Camera button still not waking phone

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Also this is happening to me. This is my third windows phone now (My first is a Samsung focus, second is a Nokia 710), so I am sure I didn't press and hold the button wrong.

Edit: I will try to make a video later if I have time.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Lumia last night and the camera button didn't wake from sleep until I installed the update this morning. My unit's box does have the green sticker so I thought the phone's software was already updated?

-Rich

The update didn't do anything to make the camera's wake from sleep functionality any better. Mine was working before though unintuitively I had to have the prevent camera from accidentally waking phone option selected. Now no matter what option I have checked it won't wake the phone .

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

gmurray81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I think maybe that the accidental switch is really on even though it looks off. And this seems to have the effect of not turning on the phone if it isn't held in camera orientation while the button is being held.

Mine seems to reliably come on when I hold it like a camera and then hold down the button.

I'm guessing this is a bug where the "prevent Accidental" is activated, even though the setting is off.

Bgrubb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way I can get my camera to work is by pressing the power button to wake the phone then holding the camera button to launch the app. Otherwise the phone will not launch the app period.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I had Samsung focus before my lumia 900, and at first I thought the same thing that the camera button is not waking the phone up.

but the difference is that the lumia 900 need longer press of the camera button that the focus,

"YOU NEED TO KEEP IT PRESSED UNTILL IT VIBRATES" to let you know that it detected your button press, so basically upi need to keep the button pressed untill the camera activates.

if you have used another wp7 model, like me a focus, it does not work the same , on focus it would onlu need a FULL press , you do not need to keep it pressed for long. but on the umia 900 if you let the button go before it vibrates, then it's going to be hit or miss whether it works.

Last edited:

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
to add to my previous post, the settings does not matter.

prevent accidental button press setting is meant to prevent it from turning the camera on when it in your pocket or purse or up to your ear while on a call and uses the proximity sensor to work.

if you want to test it out, put the phone in your pocket or up to your ear, then press the camera button, it won't turn on, you can keep it pressed FOREVER and still it won't turn on.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
"YOU NEED TO KEEP IT PRESSED UNTILL IT VIBRATES" to let you know that it detected your button press, so basically upi need to keep the button pressed untill the camera activates.

Fully aware of that, but if it's not coming on after minutes, I don't think it's ever coming on. :p

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Fully aware of that, but if it's not coming on after minutes, I don't think it's ever coming on. :p
well, it was not working like how I was used to it with my focus, but keeping it pressed for longer untill it comes on, just 1-2 seconds is always working.

AllPhoneNews

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
On my previous Nokia it worked after the update...however I replaced the phone due to a crappy battery and now my battery is great but now I can't launch from wake on this one... :dry

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
No issues here. I know that the camera wakes up slower than it did on my focus S, but it comes up everytime..

I would suggest those that have this issue on a regular basis to exchange their phones. Why be stuck with an issue if you are still within warranty or 30 day to return or exchange?

I've have zero issues with my phone so far, hopefully it doesn't blow up a few months from now though...

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
This problem just appeared for me today. Settings are correct, as described earlier in this thread. I am not obsctructing the proximity sensor: I am holding the phone the same way I held my HTC Arrive (which worked 99% of the time) and the same way I had been successfully launching the camera on my 900 before today.

If I press the power button to wake the phone from sleep, I can press the camera button and it will unlock the device and open the camera. If the screen is off and the phone is asleep, the camera button will not do anything.

I've tried holding down the button for different intervals of time. I've tried pressing the camera button different ways, even straight down using my fingernail. The results are this: when the screen is off and the phone is asleep, the camera button will not wake/unlock the device. When the screen is on and the phone is awake but locked, the camera button WILL unlock the device and open the camera. Every technique that was not successful with the screen off IS successful with the screen on. So I'm not holding it wrong and I'm not pressing the button wrong. As of today, when the device is asleep, the camera button will not wake/unlock the device and launch the camera. It won't do anything.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
No issues here. I know that the camera wakes up slower than it did on my focus S, but it comes up everytime..

I would suggest those that have this issue on a regular basis to exchange their phones. Why be stuck with an issue if you are still within warranty or 30 day to return or exchange?

I've have zero issues with my phone so far, hopefully it doesn't blow up a few months from now though...

I really didn't want to have to do that, but I think I'm eventually going to have to exchange my unit. I pre-ordered my Cyan Made in Korea unit and received it April 6th, and so far these are the issues I've experienced:

1. Shutter button will not wake the device from sleep (the subject of this thread)
  2. 3G/4G data bug that was fixed with the update: I lost 3G/LTE data twice before the update was pushed and I had to come to these forums for a workaround. Thankfully, this is no longer an issue.
  3. WiFi is very flaky, although some days it is flakier than others. But the gist of this issue: when connected to WiFi, the data connection will mysteriously stop working even though the WiFi signal indicator icon shows full strength signal. Cycling the WiFi off/on always solves this problem, but it's still irritating to be surfing the web or doing other stuff and suddenly nothing will load.
  4. Camera has giant pink dot in the center of some pics.

If other folks are not experiencing any of these issues, then perhaps it is a hardware issue instead of a software issue. Maybe I'll exchange my unit tomorrow.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've found half pressing it down for a second, then full pressing afterward works. Takes a few times to get used to it, but smooth sailing since.

Now, if only the volume buttons worked when the screen's locked...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I really didn't want to have to do that, but I think I'm eventually going to have to exchange my unit. I pre-ordered my Cyan Made in Korea unit and received it April 6th, and so far these are the issues I've experienced:

1. Shutter button will not wake the device from sleep (the subject of this thread)
  2. 3G/4G data bug that was fixed with the update: I lost 3G/LTE data twice before the update was pushed and I had to come to these forums for a workaround. Thankfully, this is no longer an issue.
  3. WiFi is very flaky, although some days it is flakier than others. But the gist of this issue: when connected to WiFi, the data connection will mysteriously stop working even though the WiFi signal indicator icon shows full strength signal. Cycling the WiFi off/on always solves this problem, but it's still irritating to be surfing the web or doing other stuff and suddenly nothing will load.
  4. Camera has giant pink dot in the center of some pics.

If other folks are not experiencing any of these issues, then perhaps it is a hardware issue instead of a software issue. Maybe I'll exchange my unit tomorrow.

It is a hassle to exchange, but i rather have piece of mind...

I havent had those issues as of yet, but if i did, i would of gone for an exchange day one...

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are any of you guys pressing the button through a case? Can you try it and if it doesn't work reboot your phone and try it again right away to see if it still doesn't work? It just seems too random to simply be bad hardware/software. I think there's another variable involved.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Are any of you guys pressing the button through a case? Can you try it and if it doesn't work reboot your phone and try it again right away to see if it still doesn't work? It just seems too random to simply be bad hardware/software. I think there's another variable involved.

I don't own or use a case for my Lumia 900. There is no other variable involved.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
So an update:

Today, the camera shutter button is launching waking the phone from sleep and launching the camera. It works every time I've tried so far today. The screen doesn't have to be on: the screen can be off and the device can be asleep, and I hold down the camera shutter button and after one second, the phone vibrates, wakes, unlocks, and the camera app opens.

Hopefully this won't be a day-to-day on-again-off-again sort of thing.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Technology is all ones and zeros, do the same thing every time UNLESS a new variable is introduced. They aren't fickle like people (except maybe where power/heat is concerned). What you need to figure out now is what is different for today? Launch any apps in a certain combination where one of them lingers and causes an issue? (just an example)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon