When will the Lumia 830 Denim update come out?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm also eagerly waiting for the new Denim update to get the Lumia Camera app + more working!

The Microsoft Availability list also gets me a little bit worried as the 830 is not even listed! :(
h t t p : / / w w w .microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

I hope the get the damn update rolled out soon!

Anyone know where it is already rolling out or has rolled out already?

it will only be listed once the rollout begins, for example scroll down to United Kingdom it has the Vodafone variant listed as Vodafone has begun rolling out the latest denim update to 830, but Microsoft has yet to release the update to unlocked devices.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Realizing that in the grand scheme of things this "Denimgate" matters little, one thing is bothering me beyond MS's failure here: Not one journalistic source has written about the clear misrepresentation of the 830 to consumers and called MS out. As I've said before, for decades we've let software companies get away with this kind of crap. It's just another day in tech and not considered news.

But, if someone had the will and resources the 830 has class-action written all over it. The fact is, if I had known the 830 was going to require another firmware update (rather than a simple store update as we were led to believe) to get the advertised features, I probably wouldn't have purchased it. Instead I would have looked at another option or held off until the carriers here had the update. As is stands now, there's no telling when the Canadian carries are going to release it. It could be in a couple of hours or it could be months.

No big deal at the end of the day as there are bigger problems to be deal with, but I'm finding this is really getting under my skin. Probably far more than it should.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Realizing that in the grand scheme of things this "Denimgate" matters little, one thing is bothering me beyond MS's failure here: Not one journalistic source has written about the clear misrepresentation of the 830 to consumers and called MS out. As I've said before, for decades we've let software companies get away with this kind of crap. It's just another day in tech and not considered news.

But, if someone had the will and resources the 830 has class-action written all over it. The fact is, if I had known the 830 was going to require another firmware update (rather than a simple store update as we were led to believe) to get the advertised features, I probably wouldn't have purchased it. Instead I would have looked at another option or held off until the carriers here had the update. As is stands now, there's no telling when the Canadian carries are going to release it. It could be in a couple of hours or it could be months.

No big deal at the end of the day as there are bigger problems to be deal with, but I'm finding this is really getting under my skin. Probably far more than it should.
With you on this one, next thing you know they'll be telling us "sorry your device is too outdated to receive any more updates", sounds crazy but the phone is already close to 4 months old and we all know the life span of electronics these days before you get kicked to the curb... My Ativ S got slam dunked by my carrier in 9 months and if it weren't for PFD it would still be sitting in the same place when I bought it, the clock is ticking. :unhappy:

Last edited:

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
After updating extras +info today... I can already install lumia camera 5

Update: Download is still in "pending". Dont know if its just a bug...

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Being able to install LC5 will have nothing to do with the extras+info update. I believe they just flipped the switch on 830 compatibility as some 830s now have the final update. I was able to install from the store a week or so ago even without that final update.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Being able to install LC5 will have nothing to do with the extras+info update. I believe they just flipped the switch on 830 compatibility as some 830s now have the final update. I was able to install from the store a week or so ago even without that final update.

Is the LC5 working properly in your 830?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

It's not a bug you don't have the Denim update. LC5 won't be fully functional without it,
save the video camera which seems to be fully functional on my non updated 830

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

No one flipped the switch your carrier or country and RM variant have to had the Denim updated to you phone. The LC5 won't be fully functional without it. If you do a master reset on your phone you wont be able to install LC5 until the next minor update if you do. LC5 went from 5.01 to 5.02 on 15/01 that's when it was easily downloaded give it a few weeks and MS will block it again like they did with 5.01

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No. My phone wasn't updated to the latest denim. The app simply became searchable and installable from the store where previously it wasn't. So, something was updated in the apps compatibility from MS's end. Nothing changed on my end or my carriers. Regardless, the app is still unusable..The above was posted as a fyi as there's a lot of confusion out there still.

EDIT. I see what you're saying. The update to 5.02 probably did it then as you say. But, I think you'll find that it will remain installable from now on as that date was right around the time 830s began to receive the denim update. Anyway...moot point as it's useless to me without the final denim update and I've uninstalled it.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No. My phone wasn't updated to the latest denim. The app simply became searchable and installable from the store where previously it wasn't. So, something was updated in the apps compatibility from MS's end. Nothing changed on my end or my carriers. Regardless, the app is still unusable..The above was posted as a fyi as there's a lot of confusion out there still.

EDIT. I see what you're saying. The update to 5.02 probably did it then as you say. But, I think you'll find that it will remain installable from now on as that date was right around the time 830s began to receive the denim update. Anyway...moot point as it's useless to me without the final denim update and I've uninstalled it.

Yes I have to use the back button to open Lumia 5 but the video is fully functional as it would be in an 830 with the Denim update
The added video features mentioned makes it worth the hassle to click back then then open the camera on that alone.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 830 Denim Udpate.

Downloaded the app but told me to update to the latest denim firmware... Feb is already here... And Win 10 is almost here for the people who are using the "insider program". But most of us doesnt have the denim update...

muzza59

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I have seen the relevant update available to me for a couple of days (as per the web site) but not being offered to me.
Simply un-ticking the 'Preview For Developers' app option did the trick - Lumia Camera now all good.

More details have been posted on:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpcamera/unable-to-use-lumia-camera-v5-on-denim/effd02a7-543a-4dc5-a3ab-8b577507a7d4]unable to use Lumia Camera v5 on Denim - Microsoft Community

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 830 Denim Udpate.

Downloaded the app but told me to update to the latest denim firmware... Feb is already here... And Win 10 is almost here for the people who are using the "insider program". But most of us doesnt have the denim update...
Yep and next thing we'll know it'll be March, like I said before the clock is ticking, time waits for no one and soon our 830's will garner the same status as many others, "end of life". Love WP but now having owned three I'm definitely not very impressed with the support any of them have received, apps not withstanding, too sporadic in my opinion and if it weren't for PFD it would be downright dismal.

toraji

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
bought the 830 last week and was surprised not to find the lumia camera app as default but after reading several forums it was clear the 830 does not have the options for the camera as promised (actually very disappointed in Microsoft because of this) the denim firmware installed is clearly not the latest denim but I did find a way to go around it by reading many posts this is the one that made lumia camera (after downloading it from the store) work:

"When the app opens and the message appears, press and hold the back button. It will open multitasking. Now just go back to Lumia Camera and it's done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi.

I was unable to see the Lumia Camera app on the store, but today I found it and installed it and the same annoying message appeared to me. I found a solution: When the app opens and the message appears, press and hold the back button. It will open multitasking. Now just go back to Lumia Camera and it's done. I have a Brazilian Lumia 830 with Canadian firmware. I'm very disappointed with Microsoft, because they lied about the Lumia 830 and Lumia Denim update...

The app is working very well and WOW, it's very fast, but no rich capture yet, at least not for 830.

Thank you for the tip Pedro!!!! This also worked for me!!! Hope it will last and not brake again....But still MSFT needs to iron out these issues. We are talking about a device (830) that is very new in the market and should not have these issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks to RafinhaPedro for posting this solution/work around!!!

lumia 830 rich capture - Microsoft Community

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
bought the 830 last week and was surprised not to find the lumia camera app as default but after reading several forums it was clear the 830 does not have the options for the camera as promised (actually very disappointed in Microsoft because of this) the denim firmware installed is clearly not the latest denim but I did find a way to go around it by reading many posts this is the one that made lumia camera (after downloading it from the store) work:
"When the app opens and the message appears, press and hold the back button. It will open multitasking. Now just go back to Lumia Camera and it's done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi.

I was unable to see the Lumia Camera app on the store, but today I found it and installed it and the same annoying message appeared to me. I found a solution: When the app opens and the message appears, press and hold the back button. It will open multitasking. Now just go back to Lumia Camera and it's done. I have a Brazilian Lumia 830 with Canadian firmware. I'm very disappointed with Microsoft, because they lied about the Lumia 830 and Lumia Denim update...

The app is working very well and WOW, it's very fast, but no rich capture yet, at least not for 830.

Thank you for the tip Pedro!!!! This also worked for me!!! Hope it will last and not brake again....But still MSFT needs to iron out these issues. We are talking about a device (830) that is very new in the market and should not have these issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks to RafinhaPedro for posting this solution/work around!!!

lumia 830 rich capture - Microsoft Community

But VIDEO capture works as it should with the ability to adjust WB, focus and brightness while videoing. Camera is faster but can't enable JPG+DNG to make two copies, a high and low resolution file even tho you can "enable" it in general settings and reframing doesn't work in any mode.

toraji

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
But VIDEO capture works as it should with the ability to adjust WB, focus and brightness while videoing. Camera is faster but can't enable JPG+DNG to make two copies, a high and low resolution file even tho you can "enable" it in general settings and reframing doesn't work in any mode.

thanks, have not fully tested all options but good to know

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck updating the 830 RM-984 unlocked version? I have one and so far no luck yet. I have the camera v.5 but it tells me to update.

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck updating the 830 RM-984 unlocked version? I have one and so far no luck yet. I have the camera v.5 but it tells me to update.

I've

About half a month ago I used Nokia Support Tool for Store to flash a CV ROM from Belgium to my 830 and it already had the latest Denim update, Camera 5 included.

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So you flashed it "to" the Belgium version. Where do you get this "Nokia Support Tool"?
Thanks.
I've

About half a month ago I used Nokia Support Tool for Store to flash a CV ROM from Belgium to my 830 and it already had the latest Denim update, Camera 5 included.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon