Switched from iPhone 3GS to 920 - 2 days later...

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! There are no WiFi-only apps (that I know of), but there are WiFi-only services. I've listed the examples: upload original quality photos (and any videos) to SkyDrive, downloading large apps, downloading maps for offline use. With iOS, jailbreaking gets around the restriction; I was hoping for a way to get around WP8's restrictions.

Understood! :)
I thought you maybe were thinking of a question and forgot to ask it! I do that sometimes, anyway.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if its just because this is my 3rd WP device, but the battery meter has never been an issue to me. Especially if you have battery saver turn on when low. I can tell about what I have at a glance even without that.

rcsund

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the iphone 3g to the Moto Atrix. This weekend I got a 920 for me (50.00) and an 820 for my wife (free). I hate the fact on Android they never update their software. For 18 months Moto promised to upgrade my phone to ICS. One day they just said nope not going to do it. My phone was all kind of buggy for a year. I hated Itunes. I put a new hard drive on my laptop and itunes would not let me move my music over. It deleted everything off my phone. Really ticked me off.

So far I have enjoyed the tiles. I have a couple of complaints about wp. Hopefully they read these pages.

1. When you get a message be it a text or VM, there is no continuous notification until you recognize it. My Iphone would go off every couple of minutes to let me know I had a message. This should be an easy fix. My Atrix had a blinking light to let me know there was a message.
2. The calendar really sucks. The company that makes Office can't put a decent calendar on their phone. I used an app on my Atrix that was great. I sent them a message asking for them to make a wp8 app.
3. A simple music player would be nice. I found an app that seems to be a good start. Hopefully they will listen to suggestions and improve their player.

4. Just do not like IE. There is nothing about it I have found I like so far. Might just take some getting use to.

Hopefully they will address the first 2. Overall I am very pleased with my 920. The sound quality is great. The maps app is way better than google and I dig the tiles.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if its just because this is my 3rd WP device, but the battery meter has never been an issue to me. Especially if you have battery saver turn on when low. I can tell about what I have at a glance even without that.

I think it's just a matter of preference really. It's pretty easy to glance at the bar and see if you have over 75%, over 50%, only 25%, etc. left. Some people just like actual numbers. For those with battery issues, it can also be handy to see exactly how fast your battery level drops while in use. There isn't a visual distinction between say 95% and 80% currently, so that can be a big deal when trying to pinpoint a battery drain issue.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
^ Exactly.

Another question that I have. I have an Outlook e-mail account and 2 Gmail accounts linked. When doing a search, it only searches for whatever's synced and gives the option to search further into the Outlook server, but not for Gmail. On my iPhone (iOS 4.0.1) it's simple to search further into my Gmail. Is there any way to do this on the Lumia? I did set it up as an Exchange account on the iPhone though, if that matters.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it's just a matter of preference really. It's pretty easy to glance at the bar and see if you have over 75%, over 50%, only 25%, etc. left. Some people just like actual numbers. For those with battery issues, it can also be handy to see exactly how fast your battery level drops while in use. There isn't a visual distinction between say 95% and 80% currently, so that can be a big deal when trying to pinpoint a battery drain issue.

One thing I noticed is when I use the battery level app is that I tend to sit there an baby the phone, constantly checking it, and it goes down faster. If I'm not using it, I generally go about my day using my phone as text/emails/calls come, and the battery lasts much longer.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
^ Exactly.

Another question that I have. I have an Outlook e-mail account and 2 Gmail accounts linked. When doing a search, it only searches for whatever's synced and gives the option to search further into the Outlook server, but not for Gmail. On my iPhone (iOS 4.0.1) it's simple to search further into my Gmail. Is there any way to do this on the Lumia? I did set it up as an Exchange account on the iPhone though, if that matters.

It sounds like you basically want to search for mails that is not directly downloaded to your phone. I don't believe this can be done through the mail app. Bummer. That said, I never really had good luck using that in the mail app on iOS either. More often than not it would show up nothing even though I knew it was there. A quick load via browser solved the issue for me. It got to the point that I stopped even trying on iOS since it was so unreliable.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed is when I use the battery level app is that I tend to sit there an baby the phone, constantly checking it, and it goes down faster. If I'm not using it, I generally go about my day using my phone as text/emails/calls come, and the battery lasts much longer.

I hear you, loud and clear! :wink:

It all depends on user preference, really. For those that prefer a percentage, I feel they should have it. For those that don't, well, leave it off. I have always been all about options. Let me choose if I want a percentage, don't just tell me I don't need it MS! It sounds like you made a choice not to use the battery level app since it brings out your OCD. :sweaty: That's great. Now MS, please let ME decide this!

Thanks!

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you basically want to search for mails that is not directly downloaded to your phone. I don't believe this can be done through the mail app. Bummer. That said, I never really had good luck using that in the mail app on iOS either. More often than not it would show up nothing even though I knew it was there. A quick load via browser solved the issue for me. It got to the point that I stopped even trying on iOS since it was so unreliable.
Bummer indeed. I guess the browser way it has to be. I just set up the account as an Exchange account, and got a "Can't connect" error when doing the search :x

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
No surprise to me that Motorola didn't follow thru on their upgrade. They did the exact same thing to me way back when Android was first getting started. Always promising updates then not giving them. Either they actually plan to lie to everyone or someone at MOTO has NO clue about this stuff and they just announce plans for an upgrade before they even know if they can. Idiots.I agreen the calendar isn't the greatest but it'll do for now. I don't understand about the music as the L920 has 2 music players (XBox Music and Nokia Music) which is not to say you'll like them but they fit the bill for simple. Works for me. As for IE, I rarely go into the browser directly, usually only if some email has a link or something. I use apps for most of my stuff.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have moved from a iPhone (had a 3G, 4 and 4S) so this new territory for me but really digging it so far but there are few things that are driving me nuts I really hope they can give us some options for these:

1) The top status bar that shows time, signal level etc - I really don't like not being able to see this, I spent ages trying to get a web page to load only to realise when I quite the browser I had no signal. Also while watching a video it would be nice if you tap the screen and see the time.

2) The browser is superfast which is great but no back key? Seriously I launched the browser tried to click a link but hit a add by mistake, so before it could load I hit the back key and the app closed. No forward key is a bummer as well. Also seeing as Windows 8 does a good job of syncing data across devices I am really surprised there is no syncing of favorites and tabs.

3) The music player is beautiful to look at but is style over substance, there is so much scrolling involved and I can't believe there is no search (well not that i can find and I hope I am being a idiot). Also some of my playlists got messed up when syncing so are on the device but not in the playlist but i will be damned if I can figure out how to manually add them.

4) Wifi icon - Is it me or does the Wifi icon display full regardless of what the signal is like? I had a issue today with the Wifi at work the signal showed as full but when I went to turn Wifi of it showed on that page as only being two bars?

MooCoo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
^ Exactly.

Does this help?
Tip: Getting 'Search Server' to work with Gmail on Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

rcsund

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
No surprise to me that Motorola didn't follow thru on their upgrade. They did the exact same thing to me way back when Android was first getting started. Always promising updates then not giving them. Either they actually plan to lie to everyone or someone at MOTO has NO clue about this stuff and they just announce plans for an upgrade before they even know if they can. Idiots.I agreen the calendar isn't the greatest but it'll do for now. I don't understand about the music as the L920 has 2 music players (XBox Music and Nokia Music) which is not to say you'll like them but they fit the bill for simple. Works for me. As for IE, I rarely go into the browser directly, usually only if some email has a link or something. I use apps for most of my stuff.

So far the best calendar App I have found is VsysCalender WP8. It has a few issues but overall pretty good. If MS would just make it where I could actually read the calendar I would be happy. I have a gmail account, Hotmail and Outlook. Trying to get them all to sync on a calender has been the issue with other calenders. Week Cal looks great (MS should use their month view) but not matter what I try to go into to edit it says "not editable. No windows live appointment." When making an appointment it will not let me pick which calendar I want to add it to. Since Gmail is personal, Hotmail is work and Outlook is family, when I add an appointment they all go out into the world to different areas. As for the music player, I used Win Amp on my Atrix and it was easy to navigate in. If you go to artists in Nokia and want to pick a song it takes 3 steps that you must go through in reverse order to get back to the artist list. It would be nice to have a my music button always on top that you can hit that will take you straight there. Take a look at Audio Player. It is simple and works well although I have not figured out why they use a handicap symbol for artist. And finally I would still like a continuous notification for texts and voice mail until I acknowledge it.

GadgetObsessed

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I could retitle this "Coming over from the Galaxy S3 - 2 Days later. Yah, I'm not crazy about that whole status bar thing but I'm hoping they'll do something with that in the future (think they read these posts?). That said, I absolutely love this phone and WP8. There is almost nothing I don't like about it. The Galaxy S3 is a very nice phone but after having this one for 2 days, I can definitely say that this phone was made for me - no question. It works great and syncs beautifully with my Windows 8 desktop. As an extra bonus, I have discovered the beauty of using OneNote on a mobile device (it too syncs with my desktop). It's a beautiful thing.

I'm with you on OneNote . I use it on my desktop, MS Surface RT, my Windows WP7 and now my Lumia 920 WP8 phone Am really loving the integrated nature of Windows Phone.

GadgetObsessed

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So far the best calendar App I have found is VsysCalender WP8. It has a few issues but overall pretty good. If MS would just make it where I could actually read the calendar I would be happy. I have a gmail account, Hotmail and Outlook. Trying to get them all to sync on a calender has been the issue with other calenders. Week Cal looks great (MS should use their month view) but not matter what I try to go into to edit it says "not editable. No windows live appointment." When making an appointment it will not let me pick which calendar I want to add it to. Since Gmail is personal, Hotmail is work and Outlook is family, when I add an appointment they all go out into the world to different areas. As for the music player, I used Win Amp on my Atrix and it was easy to navigate in. If you go to artists in Nokia and want to pick a song it takes 3 steps that you must go through in reverse order to get back to the artist list. It would be nice to have a my music button always on top that you can hit that will take you straight there. Take a look at Audio Player. It is simple and works well although I have not figured out why they use a handicap symbol for artist. And finally I would still like a continuous notification for texts and voice mail until I acknowledge it.

Not sure if you aware that you can choose which calendar you save an appointment to. When adding the appointment hit the edit button and this will give you more options including which calendar you use if you have multiple calendars. You hit the edit button before saving the appointment otherwise it will save the appointment to first added account and you cant change the calendar. I would suggest this is to make it quick to add and if you want the more details option jut hit the edit button when adding the appointment. I really like the calendar app. Gives me options to snooze appointments when the notification pops up.

Ammar Alhebshi

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a 3gs too, and i'm really happy with my lumia. Before making the purchase decision you should keep in mind that you are being an early adopter for the device, which mean that you have to sacrifice some things. It is ok for software to lack things for now. The device is still new and i'm sure nokia and windows are considering lots of fixes and improvements in the next updates. Remember when apple's IOS lacked multitasking and how frustrating was that for a long time, they fixed after that and people were happy . I know that the lumia lacks most of the apps I need, but in the same time I can see how it will be a fantastic operating system after it gets updated with apps and improvements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon