Just about there

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Our contract is just about over. And we're moving on to new phones and provider. I've been lurking here for months reading about the 920. The Good and the Bad! There's far more Good than bad. Best I can figure is there's a 80+% satisfaction rate. Not Bad! My wife makes all the important deals in our marriage. I'm good with that. We missed the Black Friday penny sale because we weren't ready. Google pulled their stunt, and my wife got fired up. She started researching WP8, MS, and the 920. She started moving all her accounts to Outlook. I told her about Amazon having the Nokia for $39.99. We've been to the AT&T Store 2 times. The last visit was today. After discussion during dinner, we both agree buying the phones under contract would be the best way to go. The store is close and personal. If we get a bad phone, we can ***** in person, and not have to mess around with shipping phones back to Amazon. Also we can get our family share plan correct. Oh! And keep our phone numbers! That's important! Looking out the front door of the AT&T Store, we can see the C Spire store we are leaving since 1999. Also we get the wireless charger with AT&T. Now to my part in the marriage. When we sign the contract, AT&T grabs our current phone numbers, they will get our phones, and start setting them up. This is not a full service center. Nice people! They know a good deal about the phones and service. But they're not going to be in the higher know about inner workings of the Windows Phone 8 OS, or the Nokia 920. So I have to figure a best approach on the transition from our old phones to the new. Keeping contacts. Keeping text messages. Here are the big questions.

1. I'm sure the Nokia 920's will have the old firmware. When and how should I handle the flashing of the latest firmware?
2. Conditioning the new batteries?
3. Taking a picture with the FF camera?
4. Making sure everything is working?

I'm thinking rather than dealing with this outlet we should locate a full service center. If in fact there is such in our area?

I need a plan and list on what we should do from the very beginning. My wife and I love the colors! We're both getting Black!

Thank You in advance! :wink:

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you two are excited about it! A lot of stuff we from the beginning is based on the old firmware so I am unsure what will be necessary. I will just tell you what I remember though:

1) hard reset at the beginning. Even if this isn't necessary it seems to make a difference. Also, it is good to know that your phone is able to handle it without bricking.

2) The glass is hit or miss. Sometimes it scratches easily. Get screen protectors once you know your phone is fine.

3) disable NFC

4) (This will take a while) but make sure dust is not able to get into the FFC

5) Discharge fully the first charge to condition the battery. Do this a few times.

6) Battery should go down 1% every hour on idle normally. Check this before installing apps

7) Firmware takes anywhere from half an hour to 10 min to install fully

8) Make sure there is no rebooting after you install the latest firmware

9) Sometimes the top or bottom creak. Make sure this doesn't bother you.

10) Make sure the camera works properly without kicking you back to the start screen. This is my own personal experience. I was able to fix it at first with a soft reset but it later only a hard reset would work.

I am sure I will think of more later. I will edit this when I do. I'm glad you both like black...colors can sometimes be hard to find :)

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you two are excited about it! A lot of stuff we from the beginning is based on the old firmware so I am unsure what will be necessary. I will just tell you what I remember though:

1) hard reset at the beginning. Even if this isn't necessary it seems to make a difference. Also, it is good to know that your phone is able to handle it without bricking.

2) The glass is hit or miss. Sometimes it scratches easily. Get screen protectors once you know your phone is fine.

3) disable NFC

4) (This will take a while) but make sure dust is not able to get into the FFC

5) Discharge fully the first charge to condition the battery. Do this a few times.

6) Battery should go down 1% every hour on idle normally. Check this before installing apps

7) Firmware takes anywhere from half an hour to 10 min to install fully

8) Make sure there is no rebooting after you install the latest firmware

9) Sometimes the top or bottom creak. Make sure this doesn't bother you.

10) Make sure the camera works properly without kicking you back to the start screen. This is my own personal experience. I was able to fix it at first with a soft reset but it later only a hard reset would work.

I am sure I will think of more later. I will edit this when I do. I'm glad you both like black...colors can sometimes be hard to find :)

Thanks jdhooghe! That's a good start! I printed the list.

We should have a check list on what a new owner needs to do to a new phone, and test it before loading it up with apps and data.

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
We Made The Crossing

My wife and I got our 920's last night. She got a White, and I got a Black. We both got wireless chargers. Both phones look great! We ran the batteries down on the phones. I did a soft reset last night just as the battery was going to die. I left mine on all night. I charged mine in my truck during and after church. My wife charged her's last night. Batteries seemed to hold up very well all day with little use. WE both had NFC, and location off. We just did a hard reset and software update as I'm typing this. Getting ready to sync contacts after update. We're going to LOVE our Nokia 902's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas