How I can consistantly kill (and restore) my data connection

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
First before I get into this post 2 things. 1) Sorry for the length, but I want to be thorough. 2) I'd like to lay out a few definitions - there seems to not be a hard rule, so I'd like to clarify things at least with respect to my post (they may not be correct but it'll at least be consistant within this post).

Warm reboot - holding down the power button from an on state until the slide to power down screen comes on and then sliding your lock screen down. Note that from here, you'll have to hold down the power key again to turn the phone back on

Cold reboot - holding down the power button from an on state until the slide to power down screen comes on and then continuing to hold the power button down for another 10 seconds or so until the phone powers itself down. Note that the phone will automatically power back up

Hard reset - choosing to restore factory settings from the settings tile and wiping everything on your phone (note that I never had to do this)

Now on to my test:

Earlier today I saw a thread about people that haven't had problems with their data connections. I was about to post in that thread, but the flight attendants had closed the forward door and I had to turn off my electronic devices. I go into settings on my L900, turn on airplane mode and power down (hold the power button until the slide to power down screen comes on and I slide down).

Fast forward about 2.5 hours and 700 miles or so, we touch down in my destination city and like all other business travellers, the the first thing I reach for is my cell phone. Power it back up and in a few seconds my phone has all its bars except it now says 4G instead of LTE (that's expected though since my destination city is only covered by HSDPA+). Despite all the icons that would indicate otherwise, when I try to force Gmail to sync or pull up a web page in Internet Explorer, I keep getting messages about connectivity issues. Did several warm reboots and nothing mattered. Checked to make sure airplane wasn't still on and it wasn't.

Fortunately a COR AT&T store was on the way into the office so I stopped by to see if they could figure it out. The guy I spoke to happened to also be using a L900 and tried to do a cold reboot and lo and behold that fixed it! He said he had never had that issue so I figure it's a fluke.

Later on in the night I decided to do some troubleshooting to see if I could reliably repeat what had happened. After many tests I can find that this process will reliably kill the data connection and also fix it.

1) Turn on airplane mode and power down your phone via the warm reboot method
2) Turn the phone back on and turn airplane mode off
3) Power down the phone via the warm reboot method
4) Turn the phone back on
5) Reboot the phone via tha cold reboot method
6) Phone powers back on and data works again

Some observations that led me to this process
- After step 2 wehen I turn the phone on and airplane mode off, data will never work no matter how many times I toggle airplane mode or do a warm reboot
- Here's the killer thing that makes me think there's a firmware problem. After step 2, if I immediately do a cold reboot instead of a warm reboot as listed in step 3, when the phone powers back on airplane mode is still enabled!
- Steps 3/4 can be repeated as many times as you want, but until you do a warm reboot and disable airplane mode and follow it with a cold reboot, data never comes back

Sorry for this long winded post, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew all the steps I went through in this troubleshooting. Also, I want to make sure people know about the cold reboot option and they give that a shot before doing the hard reset option.

I love this phone but it really seems to me like there is a bug here (evidenced by the second observation I pointed out above) in the L900 firmware. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like an AT&T issue (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anybody else reliable repeat this like I have? I've confirmed this exact process at least half a dozen times now and it's is 100% repeatable for me.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I heard the cold reboot can fix it as well in the store today...However this did not fix my phone. They did something on the ATT end and got data back w/out rebooting at all. Then I soft rebooted the device and it was gone again. They replaced the phone at that point.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I heard the cold reboot can fix it as well in the store today...However this did not fix my phone. They did something on the ATT end and got data back w/out rebooting at all. Then I soft rebooted the device and it was gone again. They replaced the phone at that point.

Judging by the number of posts on this topic, I really worry that this isn't a bunch of isolated issues with this phone. No clue if this is an AT&T problem or a Nokia problem or even a Microsoft problem, but it really doesn't seem like the rollout anyone was hoping for. Really crossing my fingers and hoping that somehow it works out without me having to exchange my phone.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Judging by the number of posts on this topic, I really worry that this isn't a bunch of isolated issues with this phone. No clue if this is an AT&T problem or a Nokia problem or even a Microsoft problem, but it really doesn't seem like the rollout anyone was hoping for. Really crossing my fingers and hoping that somehow it works out without me having to exchange my phone.
If your phone is good in every other aspect then I would wait for an official response from Nokia or AT&T. This could be fixed through a simple update. My phone is great...no bleeding lights or tinny vibrate mode or stuck pixels ...I'm holding on to this one for as long as I can.

ganks

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had no data connection when I first fired up my L900 after installing the SIM card. The ATT rep told me to hold the volume down button and the power button until the phone did a full boot (not sure if this is a warm or cold reboot) but it fixed the problem and she said the Nokia rep was the one who showed her.

I'd be curious if you get a different result with using the volume down button.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I had no data connection when I first fired up my L900 after installing the SIM card. The ATT rep told me to hold the volume down button and the power button until the phone did a full boot (not sure if this is a warm or cold reboot) but it fixed the problem and she said the Nokia rep was the one who showed her.

I'd be curious if you get a different result with using the volume down button.

Hm. This seems to be yet another reboot option. In behavior, it's a mix of the warm reboot and cold reboot I described in that it will automatically power down the phone without having to slide down, but it doesn't automatically turn back on. In addition, when I power back on it behaves like the cold restart after step 2 in that it powers back on with airplane mode on. Something is definitely amiss!

commops7

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The SIM cards are 95% of the problems with these phones. You are dropping data signals because a lot of these shipped with iPhone specific SIMs. Whatever the **** the difference is, I think the shipping and packing facility in TX was where the issue started. I have a similar post w/ MMS not working, resolved by getting a correct SIM card.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The SIM cards are 95% of the problems with these phones. You are dropping data signals because a lot of these shipped with iPhone specific SIMs. Whatever the **** the difference is, I think the shipping and packing facility in TX was where the issue started. I have a similar post w/ MMS not working, resolved by getting a correct SIM card.
How did you know the sim was correct?..did it say LTE somewhere on the back?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For the OP. I understand your explanation, but one question. If you are powering your phone off on the plane, why are you also turning on Airplane Mode, prior to powering off. Shouldn't it be one or the other.

I am probably a bad boy, but I have always put my phones/PDAs in Airplane Mode, but continue to use the non-radio features during flight. Putting the phone/PDA to sleep was good enough for takeoff and landing.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Tried your procedure to get Data to stop working. Never happened, my phone has been happily chugging along with LTE and HSPA+.

I wonder if this made a difference but when I purchased this phone I asked the ATT rep to just use my iPhone 4 sim. He checked it and made sure it was a newer sim that could be provisioned for LTE and all he did was change my iPhone HSPA+ unlimited to LTE 4G unlimited with visual voicemail.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
For the OP. I understand your explanation, but one question. If you are powering your phone off on the plane, why are you also turning on Airplane Mode, prior to powering off. Shouldn't it be one or the other.

I am probably a bad boy, but I have always put my phones/PDAs in Airplane Mode, but continue to use the non-radio features during flight. Putting the phone/PDA to sleep was good enough for takeoff and landing.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Simply because that's what they ask us to do. I used to just turn it to airplane mode but for the past year or two Delta always asks that it's off and not in airplane mode. I just do both so when that I power back on, the radios are off. As a pilot and an engineer, I know full well that it's not gonna affect the navigation systems or anything if I leave it on, but that's really another issue...

It's interesting to see that not everyone can repeat this problem though. Assuming all things are equal with software/firmware/hardware versions, that kind of throws out my assumption that it's a hardware or firmware bug. Aside from thsi one issue It works fine (ou yeah, it's also got that annoying vibrate sound that i think is tied to a rattle from within the phone). I may just hold onto it for another week or two to see if the guys at the AT&T store know anything else about it. Really trying to avoid getting a new phone, but I don't want my return period to run out if it could possibly be a defective device.

FYI, here's the info on my particular phone:

OS version: 7.10.8112.7
Firmware rev: 2175.1000.8112.12082
Hardware rev: 112.1914.2.0
Radio software: 2.1.75.10
Radio hardware: 8055
Bootloader: 7.17.2.0
SOC ver: 0.85.2.1

Also, the phone was made in Korea and I've got abot 3gb free space (not that those last two should matter, but you never know...)

commops7

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
How did you know the sim was correct?..did it say LTE somewhere on the back?

When the SIM was replaced Saturday night, they looked at the number scheme and told me this at the retail store. Unfortunately, today, at another retail store, they said it was AT&T after all having issues. See my previous post "MMS Not working". The entire data, visual voice and MMS failing to work sporadically, had me even fooled - thinking it was the SIM. Which in my case, may very well have been, but after it went down today for a few hours and another store telling me they having issues w/ the data on this phone - I am convinced it isn't the phone, it's AT&T dropping the ball.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I tried the steps you listed but my data worked fine. Maybe there was a batch of phones with this problem. I bought my phone in Atlanta...if it makes any difference.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So things have gotten even worse for me. I have zero data suddenly and even worse voice doesn't evn work anymore! Doesn't matter how many "cold reboots" I do but nothing works. For both incoming and outgoing calls, people can hear me but I cant hear anythine else. Again, doesn't matter how many reboots I do. Thankfully I have my Blackberry on me since I'm travelling for work and ive at least got that. Gonna exchange the phone when I get home despite the new firmware coming out.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried the steps you listed but my data worked fine. Maybe there was a batch of phones with this problem. I bought my phone in Atlanta...if it makes any difference.

I'm also in Atlanta but I got my phone via preorder. It really sounds like this is a defective phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon