RM-985 with Denim firmware?

Pastrami1

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I noticed stores like newegg and B&H have started to sell the Lumia 830 (with B&H specifically mentioning RM-985). However, I thought I remember reading that the RM-985 830's are still stuck on Cyan and do not have the Denim update yet. Am I wrong about this?

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the RM-985s which didn't have Denim were pre-release prototypes being sold on eBay. The RM-985 is actually the officially variant for Latin America and Canada, and the RM-985s being sold in Canada for sure have Denim (I bought one from there, got it unlocked, and am using it on T-Mo US, with LTE, working very nicely), so I would assume that B&H is selling unlocked official release RM-985s with Denim.

sufferingpikes

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I think the RM-985s which didn't have Denim were pre-release prototypes being sold on eBay. The RM-985 is actually the officially variant for Latin America and Canada, and the RM-985s being sold in Canada for sure have Denim (I bought one from there, got it unlocked, and am using it on T-Mo US, with LTE, working very nicely), so I would assume that B&H is selling unlocked official release RM-985s with Denim.

Which carrier did you buy from, Fido? I'm planning on going the same route and just wanted to know if the experience was all that bad. I'll be in Canada for Christmas, so I'm hoping on catching some Boxing Day sales.

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I bought from Fido. The experience was AWFUL. Do not, under ANY circumstances, buy anything from Fido!!! They currently can't unlock ANY Nokia phones at all using their automated systems, so they have to manually find the paper fax with the unlock code, which can take 6-8 weeks. I had to file a government complaint (and put pressure on them via Nokia and public FB posts) to get the unlock code, and it still took > 4 weeks. Fido sucks *** quite frankly in every possible way; every one of my customer service experiences was just utterly horrible. I have no idea if their parent company, Rogers, would be any better, but I wouldn't bet on it. If I had to do it over again I MIGHT buy from Telus, but Telus charge $500 for the fully paid phone which they promise to unlock, so at that point I think its safer and easier to just get the unlocked phone from B&H.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas