrible.

Yeah, they corrected it a day later. I knew they would, it was just funny to see.

I noticed the same thing regarding Rogers 830 frequency specs. There must be someone out there with one that can settle it.

As luv said, it is nano sim. It's always good practice to confirm/verify specs, too many sites don't and post incorrect info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon