3 2.63%
  • Ill wait until upgrade and purchase a WP8 device

31 27.19%
  • I don't care, I'm sticking with Windows Phone no matter what

55 48.25%
04-22-2012 07:38 PM
42 12
tools
    Give Windows Phone a Chance is all we ask...
    04-19-2012 09:04 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the word for the last year that Microsoft would bring tango to low end devices and we all expected it to run in parralel to mango. But.in reality, it is coming to all phones as a mango refresh. I imagine that the work to push the requirements down for emerging markets will not be left to die with one os update. I predict Apollo comes out and only works with new phones due to the new architecture and requirements. I also imagine we will see "tango" being updated concurrently with improved functionality for existing and emerging market handsets. Adding what they can and continuing to support at least some current hardware.

I honestly believe this more as a result of the 610 than the 900. Nokia is pushing hard to get low cost phones out and have made it clear that that is very important to them. I cannot imagine them not updating these phones. I do not expect full Apollo for current devices, but I do expect a subset of Apollo functionality.
    04-19-2012 11:12 PM
    Regardless of what happens, I'm at least using this 900 happily till the end of the year. I don't think Apollo is going to hit on dozens of devices and be fully rolled out till late late late or early next year anyway.
    04-19-2012 11:24 PM
    What are the other options? Android? iOS? Older WP7 devices? None of those are appealing to me, I'll thoroughly enjoy the 900 till end of year at least.
    04-21-2012 03:17 AM
    Very interesting response to the poll. Atlhough certainly not scientific, it's interesting to see that right now over 80% of respondents will stick with Windows Phone whether or not they have to cancel, upgrade or, no matter what. So, one would imagine that by not upgrading phones to WP8, Microsoft will upset some persons, but it won't entirely loose its base and stands to gain many. Maybe it's already considered that, or will consider that, when it decides on the upgrade path. As for me...I calmed down and now join the ranks that I'm sticking with the WP interface and if the HW is better (like more ppi), I'll sell my Lumia on Gazelle or Best Buy trade in and go with the newer HW and WP8. Is this a Burt Lancaster thing...you'll never pull my WP Phone from my stone cold hand!
    You're thinking of Charlton Heston and the NRA...
    04-21-2012 10:20 AM
    It's kind of amazing that close to 80% of respondents would allow Microsoft to go all Walter Sobchak on them on they'd just take it. At that point that's just rank fanboyism.

http://tiny.cc/4k00cw
    For me it's not fanboyism. I'll be disappointed if MS leaves the 900/Titan 2 buyers out in the cold, but honestly, how many sgs2 buyers would go buy an iPhone if it turned out they weren't getting ICS? (pretend the custom rom option doesn't exist hypothetically) They still love their phone, and so do I. Nice poster, though. :)
    04-21-2012 10:31 AM
    I bought my Lumia 900 2 days ago knowing that it most likely won't get Apollo, but I'm ok with that. As a former iPhone and Android user, I knew making this switch would be an easy one, even if Microsoft required completely new hardware to run Apollo. It's possible that Microsoft may push a pseudo-update to 1st and 2nd gen devices that would allow some of Apollo's features to be used, but if not, I'm not going to abandon Windows Phone. The UI is sleek, fast, fluid, and it just plain works the way I expect a smartphone to work. I don't regret making the jump at all. I've always been able to upgrade at my 12-month mark anyway, so as a worst-case scenario I'll just pick up an Apollo device next April. Until then, the Lumia 900 gets it done for me :-D
    oldpueblo likes this.
    04-22-2012 10:21 AM

I honestly believe this more as a result of the 610 than the 900. Nokia is pushing hard to get low cost phones out and have made it clear that that is very important to them. I cannot imagine them not updating these phones. I do not expect full Apollo for current devices, but I do expect a subset of Apollo functionality.
    I agree.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-22-2012 10:33 AM
    For me it's actually really easy.

Since Nokia didn't release the international version of the 900. I highly doubt they are going to release it since they haven't yet. Thus, I'm just going to wait for Apollo or by the time Nokia releases 900 international, Microsoft would let us know for sure if we can or not update to Apollo.

I'm still waiting for my first WP7 :blush:
    04-22-2012 12:29 PM
    Sanity folks. 7.x devices will continue to get updated for some time on that branch. It makes no sense to put Apollo on these devices as it requires UEFI, a new kernel, high-def display, multi-core and so on. Let your heart not be worried, we will get new software features on our Lumia 900s!
    04-22-2012 12:36 PM
    It's kind of amazing that close to 80% of respondents would allow Microsoft to go all Walter Sobchak on them on they'd just take it. At that point that's just rank fanboyism.

http://tiny.cc/4k00cw
    Maybe they just try to have realistic expectations and accept there are things they just have no way of knowing or influencing.

Android sucks for OS upgrades worse than WP7 ever could on it's worst day and even iOS, the upgrade champion of the universe has it's issues, iOS 5 runs like crap on older phones. And neither Android nor iOS ever made as big a leap as 7.5 to Apollo is likely to be (completely different kernel)

We'll just have to see what happens. Anyone who thinks they are hurting Microsoft or Nokia by being one person who switches to another OS because their feelings got hurt is just stupid. If you think Android or iOS won't let you down at some point too, you've got another thing coming.

Why don't we all just wait and see what happens instead of planning how mad we are going to be at Microsoft and how we're going to "show them" by trading our WP's in for Androids immediately if they can't be updated to Apollo.
    04-22-2012 01:25 PM
    Call it whatever you want, but I really love the Windows Phone platform and I'll keep buying into it as long as Microsoft keeps it going.
    04-22-2012 01:40 PM
    Maybe they just try to have realistic expectations and accept there are things they just have no way of knowing or influencing.

Android sucks for OS upgrades worse than WP7 ever could on it's worst day and even iOS, the upgrade champion of the universe has it's issues, iOS 5 runs like crap on older phones. And neither Android nor iOS ever made as big a leap as 7.5 to Apollo is likely to be (completely different kernel)

We'll just have to see what happens. Anyone who thinks they are hurting Microsoft or Nokia by being one person who switches to another OS because their feelings got hurt is just stupid. If you think Android or iOS won't let you down at some point too, you've got another thing coming.

Why don't we all just wait and see what happens instead of planning how mad we are going to be at Microsoft and how we're going to "show them" by trading our WP's in for Androids immediately if they can't be updated to Apollo.
    Well said, I think many people are here because Android/iOS have ALREADY let them down. I have an android tablet that could easily run ICS and it was released the same year ICS came out. But I know I'm not getting it, that's Android. WP7, we'll see.
    04-22-2012 03:45 PM
    No big deal. By the time windows phone 8 comes out I will probably have changed phones at least once, if not twice. Can't help myself...
    04-22-2012 03:54 PM
    Sanity folks. 7.x devices will continue to get updated for some time on that branch. It makes no sense to put Apollo on these devices as it requires UEFI, a new kernel, high-def display, multi-core and so on. Let your heart not be worried, we will get new software features on our Lumia 900s!
    SUPPORTS different resolutions and multi-core, not requires. See how the words are different?
    04-22-2012 03:56 PM
    SUPPORTS different resolutions and multi-core, not requires. See how the words are different?
    Yeah, but I think trying to update Mango to Apollo is a "power user" type of thing that would require flashing the device to perform a complete reinstall due to the new NT kernel. Most people will not want to do that, so there will be no Mango to Apollo update path. What there will be is 7.5 to 7.6/7.7/7.8/7.9 over 12-18 months for those who want to keep their Mango phones.
    04-22-2012 04:19 PM
    Well said, I think many people are here because Android/iOS have ALREADY let them down. I have an android tablet that could easily run ICS and it was released the same year ICS came out. But I know I'm not getting it, that's Android. WP7, we'll see.
    Exactly.

I admired Windows Phone from afar for a while, but wound up going with an Android phone, which was disappointing at best. I stuck with the annoying, failing Android phone for months, because I did not want to double-down and buy another Android and I wasn't happy with the iPhone and it's tiny screen and some other issues with it. I tried out some WP7 phones, the Lumia 710 and the Focus Flash, but neither one really grabbed me enough to want to sign a contract to get one.

Then the Lumia 900 came out and that clinched it. I had the perfect storm of a horrible unreliable Android nightmare. No contract to get out of and a WP7 phone I REALLY liked with 4G LTE and everything I was looking for, so I pulled the trigger.

If I had a reliable phone already, I might have waited to see what the iPhone 5 was going to look like or for Apollo or whatever, but one more day with that damn Android and I would have flipped out. Worst phone EVER.
    04-22-2012 07:38 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD