Question to Lumia 830 users regarding tempered glass screen protector.

Vincent Roi Mendoza

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Im using a lumia 830, and i installed a tempered glass screen protector on it. Not sure if the issue is with the screen protector or with the phone compatibility. I bought the protector off of ebay for just a few dollars. I cannot press the search button and the back button is hit or miss since i installed the screen protector. The home buttin works fine though. Anyone of you guys having the same issue as me? Thanks

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Im using a lumia 830, and i installed a tempered glass screen protector on it. Not sure if the issue is with the screen protector or with the phone compatibility. I bought the protector off of ebay for just a few dollars. I cannot press the search button and the back button is hit or miss since i installed the screen protector. The home buttin works fine though. Anyone of you guys having the same issue as me? Thanks

Having similar issues with my screen protector installed (polyurethane), would say going by all the complaints about this on the L830 it is the phone itself that's the problem, many state removing protector helps.

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

These screen protectors often causes problems with capacitive buttons.

Alcarnor14

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had no issues with capacitive buttons on other phones. Seems the 830's buttons aren't as sensitive there. I've had trouble with it as well, with a screen protector applied. The Search button wouldn't work very well at all. Going to try one of the Skinomi ones and see how that works.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Tempered glass protectors are completely flat. 830 screen is quite curved. Most likely you have a significant area around the edges of the screen where the protector doesn't actually make contact with the screen. So pressing where the capacitive buttons are will not actually contact the screen glass, just the protector glass.

I think you would have to use one of the protectors that you wet when you apply and they shrink to the screen and fit the curve.

I would prefer Microsoft use flat screens on their higher end phones for this reason... I love tempered glass, but it's unusable on many of their phones. Curved glass feels nice, but is not worth the loss of protection options imo.

holymell

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I've never had this happen. But I have heard that the wet application as well as the tempered glass protectors somehow disable the capacitive buttons. I just use the cheap ones that come in packs of three, and they never impact my capacitive buttons, but ymmv.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I concur with others that say it is a problem with the capacitive buttons on the Lumia 830 itself. I've never had any issues with any other phone with the plastic film screen protector, but the search button became unusable after installing the screen protector. Sometimes, even without the screen protector, I have to make sure to touch the search button in exactly the right spot to get the button to function correctly.

My solution was to trim off the bottom of the screen protector that covers the capacitive buttons, but of course, this is not an option for the glass screen protectors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes