International help~!

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a US L900 user currently vacationing in Italy (whoo!) and had some questions regarding international cellular networks.

I was on airplane mode while flying. When I landed, I turned airplane mode AND my data connection OFF, and kept my Wi-fi on. Strangely enough, I immediately received a text message that had been sent to me hours earlier while I was on airplane mode, through Italy's WIND cellular network.

So my first question is, how am I connecting to WIND when my data connection is off? I was already informed by another ATT SMS that I would have to pay for my friend's text at a rate of $19.95/MB. Right now I have decided to keep airplane mode ON with my Wi-fi ON, which is essentially the same thing, anyway. Still, I feel like the data switch is not working as it should be.

Second, are there any legal ways to make our L900s usable overseas? Something about switching out SIM cards?

Thanks in advance!

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure

I am not quite sure about your report what happened, but I am pretty sure that SMS are not data, but something like a side-channel to GSM Voice. If I can call you, I can also SMS you.

I never heard that the WP7 data off switch has a problem: I think with that switch off you are safe from those outrageous international data roaming charges.

If your Lumia is SIM locked to your US carrier, any Italian SIM will not work. If it is unlocked, they will work.

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not quite sure about your report what happened, but I am pretty sure that SMS are not data, but something like a side-channel to GSM Voice. If I can call you, I can also SMS you.

I never heard that the WP7 data off switch has a problem: I think with that switch off you are safe from those outrageous international data roaming charges.

If your Lumia is SIM locked to your US carrier, any Italian SIM will not work. If it is unlocked, they will work.

Hmm...I just figured the text message I received as soon as I got off the flight triggered the warning text message from AT&T.

At any rate, the twitter account for Nokia Care USA couldn't offer any more suggestions yet beyond switching off both data and roaming, which I've already done.

I suppose it isn't a big issue that people face on a regular basis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon