06-07-2012 01:40 AM
35 12
tools
    It's been said in other threads but is worth saying again. The camera in the Lumia 900 is fantastic; if you take the time to learn how to use it. I think most people just want a point and shoot. If they don't get it, they complain. I'd gamble Nokia will release a software update to cater to the "Auto-Only" crowd.
    -joe-

I am here to testify that these instructions are what the doctor ordered.
    05-30-2012 09:53 AM
    Oh really?

Smartphones shipped in 2010:

Nokia 100.1 mil
    Samsung 23.9 mil
    Apple 47.5 mil

edit. Actually Nokia was selling still 12 million more smartphones per quarter than it's nearest competitor Apple when Elop announced the move to WP. That's when the market share started to dropping like a brick last year.
    Apple sold 37M iPhones in 1Q12. That's how useless your numbers are (and seriously data from 2010 wut???)... That's more iPhones in one month than Nokia has sold in Lumias (all models combined) all year at significantly higher profit margins.

P.S. I said "high-end, high-margin smartphone market." eSeries devices are not that, but they have their uses. RIM ships a ton of curves in emergent markets as well. But profitability is what drives R&D. Even with all those smartphones shipped - even back in 2010 - Nokia's profits were embarassing given that volume. Nokia's marketshare is dropping because smartphone adoption is rising and they are now facing stiff competition in the lower end, lower cost markets. Apple is keeping old models on the market longer, and Android is gaining a lot of headway in the Low end market with low priced handsets.

Basically the smartphone market is growing fast, and Symbian/WP7/BB adoption are all not keeping pave. More people are buying Androids devices and iPhones when they move from feature phones (where Nokia was infinitely strong) to smartphones. That also hurts RIM a lot since their Curves are (and were moreso back then) very popular in low cost emergent markets.
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    05-30-2012 02:39 PM
    the phone is 99 dollars folks, and i got mine for free, through amazon.

you guys think you can get a better phone for what I paid, let me know ok?
    05-30-2012 04:58 PM
    Have you tried instead of press the camera button, tap on the screen to take the photo? If you tap in certain areas of the screen to take the picture it helps control the lighting.
    05-30-2012 05:04 PM

So is the 900 a premium device or not?
    05-31-2012 02:02 PM
    you should have got a camera or sgs 3 for a wedding if you intended to take photos!
    06-01-2012 02:55 AM

Verizon Galaxy Nexus is $0.01 on Amazon Wireless, although the camera on that device is a stinker as well.
    06-06-2012 09:35 AM
    I can talk for hours about my frustrations. I'll be very brief, for the sake of sanity.

I also have a Samsung Focus and it takes great pictures. The Nokia Lumia 900 is another issue. Although I'm loving the phone, the camera is awful.

Was at a wedding yesterday. (during the day) Low light fotos are virtually useless.

Took some pictures inside of my house last night. (with lights on) The pictures were way below average. The colors were not true and the fotos blurry. When the TV screen (on) was part of the picture, it was usually just a big white square, and if anything, the images on the TV were undetectable and with terrible colors. (with the focus, I could take a picture of the TV screen even from a distance, and it was perfect)

This morning I took some more pictures from inside the house. (brightly lit by sunlight) A couple of them were ok. Most were unfocused, and if there was just a little too much light, most of the picture was just white areas.

I've gone as far as trying some suggestions found through this site for taking better pictures with the Lumia. Nothing works.

I know that phones are not made to substitute cameras, but the feature does have a purpose. I make short business trips, and would like the convenience of not carrying my digital cameras and being able to take quick snapshots during travel, at meetings, etc.

Please help. (had the Lumia 900 for 4 days)
    I just returned from Nashville last week. Was so frustrated with my camera that I began taking pictures with my IPad 3...they better do something with the camera.
    06-06-2012 02:04 PM
    The lumia's camera is subpar-- the sensor and the image recording algorithm. Its a waste of 8 mp as things stand. They should at least fix the software issues, if not it'd be equivalent to having no camera at all. Wtf Nokia?!!!
    06-06-2012 08:04 PM
    Check out the pics in the Nokia lumia 800 thread. The complaints were about the same but afte upgrade you can see the difference. Most of the pics are better than I've seen on the iPhone
    06-07-2012 01:40 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD