Lumia Windows 10 Mobile query from an Android user

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
** This will be both an extension & new thread from my previous one**

Hi. I am attracted to the concept of Microsoft Lumia phones having excellent build quality, great battery life, priority updates and top-of-it's- class cameras. But as an Android user i need to ask these questions:
1. Is Windows 10 Mobile out for the 830 or everyone right now? Why does updates seem a bit late this time?

2. I need Google Maps because i need it for my job. I need Google Photos because everytime i take a photo on my phone it saves it automatically on Google servers/cloud so i won't lose them forever and no need to back them up when changing devices. I need Google+ because when i comment on Youtube it is my first port of call in seeing the replies and in replying to them. I may forego with Keep as i can use Evernote. I need Google Drive because that is where i save/back-up some important photos or documents. Never used OneDrive. Need advice on alternatives or clients for these apps.

3. Looking for excellent Chromecast apps out there. Are there any good 3rd-party ones?

4. Does notifications appear on the lockscreen? Is there a way to swipe or cancel them like Android? And is there a way to easily open the notifications on the app itself with a single tap or swipe?

5. Offline - Does WP 8.1 or 10 has the ability to save websites for easy offline reading?

6. Sharing photos - I need the vastness of sharing options (like Android) of my photos to 3rd-party apps like email, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Is this feature built-in on 8.1 or 10?

Would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Hi. I am attracted to the concept of Microsoft Lumia phones having excellent build quality, great battery life, priority updates and top-of-it's- class cameras. But as an Android user i need to ask these questions:
1. Is Windows 10 Mobile out for the 830 or everyone right now? Why does updates seem a bit late this time?

2. I need Google Maps because i need it for my job. I need Google Photos because everytime i take a photo on my phone it saves it automatically on Google servers/cloud so i won't lose them forever and no need to back them up when changing devices. I need Google+ because when i comment on Youtube it is my first port of call in seeing the replies and in replying to them. I may forego with Keep as i can use Evernote. I need Google Drive because that is where i save/back-up some important photos or documents. Never used OneDrive. Need advice on alternatives or clients for these apps.

3. Looking for excellent Chromecast apps out there. Are there any good 3rd-party ones?

4. Does notifications appear on the lockscreen? Is there a way to swipe or cancel them like Android? And is there a way to easily open the notifications on the app itself with a single tap or swipe?

5. Offline - Does WP 8.1 or 10 has the ability to save websites for easy offline reading?

6. Sharing photos - I need the vastness of sharing options (like Android) of my photos to 3rd-party apps like email, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Is this feature built-in on 8.1 or 10?

I can help a bit. Windows 10 Mobile isn't out yet because it's still in development. You can install it on your device by signing up to the Windows Insiders program but this is an all-new program that allows you to test technical previews of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile (and now Xbox) and submit feedback directly to Microsoft. It's not recommended if you're not very good with phones or computers and if you're not willing to either deal with potential bugs and glitches, missing features, or the need to hard reset at any time thus losing your data. The release timeframe for Windows 10 Mobile is projected to start in December. RTM should be released to Windows Insiders probably two weeks before then.
Notifications do appear on the Lockscreen but they're done a bit differently. Instead of white bars on the Lockscreen they appear as icons on the bottom of the screen that show you how many messages you have, how many emails, how many notifications from this news application, how many missed phone calls, etc. It's not perfect and I would improve it in several key ways but it could always come in a future update. Windows 10 Mobile is great in the fact that, like Windows 10, it'll constantly improve unlike one major update a year like Android or iOS. The Action Center (notifications center) is pretty great on Windows 10 Mobile however bringing you lots of Quick Actions (shortcuts and such), more gesture support, and actionable notifications (the ability to reply to text messages and such) which wasn't available in Windows Phone 8.1.
Sharing is very good in Windows 10 Mobile however as of right now (in the latest Insider build) sharing pictures to third-party apps isn't working. Just part of testing unreleased technical previews of a mobile operating system.

Now for Google alternatives or offline websites I'm not sure. I don't use any Google services anymore (I no longer trust Google services because of past events) and I've found that Microsoft services are equal and in many cases better than equivalent Google services. I'm not sure if Microsoft Edge has the offline viewing but that may be built into Reading List you'll have to wait for someone else to give you that information as it's not a feature I use.

I hope I was able to help!

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Ok im not sure if i will be the first to reply, or help you with all the questions, but i may answer some.

1. Windows 10 Mobile is still in developing stage, should be released in December. You can set up windows insider app, and you will get builds if you didn't do that yet.

2. Google is dodging MS, so there are no google apps in our store. The only good alternative to google maps is an app g+, also has some kind of street view. It was awailable in 8.1, not sure for W10. Even youtube app is missing, a good alternative is Tubecast, even better imo, also has a DLNA thing to stream. Google drive has an app as well, for the rest, i don't know.

3. Lumia PlayTo. Some have reported it doesn't work in Win10 yet, but 8.1 should be fine. There is one thing in the settings called share your screen, it might help you as well.

4. You can set up to 5 apps to show notifications on lock screen, but can't dismiss them, tho there are some other apps for more lockscreen options - Tetra lockscreen is one of best i believe.

5. I think you can only save to reading list, or pin a web page as a tile on start screen, but not offline.

6. Once in gallery, each photo opens a menu when u press edit button. It shows all the possible installed apps to use, edit or share. Same is inside the apps, you can share via all the apps installed meant for sharing. If you use this a lot, stick to 8.1, as browsing attachments in W10 is still not done, and causes apps to crash.

ps: I would suggest you to move files from Google drive to Onedrive (preffered) or dropbox. It might be easier for you.

Hope i helped you one bit :)

Last edited:

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, i undertstand there will be notifications on the lockscreen. But i can't swipe to cancel them or go to the individual apps to find the aforementioned notification?

Can i i install third-party keyboards for WP 8.1 or 10 mobile?

Why is there no full offline reading? So if i'm on the plane or Underground can i still view my "Reading List" to read offline or not?

Please clarify about sharing photos. Can i easily edit and then share them to other 3rd-party ways?

I heard there are 3rd-party Google apps in the Windows store. Can anyone recommend anything good?

Also is there an option to transfer or install all apps on the microsSD card rather then the built-in memory as sometimes 8GB is not enough.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
So, i undertstand there will be notifications on the lockscreen. But i can't swipe to cancel them or go to the individual apps to find the aforementioned notification?

Can i i install third-party keyboards for WP 8.1 or 10 mobile?

Why is there no full offline reading? So if i'm on the plane or Underground can i still view my "Reading List" to read offline or not?

Please clarify about sharing photos. Can i easily edit and then share them to other 3rd-party ways?

I heard there are 3rd-party Google apps in the Windows store. Can anyone recommend anything good?

Also is there an option to transfer or install all apps on the microsSD card rather then the built-in memory as sometimes 8GB is not enough.

With Windows Phone 8.1 you can't install third-party keyboards but this may change with Windows 10 Mobile. Also, I'd suggest trying the default keyboard as it's very good and has it's own Swype integrated into it called Wordflow that's actually very good.

Again, not sure about offline reading as I've never done it, I might try it later but I don't have a whole lot of time right this second.

Editing and sharing photos is very easy in both Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile but as of right now, for Windows 10 Mobile in the development process, sharing doesn't work very well. It should be fixed next build.

There are third-party apps and some of them are better than the default Google apps on Android. I like Perfect Tube for YouTube and it's free. I don't use any other Google apps so can't help you there.

Windows Phone has treated microSD cards like that for a long time. You sure can install apps to it.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
To the original poster...

In all honesty, if you're as entrenched in Google's services as you say, you'd be better off staying with Android. The switch can certainly be made, but you WILL be making sacrifices.

What you can do-- as a field test of sorts-- is use all available Microsoft apps/services on Android instead of the Google offerings. If they work for you there, you can probably make them work for you here.

My two cents....

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a good RSS reader you guys can recommend?

Can i not save a website as a .pdf file for offline reading?

Is there an option to save an app to the microSD card automatically (or all the time) or will i be prompted everytime i want to install an app?

Stupid question: How fast does a Lumia camera boot up and how quick is the shutter button? (or is this question dependent on the hardware?)

Is there a "unified" notifications centre app or client (much like Blackberry Hub) where i can see all my notifications, go to the individual app and respond to that notification myself?

Everyone kept saying how easy it is to share photos on WP 8.1. But i am interested to know if like Android i can share a photo via many ways such as via email , bluetooth, NFC, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, etc. all on-the-fly and/or within the said app?

Was there a Lumia Denim "Update 2" (or 3?) and what were the enhancements?

Is there an option on the latest WP8.1/Denim update that allows you to arrange the Settings alphabetically or by Category?

Is there a customisable equalizer on the built-in music player? What other good 3rd-party music player you guys can recommend?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Nextgen reader.

I believe Microsoft's Reading List app has an offline feature.

Is there an option to save an app to the microSD card automatically (or all the time) or will i be prompted everytime i want to install an app?

Yes, there is a persistent option available in setting.

Stupid question: How fast does a Lumia camera boot up and how quick is the shutter button? (or is this question dependent on the hardware?)

It will depend on hardware, but generally very quickly. Especially with the latest Lumia camera...the Microsoft Camera in Windows 10 is becoming very quick as well.

Is there a "unified" notifications centre app or client (much like Blackberry Hub) where i can see all my notifications, go to the individual app and respond to that notification myself?

Action Center will serve that function.

Everyone kept saying how easy it is to share photos on WP 8.1. But i am interested to know if like Android i can share a photo via many ways such as via email , bluetooth, NFC, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, etc. all on-the-fly and/or within the said app?

Yes. The app needs to support it, but those options are all available (not 100% sure on bluetooth or NFC, though...never had occasion to want that).

8.2 (not widely available) added a few features. The only notable one was a reorganized settings screen. Windows 10 Mobile has this by default, of course.

Is there an option on the latest WP8.1/Denim update that allows you to arrange the Settings alphabetically or by Category?

See above. Like Windows on the desktop, it's all categorized for you.

Is there a customisable equalizer on the built-in music player? What other good 3rd-party music player you guys can recommend?

If the hardware supports it, the equalizer is system wide and available in settings.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

The Storage Sense app allows to you to set defaults. So all new apps will automatically install to the microSD card if you set it in the Storage Sense app. You can also do the same for photos, videos, music, and generic downloads.
It does depend on hardware but Lumia Camera 5 on PureView devices is very fast and takes great photos. I'm loving it on my Lumia 830. The shutter button is fast and great for launching the camera within a second when the screen is off.
There's the Action Center, which is like the notifications center for Android.
Again, yes you can share to all those apps. Sharing is pretty much identical to Android it just looks different.
Lumia Denim is a firmware update. It enables Lumia Camera 5 on PureView devices like the Lumia 830. It makes the camera faster when booting up, shot-to-shot, and in processing. It also adds amazing features like Rich Capture and Dynamic Flash. Update 2 (GDR2) is different. It brings an all new Settings menu that's organized into categories and adds a search. It also makes a few UI changes and Cortana improvements. It's a good solid update. I'm rocking it on my Lumia 830 and it just flies (so does the camera) and I can take some amazing pictures with this phone.
There's a built-in equalizer in Settings that's customizable. There's also a bunch of presets to choose from. The built-in music player isn't GREAT it's better on Windows 10 Mobile but it's serviceable. I like Find My Music Too as a music alternative as it's customizable, fast, and has a good interface. It's not perfect as when you first start the the first thing you open requires two taps not one. After that it's smooth and buttery but the first thing you open needs two taps.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When you save a website page as "Add to my Favourites" does it act as if to read it in offline mode? (even without network signal) And how can i easily go back to the browser to view that same webpage?

I have seen Action Center and it would seem like a widget that lives on top of your screen when you swipe down. Is that how it is? Functions seem to suit me.

If say Evernote is installed will the phone "detect" it to enable sharing of photos?

Are you saying that the Lumia Denim Update 2 isn't available to all Lumia phones? Or is it becoming a "standard practice" that when an update arrives it arrives for ALL phones much like what Apple does to its iOS devices?

Would you guys say the camera on the 640 or 830 (with the most recent update) flies like that of the iPhone? The iPhone camera opens up with just a single swipe. Opening the "gallery" also is quite quick. My Galaxy J5 has double tap the Home button to open the camera and it opens between 1-2 seconds. Settings is also very simple and quick to access. Why would i want to choose a Lumia camera than an iPhone or Galaxy phone?

I am also looking for a good 3rd-party Persicope app. Any recomendations?

I also noticed when i went to an O2 store the Lumia 630 had the latest Update 2 but there were slowdown in searching an app and downloading an app. The windows animations looks cool but i thought its just a "mask" for the phone just loading up things. Would you agree?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
When you save a website page as "Add to my Favourites" does it act as if to read it in offline mode? (even without network signal) And how can i easily go back to the browser to view that same webpage?

I have seen Action Center and it would seem like a widget that lives on top of your screen when you swipe down. Is that how it is? Functions seem to suit me.

If say Evernote is installed will the phone "detect" it to enable sharing of photos?

Are you saying that the Lumia Denim Update 2 isn't available to all Lumia phones? Or is it becoming a "standard practice" that when an update arrives it arrives for ALL phones much like what Apple does to its iOS devices?

Would you guys say the camera on the 640 or 830 (with the most recent update) flies like that of the iPhone? The iPhone camera opens up with just a single swipe. Opening the "gallery" also is quite quick. My Galaxy J5 has double tap the Home button to open the camera and it opens between 1-2 seconds. Settings is also very simple and quick to access. Why would i want to choose a Lumia camera than an iPhone or Galaxy phone?

I am also looking for a good 3rd-party Persicope app. Any recomendations?

I also noticed when i went to an O2 store the Lumia 630 had the latest Update 2 but there were slowdown in searching an app and downloading an app. The windows animations looks cool but i thought its just a "mask" for the phone just loading up things. Would you agree?

The Action Center behaves a lot like the Android notifications center it just looks differently.

Lumia Denim isn't available to all Lumias because it wouldn't do anything to a lot of Lumias. It's only available for PureView devices like the Lumia 830, Lumia 1520, and Lumia 930. Lumia Denim is all about the camera and not all of the Lumia devices can benefit from it.

The Lumia 830 with Lumia Denim is wicked fast. It has a dedicated camera shutter on the right side, and you press it once to open the camera app in less than in a second. A half press of this button focuses, and full press takes the picture, and a long press can be configured to take video, do burst shots, or whatever. The Lumia Camera app (soon to be Windows Camera in Windows 10 Mobile) is the most beautiful camera application I know of and it's very easy to use with a full manual mode built right into the app that you can use on all phone with it. It also brings amazing features like Rich Capture (HDR that you can edit after shot) and Dynamic Flash (flash that you can edit after shot). Lumia Camera 5 also has Living Images built into it, which used to be a separate application I'm pretty sure. Living Images is Microsoft's answer to Live Photos on the iPhone, except Living Images existed two whole years before Live Photos did. The Lumia 830 has an amazing camera. 10MP PureView with OIS which is something not even the iPhone 6s has (the 6 and 6s plus do). I absolutely love how fast it is to just pull it out and access the camera without even turning the phone on. I love the control I get over ISO, exposure, shutter speed, manual focus, all of it. Hope that answers your question. If you want a fast, beautiful camera, you want a Lumia PureView with Lumia Denim (Lumia 830, 930, or 1520...or the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL).

The Lumia 630 is an older phone with the lowest end processor available at the time from Qualcomm. It's been replaced since then so not only is it the lowest of low end it's also outdated. Android seriously struggles on that processor or in fact on that entire line of processors which is why you really only see it in Windows Phones. Why? Because Windows Phone runs incredibly smooth on all hardware. Yes, the animations was a mask for the phone loading up things, but it still felt smooth and fast, right? Fast for a phone that likely cost well under a hundred dollars at that store. Under $50, if you look. My Lumia 520, which is even lower end and older, is still running strong on Windows 10 Mobile Build 10572. So yeah the annimations were hiding loading bars but on Android the phone would probably just give up and crash.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Nextgen Reader and Fedora Reader are two of the best RSS reader.

Default 8.1 browser doesn't support save to PDF, you need 3rd party app, like Opera Mini that will store the web page you're viewing even while offline, but it doesn't save them as PDF. Not sure if there are app that can save to PDF, but some websites offer that functionality.

Windows 10 browser can save page in reading mode which available offline.

Camera launch speed depends on hardware, so it varies, but on 520, the most lowest spec phone on WP8(dual core S4@1GHz, 512MB RAM, 3yo), camera open in 2 seconds. In 1520, the highest spec one (Quad core SD800, 2GB RAM), I'd say it's instantaneous.

Last edited:

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm cho0sing between the Lumia 630 or the 830 but i'm gearing towards the latter as my first phone of choice. Yes the UI and animations seems smooth and responsive to an extent unlike Android that just load up when pressed. I like it so far. But as i said the only "slowness" i have noticed is when searching for apps on the Windows store and downloading the apps. But on the other hand this could be down to the wifi connection at the O2 store i went. You think so?

If i were to rate in percentage of the apps i have found so far in terms of equivalent or alternate i would say 70%. The 30% though is the "most important" to me as that is for my Google-centric apps. But i found out with the WebApps app i can access my Google apps there although not as polished or quick as a "normal" app. Or i could be mistaken.

The camera features and speed seems to be in line with what i like. I just hope low-light shots are as good as what it was advertised. And that there are no overprocessing of shots especially when the LED light is used. Or purple fringing.

I'm looking for a proper alternative app/client of Google Maps as i need especially with voice-guided walking navigation. I have seen GMaps, Here Maps but do they actually have those features?

Is there a feature within the music player to set a song as a ringtone?

I'm also looking for a good medical dictionary/all-in-one app such as looking for medical terms, checking BMI, malnutrition score, etc. Any suggestions guys?

I will miss Appy Geek as there is no equivalent on the Windows Store.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
830 is a better choice of course, though both have similar processing power 830 has top of the line camera, while 640 is mid-to-low end.

About the slowness of Store, I don't have fact, only my opinion, but it's indeed slower for downloading and searching than Play Store, also weirdly, it depends on the app, some app is really slow to download in some region, probably they don't store all the app in same location but scattered throughout the world depends on the app maker's location? Anyway that's just a wild guess. I live in Asia.

There are some non web apps Google's client

YouTube > myTube!, Tubecast for Youtube, MetroTube, Tube Prp
Google Drive > GDrive, Metro Drive
Play Music > Player for Google Play Music
Google Maps > Maps (and it's countless clones, Maps+, GMaps+), gMaps, Maps+

Note that Maps does not support navigation, if you're trying to use voice navigation, the coordinates will be passed to navigation app, and that app will guide you instead. AFAIK there's no maps+navigation in one app, i.e. there's HERE Maps, HERE Drive, and HERE Transit as separate app.

Check YouTube for camera result for low light photography. I'm just average camera user, and I'd say the low light photo is good.

Nope, there's none. In fact, it's not possible for any app to change any settings directly, for example if an app tries to enable location service, it can't, and will call the Settings app page to toggle location service and user need to enable it by himself consciously. This sandboxing security measure is the biggest difference from Android, and makes Windows Phone a little bit like iOS.. but just a little.

Also I have to tell you that there are ringtone limitations. It can't be longer than certain length, location, etc, it's not really obvious, but fortunately there's an app from Microsoft called Ringtone Maker that easily do the hard work for setting up ring tone.

There are multiple offline medical dictionary and multiple BMI app, but I can't tell if there is any a single one that can do everything.

Another opinion, probably a good things though, creating app that has multiple features tucked into one app will make it bloated and slow, and user also have to open the app, open feature A, or open feature B. Having separate app is better if they don't directly share similar data, the apps gonna be lighter and easier to access. But having an ultimate app is a good things too.

Last edited:

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it really true that (based on rumours/facts we know so far) that Android apps will run natively on WP10? I thought MS is just giving the tools to devs to enable easy conversion & porting of Android & iOS apps onto Windows Phone?

I'm now choosing between the 830 and the 930 as my first Windows Phone. But both phone seems to have poor front-facing cams for selfies:(

Without the voice navigation which Maps app is good in giving directions, search for nearby places (cafe, restaurant, cinema, petrol station, etc.)? And would you say these 3rd-party apps have a quick GPS lock to enable me to go somewhere that quick?

Why is there such a limit on ringtones? With Android i can set an entire mp3 song as a ringtone. Is there another good music player that allows the user to set an mp3 song as a ringtone?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Is it really true that (based on rumours/facts we know so far) that Android apps will run natively on WP10? I thought MS is just giving the tools to devs to enable easy conversion & porting of Android & iOS apps onto Windows Phone?

I'm now choosing between the 830 and the 930 as my first Windows Phone. But both phone seems to have poor front-facing cams for selfies:(

Without the voice navigation which Maps app is good in giving directions, search for nearby places (cafe, restaurant, cinema, petrol station, etc.)? And would you say these 3rd-party apps have a quick GPS lock to enable me to go somewhere that quick?

Why is there such a limit on ringtones? With Android i can set an entire mp3 song as a ringtone. Is there another good music player that allows the user to set an mp3 song as a ringtone?

What you're talking about is called Project Astoria which isn't finished yet. Theoretically it will allow native Android applications to run on Windows 10 Mobile but what Microsoft really wants is to lure developers to Windows 10 by making it extremely easy to port their applications over. It's the same with iOS, Win-32, and web applications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers