what happened to 6 months free Xbox Music??

irspecere

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
When they announced the Windows Phone 8, didn't MS say we get XBox Music free for 6 months? I went to their site and is says we only get 30 days free. What did I miss?? I have the Lumia 920 and want to try XBox music (free for 6 months :)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There are some articles that talk about it being six months dated at LEAST 30 days ago. Microsoft must have changed their minds I guess. The way I figure it, 30 days is enough for people to figure out if they want it. Six months is kind of a money sink. After a month, I would say that the majority that like it will pay. Those that wouldn't, probably won't be paying after six months either, yet MS invested all of that money into an extra five months of their using the service.

I personally wish the service was cheaper. I mean Hulu, and most importantly (because it's ad free) Netflix are about $8 a month and they have a lot more bandwidth to dish out to consumers.

irspecere

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a logical assumption. But it's also a bait and switch tactic. Either way, I guess I'll try it. However, with so many bad reviews on the forums, my guess is that I won't be keeping it after the trial. Thanks for your input.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
But it's also a bait and switch tactic.

To a degree, I agree. This was also a pre-launch statement. Things can and do often change. This is tech, after all! ut I agree that it looks bad.

I am personally going to wait to try it until they add the "iTunes Match" type of support. I know a couple guys that love the service. Most of the forum chatter has to do with playlists. It makes sense. I generally prefer building a playlist on the fly, and from what I hear, that can't really be done with XB music.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it is in their press event when they first talked about Windows 8. I Googled it and various sites mention it (briefly). There isn't a whole lot of information. I didn't watch the event fully, but I am guessing it was a single sentence that was said once, and not something they kept harping on, or else we would be hearing a lot more about it right now!

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is XBox Music any different/better than Nokia Music? Is there any reason to pay for it if you have Nokia Music? I haven't really looked into it much.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The free XBox Music is only on Windows 8 and Windows RT. I get it on all of my Win8 machines and my Surface RT machine. Check this page:
Introducing Xbox Music: The Ultimate All-in-One Music Service Featuring Free Streaming on Windows 8 and Windows RT Tablets and PCs

-joe-

That is free with ads, and I think indefinitely. We are referring to the subscription based service being free for 6 months on WP8 devices.

It's a shame we can't use the service with ads on our phone though. Or at least I am not aware of a way to do it.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Is XBox Music any different/better than Nokia Music? Is there any reason to pay for it if you have Nokia Music? I haven't really looked into it much.

Well, Nokia Music is basically a bunch of random mixes. Xbox Music you can stream anything you want WHEN you want. Feel like listening to Adele - Skyfall NOW? You got it. How about Breaking Benjamin - You're So Cold? Not a problem. You can also make playlists. It's basically having all tracks available for purchase on the XBOX music store on demand. The catch is you don't keep the music. You are basically just renting it. When they first started Zune player they let you keep a couple of songs a month (I think 3-5). That was a good deal IMO.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, Nokia Music is basically a bunch of random mixes. Xbox Music you can stream anything you want WHEN you want. Feel like listening to Adele - Skyfall NOW? You got it. How about Breaking Benjamin - You're So Cold? Not a problem. You can also make playlists. It's basically having all tracks available for purchase on the XBOX music store on demand. The catch is you don't keep the music. You are basically just renting it. When they first started Zune player they let you keep a couple of songs a month (I think 3-5). That was a good deal IMO.

10 a month... I still have it and I've finally been taking advantage of the free songs.

WP8 has made it easier now as prior to WP8, I wasn't able to get my songs from my 900 to my PC. Now, they all started syncing in the cloud and downloaded to Zune and my 920!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
10 a month... I still have it and I've finally been taking advantage of the free songs.

WP8 has made it easier now as prior to WP8, I wasn't able to get my songs from my 900 to my PC. Now, they all started syncing in the cloud and downloaded to Zune and my 920!

So they are still letting you keep a few tracks (permanently) per month if you are "grandfathered" from Zune Music Pass?

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That is free with ads, and I think indefinitely. We are referring to the subscription based service being free for 6 months on WP8 devices.

It's a shame we can't use the service with ads on our phone though. Or at least I am not aware of a way to do it.

I don't recall ever seeing an add anywhere about that and I've been on WP since the early WP7 days. If you could provide a link I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks.
-joe-

Canbacon

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
edit....

I need sleep, already covered. I don't think there was a time they ever announced it for an AD supported version on WP8. However, they may have announced a version the XBOX console.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes