Impressions/Reviews

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Pre-ordered one and I was having second thoughts, so I went to an AT&T store to see if anyone had one, and there was one there. Great build, fluid performance, amazing looks. Glad I pre-ordered it.

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think her review was fair. You can't get around not having apps like Pandora and words with friends. I personally don't care about those apps, but the people watching ABC do. As far as button placement goes, I think it was wise for Nokia to do what they did. At 4.3" reaching for the side to turn on a phone is going to be easier than the top. The compliant amounts to a preference of established phones. It's almost like when reviewers complained the original iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard because that's what they were used to.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I think her review was fair. You can't get around not having apps like Pandora and words with friends. I personally don't care about those apps, but the people watching ABC do. As far as button placement goes, I think it was wise for Nokia to do what they did. At 4.3" reaching for the side to turn on a phone is going to be easier than the top. The compliant amounts to a preference of established phones. It's almost like when reviewers complained the original iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard because that's what they were used to.
Yeah I agree completely. I like that the on/off switch is on the side, the device is rather large and the placement of the button is much more manageable. Nokia knew what they were doing when it comes to design.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think they did do a pretty good job with the design, but I do wish the charging and headphone port were on the bottom. This is something I really really loved about the Zune HD. Also the position of the charge port is going to make docks pretty much impossible since the UI on Windows Phone doesn't work upside down in portrait mode. I guess they can have a cable on a dock?

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Day one of my first heavy use day. It lasted from about 11:00 AM until 10:00 PM with heavy use most of the day, and I could have lasted a bit longer, since it just went into battery save mode. I am real impressed with the display, I took it out to direct sunlight and it didn't looked washed out and dim. It feels really nice in my hand, and it is not a big burden when in pocket. The vibrate works better than any other phone I've had, I noticed immediately in the movie theater I got new email/messages. Zero complaints through the first 36 hours of usage. I did have an issue with AT&T network, my data quit working after about 30 minutes of usage. Other than that, no problems.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
First impressions.. I still have my Titan but tested out my best friends....WOW! I thought my screen was good compared to my Arrive. Now I understand this clear black thing. The display is simply awesome! Most negative things I read I actually liked. I prefer the soft key lights turning off (I was using at night) The power button seemed instantly natural right where it is. Felt right at home in my front pocket as my Titan does (note..not wearing skinny jeans lol) Even though the size is similar to my Titan, this phone is very comfortable and the soft keys just slightly closer made one hand operation even easier. Dealing with sheet polycarbonate every day at work I applaud the use of this nearly indestructible product that feels good in hand yet this phone still has a quality heft to it. Lastly, we did laugh a little trying out the clunky vibrate complaint. Does sound a little bit like it's on it's last leg. Didn't even mention the Cyan color! If I didn't have my Titan unlocked it would be sitting in my smartphone museum "junk drawer" alongside my Mogul,TP,TP2,EVO, and Arrive and it still just might.

diegosalinas

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. I apologize for the long post. :)

I live in a LTE city and unplugged my phone at 7am yesterday. All day out and about, I had 2 email accts set to push, frequent People Hub peeks/refreshes, all afternoon I constantly was using the camera which was set to auto upload to Skydrive, I uploaded a few pics to Facebook, 20m phone call, frequent texts and sporadic email, used the browser just twice for a few mins (not a big web browser user), used Nokia Drive for a 15m journey with screen on the whole time, and finally almost an hour at the end of my day lost that hour of my life playing Wordament (addictive!).

I still had 36% battery left when I plugged back in at 1130pm.

A similar day using my Skyrocket I had to switch out the battery by 2pm.

I was very surprised that I still had juice so late in the day. Considering my typical day is only frequent Facebook/Twitter viewing, texts, and light web browsing, I believe the Lumia will continue to keep up with my usage.

I am slowly getting used to not pulling up Facebook/Twitter as an app. People Hub gives me the same info in an easier to read format. I like the quick hit aspect of it. I love Groups in the People Hub. I know Android 4.0 has something very similar but never seen it in use by friends who have the Galaxy Nexus. Groups allows me to fulfill that filter urge when it arises.

Hardware, I'm still getting used to the weight. I still fear dropping it. The Skyrocket is a feather compared to the Lumia. I thought the power button being on the side was stupid. But, now that I have the phone, it makes sense. My thumb (i'm right handed) naturally goes to the middle of the phone.

As soon it came out of the box, I cut a piece of transparent tape and placed over the long chrome strip section. A bit ghetto but unless you view at certain angle, you can't really tell tape is on there. The tiny circular area above the camera lens I can already see scratches. That I can live with because you have to cram your face up to that area to even see it.

I love that the speaker is on the bottom of phone. No muffling of sound when placed face up on surface. My Skyrocket speaker is on the back and always had to flip it when listening to music. Face up I can look at screen if need be. The speaker is loud. Indoors, I have it set to 10 (of 30) and I can hear it easily across my living room. Listening to music, if there was a lot of bass, above 15 sounded a bit distorted.

When I called someone, all was fine to me. They were loud and clear even when I moved from my apt to outside to my car. I had the earpiece set to 5 (of 10) and cranking up higher just hurt my ear as the person was talking. And, got a bit muffled.

Camera...I know it's been a polarizing topic. For my needs, it meets them. I normally mess with filters and overlays in my photos so I am going to change the look of it anyway in the end. The originals are more just a canvas for me. Yes, there are reasons why the camera should be better. But, it isn't so why waste time complaining? Get the iPhone 4s if the camera is the end all for you or wait for the next Windows Phone release and see what happens. I just didn't realize there were so many photographers with very particular demands out there :p

My gut feeling is this is not the flagship Windows Phone. This is the model to get the everyday folk to use Windows Phone. The true flagship phone aimed at high end i.e. picky*****es users is coming. But, they won't bother releasing it right now with the state of Windows Phone in the US. The name of the game at the moment is market share. iPhone can get away with high dollar price tags (even at subsidy). Windows Phone cannot. Hence, a "cheaper" phone that still carries bang for its buck.

For the everyday user, if they give the Lumia 900 (and Windows Phone) a chance, will like it. Especially for free (or $99).

cgo88

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have loved Windows Phone since I first got the Dell Venue Pro last year (I've owned Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Windows phones). Was prepared to order an unlocked Lumia 800 but once I heard about the Lumia 900 coming to the US on AT&T, I knew I'd be switching carriers.

I'm coming from a Dell Venue Pro (T-Mobile) which was a bit on the heavy side, so weight is definitely not an issue for me. I loved my DVP, but I can honestly say I'm glad that I have the Lumia 900 now. For whatever reason I never received the 8107 update (disappearing keyboard fix) and glad to be rid of that. At first I didn't notice, but in the last few weeks it's been getting worse.

Love:
-Color options: I wanted the white one, but honestly I was too impatient to wait..so I went with black (boring, I know). Also, love the matte texture.
-Screen is VIBRANT
-Pretty fluid for me, my DVP was getting choppy during scrolling
-Battery life rocks! Not in an LTE area so I can't test it on that, but use on 4G and wifi has been great
-Call/speaker quality = amazing, not a single drop yet. Playing music thru the speaker has been a joy.
-Camera quality: I know there's been complaints of that but I've taken a few shots and I'm happy with the results. Not a big camera user, so this is a non-issue for me.
-Front facing camera is great! Was on Skype with my mom who is teaching overseas, she said my video was really clear.

Of course there are some [minor] gripes (most of which have been mentioned already):
-Charging port location: slowly getting used to this
-Yes, the camera portion will scratch. Ordered a case, and can't wait til that comes in
-Haptic feedback on capacitive buttons: a little annoying, but I've gotten used to it. Though I wouldn't be adverse to an update that allowed me to disable it...
-I JUST got an iOttie car mount last weekend, which worked perfect with my DVP since the only buttons on the side were the volume rockers and camera. Now that the lock screen button is on the side as well it's pretty difficult to mount the phone without 1) turning off my phone, 2) activating the camera. Hopefully, the case I ordered will combat this (ordered the same case my AT&T sales rep had, and the buttons were a bit difficult to reach which should put them out of harms way)

Finally...
16 GB of internal memory has been my greatest gripe! I have a ton of music I've accumulated over the years. I was spoiled by my DVP which I expanded to 32 GB and had about 9GB left in memory. I've never used a Zune pass, so I've been using the trial which has helped me to cut down on the music. I've also downloaded Gooroovster (Google music app) and uploaded all my music. All-in-all the decrease in on board storage has taught me moderation.

Overall, I'm a very happy camper. The issues I have aren't major enough to warrant buyers remorse. I chalk most of it up to a change in form factor. Hopefully most will have as great an experience as I have.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes