09-03-2012 05:12 PM
46 12
tools
    I would've suggested to keep it if it could get WP8. But since we know it's not, you better return it. It's a shame. NL900 is a great phone.

Also, 3 years in an electronic years, especially for a smart phone is more than a lifetime, at least 3 generations. Almost every year there is a new version coming up.
    08-21-2012 01:15 PM
    How about asking her? Talk about how she will be using the phone, what apps, if any, she uses on a regular basis, and let her know the situation with WP8.
    I'll try that, chances are she'll stick with the 900 simply because she doesn't want to go without a phone for a few months, and she's pretty happy with 7.5. 8.0 wouldn't add any exceptional functionality for her to rant and rave about.

Also, 3 years in an electronic years, especially for a smart phone is more than a lifetime, at least 3 generations. Almost every year there is a new version coming up.
    Us Canadians don't have much of a choice; with Rogers the 900 is $30 on a 3 year, but to prevent people from signing shorter term contracts the price jumps to $425 on a 2 year, and $475 on a 1 year or outright. TELUS offers the 800 for free on a 3 year, but $430 on a 2 year or $530 outright. Fido offers some 2 year contracts, but the phones are crap as well as their plans. WIND mobile is a budget provider which has excellent rates and no term contracts, but they only offer AWS devices, and their network is slow in comparison and only covers urban areas. So essentially in a nutshell, you don't have much of a choice north of the 49th parallel.

Also, is your topic title an Arrested Development reference? If so, nice work! :)
    It is, I'm surprised only one person has noticed. Come on!
    TheJoester09 likes this.
    08-22-2012 01:44 AM
    ....Us Canadians don't have much of a choice; with Rogers the 900 is $30 on a 3 year, but to prevent people from signing shorter term contracts the price jumps to $425 on a 2 year, and $475 on a 1 year or outright. TELUS offers the 800 for free on a 3 year, but $430 on a 2 year or $530 outright. Fido offers some 2 year contracts, but the phones are crap as well as their plans. WIND mobile is a budget provider which has excellent rates and no term contracts, but they only offer AWS devices, and their network is slow in comparison and only covers urban areas. So essentially in a nutshell, you don't have much of a choice north of the 49th parallel....

Can't you find a better price through Amazon or eBay?
    08-22-2012 07:52 AM
    Its going to be an issue of apps more than features in 3 years WP7 will have been long abandoned. I say return it and get some cheap throw away phone

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-22-2012 08:11 AM
    I just got a used Lumia off eBay for 220, so I KNOW there are some on there around the 195 - 250 range.
    Can't you find a better price through Amazon or eBay?
    08-22-2012 08:22 AM
    3 years is really long for a mobile contract. Whatever is the latest and greatest in the mobile industry today, isn't the latest and greatest in 6 months. Mobile technology moves fast.
    08-22-2012 08:32 AM
    A Lumia 900 for your mother? There's nothing regrettable about that . :)

3 years tied into contract is quite a stretch though...
    08-22-2012 08:58 AM
    3 years with any smartphone is a bit much
    palandri likes this.
    08-22-2012 01:58 PM
    This is absolutely the correct answer here. Let her know what WP8 will be capable of, and let her decide if she needs those features. If not, you already know that she's happy with the 900 and WP7.

Also, is your topic title an Arrested Development reference? If so, nice work! :)
    I totally thought of Arrested Development... Wish I had a Gob Bluth GIF...
    08-22-2012 09:46 PM
    There's always money in the banana stand. ;)
    08-22-2012 09:48 PM
    I totally thought of Arrested Development... Wish I had a Gob Bluth GIF...
    08-23-2012 12:00 AM
    Back on topic, I'll talk to her tonight and post back with the verdict.
    08-24-2012 04:37 PM
    Yeah, the only mistake I see here is the 3 year contract. The 900 is the best WP on the market right now in my opinion and I'd still recommend it for people that need a phone now but if they can wait a couple more months I definitly tell them to do wait and look at the WP8 devices.

EDIT: The only reason I say 3 years is a mistake is because like the others said 3 years is a lifetime.
    Not sure if the Titan 2 is available but it is the best device on the market for windows phone.
    08-28-2012 12:49 PM
    Looks like we're keeping the 900, it's a great phone for her anyways. The only thing that she's a little disappointed to be left out on is the added Skype functionality of WP8, she's began to use Skype at work, but hopefully it will be updated soon or with WP7.8. Otherwise she's happy with it, so I'm happy.

Not sure if the Titan 2 is available but it is the best device on the market for windows phone.
    I could argue that ;)

But in terms of value, the original Titan is definitely the best 2nd gen WP device in terms of value, if you don't mind missing out on LTE (which just launched today in my region, but on another carrier). The 900, 800, 710, and 610 are currently the only "current" WP devices being sold up here in Canada.

Regarding 3 year contracts, if you want to get the phone in Canada for a reasonable price, it truly is the only option. It's not like a phone's free on a 3 year or $50 on a 2 year, it's free on a 3 year or $400 on a 2 year, so that they can force you into a longer contract. While buying outright can be worth it in the long run, she's made it clear that she wants a low up front cost.
    08-28-2012 06:28 PM
    Thanks! Now I'll never be without one when I need it again!
    08-28-2012 07:59 PM
    WP8 is so close, I promise you and your mom won't regret waiting these few months.

Skype won't get any updates on WP7. And some developers are already working on WP8-only apps.

If you buy a WP8 it will probably get updates and most important many new apps and features for a couple of years, while the Lumia 900 and WP7 will be more or less "dead" before you have passed even 18 of 36 months on the contract.

36 months ago there was not even a WP7 released, so yes, buying a WP7 device now and think it would last 36 months is a huge mistake. ;)
    08-28-2012 08:50 PM
    If you need something to hold you over until wp8 , buy a wp7 device used
    08-29-2012 01:50 AM
    Despite the words of caution, I think going with a Lumia 900 is not a bad option. The problem with smartphone ecosystems is that unless you have a one device, one OS system you are bound to get fragmentation.

Nokia puts out quality products. I'm impressed with what I have seen so far with the Lumia. You buy a phone for what it is now, not for what it will be. If you are buying a phone to have the potential to get all the bells and whistles added at a later date, you are going to have a bad time. When Verizon released the Eris and original Droid I went with the Eris since it was cheaper. Yeah, about that. I didn't buy it based on the fact it would get upgrades, but rather based on what it would do for me at the time. I got caught up in the update lags and rooted to get early access to Froyo and stable builds of Gingerbread.

As it is now, the Lumia does what I need it to do. I have bought maybe $30 worth of apps over the life of my Android phones, but I can still count on my hand the number of apps that cost me money. They are really the only apps I ever reinstall and use repeatedly. I looked for apps for the Lumia and found what I would need.

Look at the situation right now with Android phones - you have devices on 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 and 4.0. Now they have 4.1. The 2.2 devices work fine as do the 2.3 and 3.0 devices. Ice Cream Sandwich is nice, but it isn't a significant leap outside of visuals. Jellybean just adds a few touches here and there, while appreciated, only add more battery draining features.
    08-30-2012 10:49 AM

I could argue that ;)
    Faster processor and the best camera on any device (besides the pureview).

The build quality is also better! The camera itself makes it a better buy than a Lumia.
    09-01-2012 01:55 PM
    Faster processor and the best camera on any device (besides the pureview).

The build quality is also better! The camera itself makes it a better buy than a Lumia.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a noticeable difference between 1.4 and 1.5 GHz, even 1 GHz and under WPs seem just as zippy as their higher end counterparts. The cameras are pretty comparable IMO, more megapixels isn't necessarily better. In fact, the 900's dynamic range blows the Titan out of the water.

Build is a personal thing - I prefer the 900's unique polycarbonate as opposed to the Titan's standard slab look. The 900's also cheaper, has a more vibrant display, and offers a slew of great Nokia specific apps.
    09-02-2012 04:00 PM
    You'd be hard pressed to find a noticeable difference between 1.4 and 1.5 GHz, even 1 GHz and under WPs seem just as zippy as their higher end counterparts. The cameras are pretty comparable IMO, more megapixels isn't necessarily better. In fact, the 900's dynamic range blows the Titan out of the water.

Build is a personal thing - I prefer the 900's unique polycarbonate as opposed to the Titan's standard slab look. The 900's also cheaper, has a more vibrant display, and offers a slew of great Nokia specific apps.
    I agree that the Lumia 900 have many benefits over the Titan, but saying the cameras is comparable isnt really fair. The Titan I had a much better camera and the Titan II is even better.

But soon the Lumia 920 will set a new standard ;)
    09-03-2012 05:12 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD