I've Made A Huge Mistake

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
No it's not unless you reaaally stretch the meaning of "functional". The whole point of Skype is, you know, to make calls. And to receive them. And you can't do that on WP7, because well, I don't think you spend the whole day with your phone in your hand looking at the Skype application running.

Um lets keep the thread on topic shall we?

I'll vote to return it and get it off contract. Might also want to get some insurance for it so you don't have to sign another contract for another one also.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My vote is ask her. If she's like my parents she doesn't care what's coming, only whether the device works and meets their needs. Does it meet her needs? OK, problem solved.

First rule of gadgets for other people... don't overthink things. Just because you're a tech enthusiast doesn't mean everyone else is. Keep it simple... and solve a need in the simplest way possible.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Like I said somwhere else.

Return it.
Buy iPhone 4S.
Use it 3 months.
Sell iPhone 4S (excellent re-sale value!)
Buy WP8.
Happy days!

Last edited:

razorguy

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
My recommendation is hold out for WP8.

Given the apps are going to be different between 7 and 8, there seems to be a lot more interest in the release of WP8 so with that being said all the good apps that are currently missing from the WP marketplace will likely be developed for 8 (IF developed anyway) and forgotten about on 7. Since it is for your mother I don't figure she uses that many apps (if she's like my mom anyway) but it's still better to have the option of downloading them and using them rather than missing out.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
How about asking her? Talk about how she will be using the phone, what apps, if any, she uses on a regular basis, and let her know the situation with WP8.

This is absolutely the correct answer here. Let her know what WP8 will be capable of, and let her decide if she needs those features. If not, you already know that she's happy with the 900 and WP7.

Also, is your topic title an Arrested Development reference? If so, nice work! :)

Last edited:

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I would've suggested to keep it if it could get WP8. But since we know it's not, you better return it. It's a shame. NL900 is a great phone.

Also, 3 years in an electronic years, especially for a smart phone is more than a lifetime, at least 3 generations. Almost every year there is a new version coming up.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
How about asking her? Talk about how she will be using the phone, what apps, if any, she uses on a regular basis, and let her know the situation with WP8.

I'll try that, chances are she'll stick with the 900 simply because she doesn't want to go without a phone for a few months, and she's pretty happy with 7.5. 8.0 wouldn't add any exceptional functionality for her to rant and rave about.

Also, 3 years in an electronic years, especially for a smart phone is more than a lifetime, at least 3 generations. Almost every year there is a new version coming up.

Us Canadians don't have much of a choice; with Rogers the 900 is $30 on a 3 year, but to prevent people from signing shorter term contracts the price jumps to $425 on a 2 year, and $475 on a 1 year or outright. TELUS offers the 800 for free on a 3 year, but $430 on a 2 year or $530 outright. Fido offers some 2 year contracts, but the phones are crap as well as their plans. WIND mobile is a budget provider which has excellent rates and no term contracts, but they only offer AWS devices, and their network is slow in comparison and only covers urban areas. So essentially in a nutshell, you don't have much of a choice north of the 49th parallel.

Also, is your topic title an Arrested Development reference? If so, nice work! :)

It is, I'm surprised only one person has noticed. Come on!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....Us Canadians don't have much of a choice; with Rogers the 900 is $30 on a 3 year, but to prevent people from signing shorter term contracts the price jumps to $425 on a 2 year, and $475 on a 1 year or outright. TELUS offers the 800 for free on a 3 year, but $430 on a 2 year or $530 outright. Fido offers some 2 year contracts, but the phones are crap as well as their plans. WIND mobile is a budget provider which has excellent rates and no term contracts, but they only offer AWS devices, and their network is slow in comparison and only covers urban areas. So essentially in a nutshell, you don't have much of a choice north of the 49th parallel....

Can't you find a better price through Amazon or eBay?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Its going to be an issue of apps more than features in 3 years WP7 will have been long abandoned. I say return it and get some cheap throw away phone

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
3 years is really long for a mobile contract. Whatever is the latest and greatest in the mobile industry today, isn't the latest and greatest in 6 months. Mobile technology moves fast.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
A Lumia 900 for your mother? There's nothing regrettable about that . :)

3 years tied into contract is quite a stretch though...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely the correct answer here. Let her know what WP8 will be capable of, and let her decide if she needs those features. If not, you already know that she's happy with the 900 and WP7.

I totally thought of Arrested Development... Wish I had a Gob Bluth GIF...

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I totally thought of Arrested Development... Wish I had a Gob Bluth GIF...

GOB.gif

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the only mistake I see here is the 3 year contract. The 900 is the best WP on the market right now in my opinion and I'd still recommend it for people that need a phone now but if they can wait a couple more months I definitly tell them to do wait and look at the WP8 devices.

EDIT: The only reason I say 3 years is a mistake is because like the others said 3 years is a lifetime.

Not sure if the Titan 2 is available but it is the best device on the market for windows phone.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like we're keeping the 900, it's a great phone for her anyways. The only thing that she's a little disappointed to be left out on is the added Skype functionality of WP8, she's began to use Skype at work, but hopefully it will be updated soon or with WP7.8. Otherwise she's happy with it, so I'm happy.

Not sure if the Titan 2 is available but it is the best device on the market for windows phone.

I could argue that ;)

But in terms of value, the original Titan is definitely the best 2nd gen WP device in terms of value, if you don't mind missing out on LTE (which just launched today in my region, but on another carrier). The 900, 800, 710, and 610 are currently the only "current" WP devices being sold up here in Canada.

Regarding 3 year contracts, if you want to get the phone in Canada for a reasonable price, it truly is the only option. It's not like a phone's free on a 3 year or $50 on a 2 year, it's free on a 3 year or $400 on a 2 year, so that they can force you into a longer contract. While buying outright can be worth it in the long run, she's made it clear that she wants a low up front cost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99