Switched from iPhone 3GS to 920 - 2 days later...

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never understood why someone needs to see the status all the time. I would only ask MS to fix it to show if signal drops, but otherwise I don't care and have no reason to care. Same with battery, I don't need to know every second I'm using the phone, its wasted space.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never understood why someone needs to see the status all the time. I would only ask MS to fix it to show if signal drops, but otherwise I don't care and have no reason to care. Same with battery, I don't need to know every second I'm using the phone, its wasted space.

Why not give the people the option?

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Many options are needed throughout the OS. I personally want to see toasts for incoming email, many people don't, but I think it would be highly useful so I know if i want to leave what I'm doing to see what/who emailed me.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
In my view, iOS is completely compensated by how much, even superficially, there is under the surface. WP is still in major catchup mode. Easy case in point: clearly separate volume controls. It has been in IOS settings since at least IOS 3, and while I've only noticed it since ICS, I'm sure there was a similar function in the android settings app. Windows phone needs to be more than a pretty face. At this point, excepting an improved web browser, I'm failing to find any real reason why I would want this Lumia 920 over a wp7 device, much less any decent android or IOS phone.
Then again, I didn't buy into this platform early on for the heck of it. I liked my Zune HD enough to jump into wp7.

Sorry but as someone who has had MANY phones (Android, Blackberry, Windows, and iPhone), I TOTALLY prefer this Lumia with WP8 over ANY of them. That is not to say that these other ones are sub-par or that iPhone isn't "nice" under the hood. I am speaking strictly as a user of the device. The experience I have had so far with my Lumia 920 has been FAR more enjoyable and yes, even captivating, then any of the other hundreds (I wouldn't doubt this knowing how many I've had) of cell phones I've had over the years. so long as Windows Phones continue to improve and get better, I don't see me ever going back to anything else other than what they give me at work which by the way I see as nothing more than a tool of my job. I love this Lumia 920 and its sleek OS and i'm not afraid to state it to all who will listen :excited: :love:

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I moved from the Blackberry Torch 9800 to the Lumia 920.

1) I miss the real keyboard on the Blackberry. It is so much better for messaging and email. But I am getting used to the predictive text on WP, it is quite good and I can almost type entire sentences using the predicted text.

2) Blackberry email is better, but I am getting used to it on WP. Not so bad.

3) XBOX music pass or Zune pass, never know what to call it anymore. It is great and one of the main reasons that I switched. Love it. I do wonder why there is a lack of videos though.

4) I love the customizable tiles. Better than the generic icons on the older BB OS or my ipod.

5) Skydrive is great on WP8. BB really needed something like this. I don't know if they'll get it.

6) I had no problem with battery life on either phone, though the BB Torch would probably go longer. The Torch did have a removable battery and SD card as well, which I miss a bit.

7) Lumia 920 camera is leagues better than the BB Torch camera. Happy with it. It is good for indoor pics as well.

I don't use facebook and I don't want to. I wish the people hub wasn't so built around it. I want to actually have friends, not facebook friends.

Charles North

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The week view is not bad. There are many ways to adjust the view to your custom fit, but you would rather live in the past and ***** in the present. Grow up ******* and get used to it before judging. The week view is as easy to use as the daily view or the month view. I have used the Windows Phone Calendar for years and have had no problems plus it has helped my life immensely, try being patient and working with it rather than *****ing about how apple used to be great, apple sucks and they rip off you and their own people they employ in china to build the equipment. Then again, they all do that.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1) The top status bar that shows time, signal level etc - I really don't like not being able to see this, I spent ages trying to get a web page to load only to realise when I quite the browser I had no signal. Also while watching a video it would be nice if you tap the screen and see the time.

I discovered recently that if you tap the "..." at the bottom of IE it brings up the top status bar. You can tap and hold to see it, then release and the menu disappears too. I've found it quite useful.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

For me, I need to see because I can't always remember if I enabled/disabled things such as WiFi and Bluetooth. I turn them off at work because I don't have access to WiFi and don't use BT there so why have it on. I also like seeing what my signal strength is at times. as for the battery, I don't necessarily need to see it all the time but I do need to know if I'm going to need to throw it on the charger before I leave (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't). Like the other poster said, why not make it an option.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Close to 2 weeks later, I'm returning my 920 again. Dust is building up between the glass and the front-facing camera, and the proximity sensor is screwed up - it is now constantly activated, so my screen goes black right after I make a call.

I'm really liking the switch, so I'm going for another exchange, but if the 3rd unit is still defective, I really don't know.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For me, I need to see because I can't always remember if I enabled/disabled things such as WiFi and Bluetooth. I turn them off at work because I don't have access to WiFi and don't use BT there so why have it on. I also like seeing what my signal strength is at times. as for the battery, I don't necessarily need to see it all the time but I do need to know if I'm going to need to throw it on the charger before I leave (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't). Like the other poster said, why not make it an option.

dont know if you know this, but that notification area that goes away, if you swipe downward on your screen in the area of the notification, the notification drops down for you to see what you want to see and then some seconds later it goes back up. so to me there's no reason to have it there all the time because if i want to see it for whatever reason i just swipe down in that area. i agree it's just wasted space with it being there all the time.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Got the new unit. Back to having the gap on the top of the phone. Requested for a different one, same problem. And all they had were from weeks 46 and 47. I got mine from T-Booth, so I went to Rogers and tried asking them which ones they had, and they had the same batch. So... Going to try with Nokia now. If all fails, I might just quit :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon