Lumia 830 battery life

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Like I just said, I guess (hope?) the system is clever enough to turn off mobile data when connected to WiFi...

It appears like the system is not that clever, this could be a firmware bug or even DP related. Will do a bit more testing to see what's going on.

It will not do that, because usually people like it when their phone receives text messages.

In that case there is definetly something going on because mine still receives SMS texts after turning off cell data

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
It will not do that, because usually people like it when their phone receives text messages.

Uhm...WHAT? :)
Your phone can access internet without WiFi, in your mobile chip is a modem included. You can turn that off seperately, and you will still receive sms. So that means when you use WiFi, it will just turn off that modem, but the normal telephone/sms function will still work, because they are 2 different things!!!

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
In that case there is definetly something going on because mine still receives SMS texts after turning off cell data

SMSes are not sent through Internet/Mobile Data/WiFI. It's just text messages sent through Mobile. So you can receive it iresspective of being connected to Internet.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The fact that you play asphalt 8, means you can stop with all the other optimizations. Playing that game will put your phone battery down and out in no time. No matter what smartphone is used and no matter what else you "fix", you won't see much difference. Stop playing for a day and see what battery life you get. I bet you'll easily make it to 1.5 or even 2 days that way. That would mean your device is working perfectly fine. You just had unrealistic expectations. Only if you then still have battery issues is it worth looking at everything else.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Regarding people thinking of SMS only, there is such a thing as MMS. Don't be so short sighted. Turning off data would be a stupid thing for the system to do.

omer620

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Dude get a 1320. Even when i play hardcore games it lasts 2 days. If i set it to plane mode with wifi only it lasts 4 days

Roger Deep

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Mobile data is not used when connected to WiFi, so this advice is useless.
Turning off gps could save saome juice, but I don't think its much. I don't see the "location" indicator very often on my phone...my 5 times a day...for few seconds.
Bluetooth turn off of course, hwho needs that anyway :)
I would turn off ALL those special wWiFi settings !

It depends on the person. I have bluetooth all day long on. I use it at home, but mostly in the car. And in the car I receive and make call and listen to mp3.
But I only have wifi on at home. GPS only when I'm on my bike outside.

When I'm not in the car or using bluetooth, the battery line if flat horizontal. So bluetooth too doesn't makes your battery to die sooner. There are days that I have wifi on all day and if I don't make calls or downloads, the battery is almost flat.

Conclusion: if you use the phone, it will use the battery.

But there is a serious problem on battery consumption: bad programs. And I find those more than I would want.

The best way to protect the battery life is to take a look at the battery line every hour. If it is not FLAT or almost flat, you have a problem. Many times I download a game or a program, and if you don't close it or restart the phone, it will drain the battery. It may not be critical but will waste more than you want.

So if you find such program or suspect of any, restart the phone, let it be for 1 hour without opening anything and you will see that the battery will have a flat line on wasting battery.

So now, just open the suspected program, press start and wait at least half hour. Check battery. Repeat process.

Oh, uninstall the bad program of course.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the person. I have bluetooth all day long on. I use it at home, but mostly in the car. And in the car I receive and make call and listen to mp3.
But I only have wifi on at home. GPS only when I'm on my bike outside.

When I'm not in the car or using bluetooth, the battery line if flat horizontal. So bluetooth too doesn't makes your battery to die sooner. There are days that I have wifi on all day and if I don't make calls or downloads, the battery is almost flat.

Conclusion: if you use the phone, it will use the battery.

But there is a serious problem on battery consumption: bad programs. And I find those more than I would want.

The best way to protect the battery life is to take a look at the battery line every hour. If it is not FLAT or almost flat, you have a problem. Many times I download a game or a program, and if you don't close it or restart the phone, it will drain the battery. It may not be critical but will waste more than you want.

So if you find such program or suspect of any, restart the phone, let it be for 1 hour without opening anything and you will see that the battery will have a flat line on wasting battery.

So now, just open the suspected program, press start and wait at least half hour. Check battery. Repeat process.

Oh, uninstall the bad program of course.

Where exactly do you get to see this "battery line"?

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Well i have done a bit more testing now and if i leave cell data on while also having wifi up i get MUCH more batterydrain then if i run with cell data off and wifi up. This is with having the phone locked on 2G with Edge. Now as far as i can tell the only thing this does affect is MMS, anything else would not be affected at all, in 10 years i have received perhaps 5 MMS's so for me this is a non issue (understatement?)

Why this makes such a big difference i do not know, the phone should make most data communication through wifi but it apprears that it uses 2G ALOT. In percentage per hour lost in battery the difference is about 1% for me, that's a crazy ammount.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe your phone has hardware defect or 2G is just crap and sucks battery instead of 3G.
I left my phone on over night without WiFi and lost 2%, with WiFi its the same.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Well i don't think there is anything wrong with my unit specifically, i just suspect that all 830's send a certain ammount of info through cell data even if you have WiFi activcated, on 3G or 4G it might not be noticable since they are multiple times faster then 2G. As i said in my previous post the issue is a bit of a non issue for me personaly since i simply turn it off.
wp_ss_20141113_0004.png
(Light to moderate usage, no apps closed, syncing accounts, 23h on wifi and 2h on 4G, 2h spotify etc etc)

arpit8070

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone finding the phone very hot. I mean on usage. My 830 start heating up on using it continously for 5 mins. Even if it is whatsapp or any other app. is it normal??

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well i don't think there is anything wrong with my unit specifically, i just suspect that all 830's send a certain ammount of info through cell data even if you have WiFi activcated, on 3G or 4G it might not be noticable since they are multiple times faster then 2G. As i said in my previous post the issue is a bit of a non issue for me personaly since i simply turn it off.
View attachment 87387
(Light to moderate usage, no apps closed, syncing accounts, 23h on wifi and 2h on 4G, 2h spotify etc etc)

If you are so certain then go tell MS!
They reason you have WiFi turned on is to save your data, so mobile is not being used. I don't see the indicator of my cellular showing up when connected to WiFi.
Even in datasense I tried to see something (was using few apps and checked after), but they all used WiFi!!

Jan Sochor

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

Definitely check your e-mail account synchronization (in settings - email and accounts) - if there's a text under the account, saying there is a problem syncing...
My 830 was having a problem with my google account and what I think was happening, was that the phone was constantly trying to connect to it, so the battery was dropping even when totally idle (not hugely, but at least like 1,5, 2% every hour)... I deleted the account and kept just the outlook one (that has gmail forwarding anyway) and so far 2hours and zero battery drop. Maybe what might also help would be to just set the email synchronization to manual...

Also, Skype for some reason was eating crazy, crazy lot, like 8% battery when just messaging for 15minutes (idk, how that translated to after skype was closed), but a lot of users complained about a riddiculous battery draining in Skype. so I deleted Skype as well...for the time being

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes