Excellent comments at the Verge re: Josh's review

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The Verge lost points from me on this. I'm all for opinions and the like, but this review was all over te place. I think review sites need multiple reviews to give their input and not just one. We all have different expectations from our devices.

Sent from my AT&T Titan using Board Express

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The Verge lost points from me on this. I'm all for opinions and the like, but this review was all over te place. I think review sites need multiple reviews to give their input and not just one. We all have different expectations from our devices.

Sent from my AT&T Titan using Board Express

it seems most tech sites these days have either become iphone or android favored biased reporting and no one does objective reviews any more

thirteenyahs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I really want to like the verge but the way Josh has handled everything about his review on twitter has been pretty childish and unprofessional.

tbeagl

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It's sad I was reading theverge more and more than engadget and giz because they were seemingly less biased but the way they handled the smoking phone controversy and this review when even Giz and engadget gave it a good review is dissatisfying. I'll still read them but i'm putting them in the likes of others instead of above and ahead like I thought they were.

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think his review was fair considering his point of view. Josh will prioritize IRC connectivity over battery life. Google docs over office compatibility. He uses a browser that was released as beta just under a month ago and isn't available to the vast majority of Android users. Windows Phone just can't support those kinds of needs.

When you turn to apps, he makes solid arguments. I would never recommend a Windows Phone to 90% of my friends because of app omissions. Recommending a Windows Phone means asking my friends to go without Instagram, Pandora, Angry Birds Space, decent Skype support, and all the me-too social apps that are on other platforms. People want to do what their friends are doing, and when you tell them they can't, they feel let down.

All the above being said, I still use and love Windows Phone more than any other device. You know why? It fits my needs better than any other platform.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Listening now. I gotta say that it's really good to hear Dieter and Chris on a podcast. Such a refreshing contrast to hearing Josh constantly interrupt Nilay and insult Paul.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It's almost as if this phone needed 2 reviews. One for people considering a switch to WP7, and one for people who don't care about the shortfalls of WP7 but instead want the best phone that runs WP7. I don't need to hear about a lack of apps, I want to know if this phone is worth upgrading from another WP7 device.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Good read. But don't color me surprised that media, in all of its forms, is biased. You see this in news media, tech media, sports media, and auto media.

During the late 90s, my father said there was only five reasons Honda vans were rated the highest: H-O-N-D-A. In terms of design and construction they were actually inferior to American offerings. The auto media got around this idea that Asian cars were better, period.

Like the tech media, auto media will generally rate something poor because of expert-level information. Most consumers only want to know one thing: will it get me to and from work and last long enough to pay it off?

Likewise with tech devices. The tech writer will wax poetically about how much the device sucks due to a lack of remote desktop functionality. The average consumer just wants to know: does it make calls and handle email, access twitter and Facebook, have a camera, and will it play Angry Birds?

Last edited:

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Listening now. I gotta say that it's really good to hear Dieter and Chris on a podcast. Such a refreshing contrast to hearing Josh constantly interrupt Nilay and insult Paul.

Haha this is so true. It's frustrating when Nilay is on a roll, about to say something interesting, and gets interrupted by Josh. They had Chris on during MWC, and I think he got 2 words in, in the entire show.

I think a very good point is made in the podcast, that Windows Phone definitely takes about a week or two to fully adjust to the way you perform tasks on it, in comparison to iOS and Android, which are both very similar, and a sharp contrast from WP7.

Another issue with the review that was brought up in comments and on The Verge forums, is the distinct lack of any points about the positives of the platform. There's nothing about live tiles, pinning app functions, none of the platform features, or any of the exclusive nokia apps. Josh's tone alone during the video review is one of frustration and dis-interest in the platform, most of which is justified as there are flaws in Windows Phone that exist even to this day....

It drives me INSANE how apps always have to start "fresh" when you launch them, but resume just fine through the task switcher. If the App is still in the background and can be resumed instantly, WHY does it relaunch when I open it from the Start screen!!!!

...but aside from that I love the platform, and although my Lumia 800 has been smashed, I'll be picking up a 900 next week (Rogers Canada launch).

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
From the amount of comments they got on their site blasting Josh's review it looks like there is a heck of a lot of interest in this phone. Someone mentioned that it was one of their most commented on stories for that site.

I really want to like the verge but the way Josh has handled everything about his review on twitter has been pretty childish and unprofessional.

ha yeah he's acting like a baby because he's getting heat for his review. I have a feeling because of the negativity towards him he will trash WP7 at every opportunity in the future (he probably would have anyway but now more so).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon