Lumia 900 battery and high amp chargers

FrozenClear

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

My first post so please take it easy :)

I am the proud owner of a cyan lumia 900 and I am planning on buying some accessories.

One is a car charger which outputs 2.0 amps (5.3 volts). The second is either a duracell portable battery or a morphie battery pack. The morphie battery pack outputs at 2.1 amps.

The stock (included) lumia 900 charger outputs at 1.0 amps and I was wondering will charging at a higher amperage damage the phone battery?

I've searched many places but does anyone here have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

milljw

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing myself, so I did some searching. It looks like this guy says it's OK:

There is a huge variance, then, between normal USB 2.0 ports rated at 500mA and dedicated charging ports which range all the way up to 2100mA. This leads to a rather important question: If you take a smartphone which came with a 900mA wall charger, and plug it into a 2100mA iPad charger, will it blow up?

In short, no: You can plug any USB device into any USB cable and into any USB port, and nothing will blow up ? and in fact, using a more powerful charger should speed up battery charging.

How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

For way too much information about charging lithium ion batteries, check this out:
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

After digesting all this, I think you'll be OK with generic chargers as long as they're not cheap ones.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the HP Touchpad charger (5.3V 2A) for $5 on sale since I have a Touchpad too.

While the original Lumia charger maxes at 650ma while charging and only sometimes reached 850ma, the Touchpad charger from HP pumps 850 ma steadily until the battery reaches the 90's mark where the charger slows the charging rate down to "trickle" charge to 100%

I do not think this will damage the phone/battery at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism