Trying Straight Talk w my 920

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Net10 settings that i have working on my lumia 920. Text messages work but i haven't been able to send pictures messages from the messaging app. I have tried all the possibles gateways and different APN but still can't send pictures. Text , data and call works with no issues.

Data Apn settings
Apn- wap.tracfone
username-Net10
password-leave blank
proxy server (url)-leave blank
proxy port-leave blank

MMS settings
Apn- wap.tracfone
username-Net10
password-leave blank
WAP gateway(url)- proxy.mvno.tracfone.com or 66.209.11.33 or 216.155.165.40
WAP gateway port-80
MMSC (url)http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC port-80
Maximum MMS size-leave blank

Update- 66.209.11.32 make the picture messages work

Last edited:

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You need the international version of the Lumia 920 and not an AT&T one to have tethering to work. Even if it is unlocked, the ROM is still from AT&T and it will still not work.

I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G".

I've never been throttled even after a couple hours of Pandora (radio controlled app)

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, more positive feedback from StraightTalk users would be helpful. I'm currently a T-Mobile customer, but have been eyeing the AT&T (USA) L920 for a few days now. I am going to try to somehow snag a red one from att.com for $450. Maybe if I talk to someone on Live Chat, they can tell me if I can cancel my plan right away before charging me an activation fee and the first month of a plan. I really dislike how the site forces you to choose a plan, even for an off-contract phone.

Anyway, in the event that I succeed in acquiring the phone I want, in the color (and price) that I want, I still need to switch to StraightTalk. I'm kind of nervous about network coverage compared to T-Mobile, and of course the data throttling. T-Mobile is extremely reliable for me- it's also cheaper. I'm only paying $30 monthly, but that's with 100 minutes voice (not unlimited). I don't talk that much, so that's perfect for me. Anyway, I'd be paying $15 more a month, just for this phone... but it might be worth it.

If anyone has any helpful advice, please do chime in. Thanks!

I think if you buy the phone from amazon, then you don't have to select a plan or pay an activation fee. So that would probably be better than buying from AT&T.

As for coverage, if Straight Talk uses AT&T's bands then you'll probably have better coverage than you do with T-Mobile, or at least the same amount of coverage.

kenstervf

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Straight Talk (T-mobile compatible SIM) on HTC Amaze 4G. Now, switched to Straight Talk (At&t compatible SIM) using my Lumia 920. I have noticed that T-mobile has better coverage than AT&T. I get more signal bars with T-mobile. I'm in Southern California.

phonegeeks

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk seems to be working just fine with my lumia 920. I got mine last week from gsm nation and I used their "APN finder" tool for my APN settings.

km99

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Move from ATT to StraightTalk and is working really well. Just remember to delete the existing MMS settings for it to work correctly. I entered the settings without deleting first and it didn't work.
I have been with ATT forever now so I was a little nervous and I didn't want to port my number without some real life experience. Just popped in the sim and tried the service for a week to get a feel for it. Needless to say the service was exactly the same as ATT (except for the lack of LTE, but the price justifies that). The only missing feature was visual voice mail but I hear there are some alternatives to it.
Overall, I am very happy with ST and will be saving a lot of money for the same service/coverage. In fact, I ordered another sim for my wife as we both want to move away from burning our money with ATT. Now if I only can get my yellow 920 shipped!!!!

expanda

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Having trouble with my att branded 920 on straight talk getting mms to work. I've deleted the old one and tried every suggested way here. No go. Also how do you turn off 4g? Thought I might as well save any battery I can. Thank you

Edward Olszewski

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I also had problems configuring MMS. As it turned out my problem was with the internet settings which were causing MMS not work, not MMS settings. I have a locked Lumia 920 (yellow) purchased from att.com. Initially, I activated the phone with AT&T, then became aware of Straight Talk. Thanks to participants in the forum, I configured the phone with minimum hastle. My problem was peculiar in that when internet was configured, MMS would not work, but when internet was turned off, MMS worked. My problem resulted from incorrect settings for internet. To make everything work for me I did the following:
1. Settings > cellular > edit internet apn
First, delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
Enter the following:
APN = att.mvno
Leave all other settings blank.
Now, save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen
2. edit mms apn
Delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
Enter the following (per z06tim)
APN = att.mvno
User name = blank
Password = blank
WAP gateway (URL) = 66.209.11.33
WAP gateway port = 80
MMSC (URL) = http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMSC port = 80
Maximum MMS size = blank
Save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen.
Finally, reboot. I hope this helps.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am considering Straight Talk (will probably forego getting a 920 for the moment and use my Focus or buy a Focus 2 on eBay). Do they charge additional fees on top of the $45?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am considering Straight Talk (will probably forego getting a 920 for the moment and use my Focus or buy a Focus 2 on eBay). Do they charge additional fees on top of the $45?

Just local tax as far I know. I've never heard anyone mention additional fees.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is a fantastic thread and should probably be stickied. If anyone knows how to go about that, i'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

I have a question for Net10 users: on their site, they say they support GSM (AT&T, Tmo) and CDMA(Sprint) respectively. How does one bring their Sprint phone over? On site, they talk about getting a SIM card. My htc Arrive has no SIM. How does that work? Or is that particular handset just not supported. I was under the impression that most* CDMA phones don't use a SIM.

Any insight be great.

Thanks

-Doc

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I also had problems configuring MMS. As it turned out my problem was with the internet settings which were causing MMS not work, not MMS settings. I have a locked Lumia 920 (yellow) purchased from att.com. Initially, I activated the phone with AT&T, then became aware of Straight Talk. Thanks to participants in the forum, I configured the phone with minimum hastle. My problem was peculiar in that when internet was configured, MMS would not work, but when internet was turned off, MMS worked. My problem resulted from incorrect settings for internet. To make everything work for me I did the following:
1. Settings > cellular > edit internet apn
First, delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
Enter the following:
APN = att.mvno
Leave all other settings blank.
Now, save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen
2. edit mms apn
Delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
Enter the following (per z06tim)
APN = att.mvno
User name = blank
Password = blank
WAP gateway (URL) = 66.209.11.33
WAP gateway port = 80
MMSC (URL) = http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMSC port = 80
Maximum MMS size = blank
Save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen.
Finally, reboot. I hope this helps.
seamless port from att to ST thanks to this thread and post like this. oh, BTW, i heard t-mobile refarmed my area so i called att and asked for an unlock code. the rep took my imei and told me that this phone was unlock-able and they don't have an ETA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs