Lumia 920 frequent freeze

joepvanl

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have my lumia 920 now for about 3 weeks and iam expiriencing verry frequent freezes about twice a day, the phone just freezes on many different apps so its not a one app thing. Its verry annoying because i have to reset the phone all the time and the time and date gets reset also automaticly. I have deleted words with friends but this didnt help. Is this a hardware problem and should i bring it back to get a new one or is this a software problem?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings,

Joep

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
you may want to look in settings /applications/bakcground tasks and block background operation on apps that you really do not need to be running in the background. I think it may help battery life as well. At least if you do that, you can eliminate those apps as the issue.

dworden

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. The phone would freeze at random times no matter what I was doing.

I exchanged the phone for a new one today from the AT&T store here in town. Not one freeze.

Exchange it if you can. Nokia is aware of the issue, and I think it is hardware. It is like they got a bad batch of RAM at one of the manufacturing plants or something.

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
no exaggeration but my 920 freezes more than 5 times a day recently. I'm very annoyed. reminds me of my old blackberry only this takes a minute to restart while my BB took 5 minutes. Still frustrating nonetheless. is not everybody experiencing this? How would a patch from msft fix the issue if its related to bad hardware? I am past the 14 days and its getting progressively worse everyday. Just driving 45 mins to work it froze 4 times. had to soft reset each time. I was listening to Nokia Music over Bluetooth audio in my car at the time. But it happens just using the start screen sometimes.
I was told to replace the device, but I will only get one through warranty services, I'm nervous that I am going to get a used one that was sent back for having the same issues.

Mathew George

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine froze twice the 1st day. Once when I was setting the date and another time when I entered the wrong unlock code. Both times, I just left it for a while and it came back alright. Do you think I should wait for couple more days and see before taking it back for exchange?

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Try and limit your WP7 apps.

I only installed Nokia apps and Paypal (which just got updated for WP8), and I haven't had any reboots in 2 days.

dworden

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset and it froze up while setting the device up after the reset. It would lock up 4 times in about 10 minutes, but it might be alright for 8 hours.

I got it replaced at AT&T, and my new one hasn't rebooted since it was turned on in the store.

If your device is locking up, get it replaced asap. I don't know if the patch will work when they release it, but I wasn't going to take the chance. My phone acted like it had a hardware problem.

If your phone is freezing, get it replaced!

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've found if mine locks up, if I go back and see what the last few apps I installed were, and try deleting them, usually solves the problem. Usually WP7 apps/games seem to cause it. Words with friends is another notorious offender.

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine has frozen a few times and every time it happened bluetooth seemed to be the cause. Could be coincidence, but of the 6 or so times it has happened, I was messing with a connected bluetooth device.

I'll stick with it for another month or 2, but between the bluetooth problems and random battery drains, if MS and Nokia can't get a fix soon I'll be back going back to my OneX or try to find a good deal on a 900.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Had the 920 freeze up twice. Once while using the camera and another time while in the Marketplace. Soft reset did the trick (press volume down and power button for ten seconds).

There is some speculation that Nokia Drive+ Beta was causing problems. Check your applications running in the background and block all that you don't need. (Settings>Applications>Background Tasks). It may prevent the random freezes and helps with battery life.

Daveola1

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been working fine but my girlfriends was freezing up every so often like yours. I called ATT and they over-nighted a new one to her. The new one has had zero problems. Get a new one! When it starts up it will restore all your settings so it will look just like your old one.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine freezes sometimes while on the Start screen or while locking/unlocking the phone. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with WP7 apps. Given that the HTC 8X has a similar issue, it's likely an OS problem.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine freezes sometimes while on the Start screen or while locking/unlocking the phone. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with WP7 apps. Given that the HTC 8X has a similar issue, it's likely an OS problem.

This is why I mentioned the WP7 apps, it seems to be causing a conflict in the OS. Usually its a game that caused it for me.

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You should do a hard/factory reset (if you can) and install the minimum apps you need ie. mail sync etc. If it still freezes even just once, you need to return it or contact Nokia to get it exchanged. I had one (of four)) lumia920's that froze every 12-16hrs. Turned out to be a defective unit. There are definitely a batch of them out there so don't be afriad to seek a replacement!!

ZiCoN_dk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine froze randomly and bluetooth headset and handsfree kept losing sound. After I uninstalled Skype, I haven't had a single issue. Skype really is buggy somehow.

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got my second Lumia 920. They sent me the Yellow one I requested & it's replacing the Cyan I have been using since Thanksgiving. My Cyan did not freeze even once or reboot itself.
Buy the Yellow one is a whole different story. As it was setting up the phone from back up, I noticed it froze while downloading the apps. Had to soft reset. It froze once more randomly while I was just playing with it. In 24 hrs, it froze 4 times & rebooted itself once while I noticed it. Once it unfroze after 2minutes or so without me doing anything to it. The other times, I had to reset the phone. I don't have Skype installed yet. My first 920 has Skype on it & I had no freezing issues. Makes me wonder if it's the apps or the hardware itself is faulty. I am thinking of doing a hard reset & set it up as a new hone only & see if any of the apps I am using are causing it. Couple of times I noticed it froze when I hit the back button. Whatever this fix is...I hope it's sooner than later. I would like to exchange the phone, but the stores don't carry the yellow one. Maybe I should just stick to my Cyan one & send this back. Damn!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon