Microsoft Copilot, which half of our polled readers never use, might start to relentlessly appear like an AI genie in Windows 11 if you so much as...

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Copilot in Windows might launch like an unwanted pop-up ad."

Copilot IS an unwanted pop-up ad. I have it all turned off. There is no icon on my task bar. There is no side bar on the right side of Edge.

Microsoft has been weirdly giddy about "assistants" since Clippy. I really wonder who at MS is pushing this junk. Again.

Reactions: Laura Knotek
Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
You immediately know there is something wrong when the Windows Shell needs to be adjusted because of a feature. Copilot should never become right-most instead of the Notification Center or any other OS function. I really don't know why Level 2 managers take design decisions at Microsoft. I can always picture myself the meeting on which this idea was brought up and immediately agreed on by 2 minutes of silence.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
From other comments here complaining, I can see people have not used it. I don't see any typical user finding it other than useful. I can understand users having no neeed for it, which is fine -- putting it into Start doesn't hurt them at all (just replaces the current dumb search). At its most basic, it's a hugely improved search method. If you're just searching for a single webpage, it doesn't add much value (but it's easier to use than Google or Bing because you can be more natural language with your search). But if you're asking a question that requires or benefits from information at more than one site, or you want to create something for work (images, text), then it's singularly fantastic.

Even before copilot, the fastest way to search for anything on the Internet has been to hit Start and just type the search term. Boom, results appear in Start, or select one to open in a browser. Replacing that with Co-pilot is the logical next step. I don't see that having ANY downside over how Windows currently works -- Start already does Internet search, but without the added intelligence of Co-Pilot. Swapping that to Co-Pilot is 100% pure improvement.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
You immediately know there is something wrong when the Windows Shell needs to be adjusted because of a feature. Copilot should never become right-most instead of the Notification Center or any other OS function. I really don't know why Level 2 managers take design decisions at Microsoft. I can always picture myself the meeting on which this idea was brought up and immediately agreed on by 2 minutes of silence.

Yeah, current location is weird. I don't really use it there, but I would if it were part of Start. Sounds like their plan to just embed it in Start is the right one. Just replace the current search box with the AI-boosted search of Co-Pilot.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft forces this AI stuff on us, then the first thing I'll look for is a registry hack to disable it.

Why? Start already includes Search as the default action when you click on it or hit the Start key and start typing. But that's a dumb search Co-Pilot is just an enhancement on that. I don't see any downside at all to upgrading current search to Co-Pilot. It's replacing a dumb search with a smart search with added capabilities. Why isn't that a pure win?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Why? Start already includes Search as the default action when you click on it or hit the Start key and start typing. But that's a dumb search Co-Pilot is just an enhancement on that. I don't see any downside at all to upgrading current search to Co-Pilot. It's replacing a dumb search with a smart search with added capabilities. Why isn't that a pure win?
I never use the search on start. My search is via Chrome browser.

For someone who doesn't use Edge, both start search and Copilot are useless annoyances.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Why? Start already includes Search as the default action when you click on it or hit the Start key and start typing."

I have not used the Start Menu in 20 years. To me it looks like a big, ugly mess and I don't have the time nor desire to wade through it every time I want to start some app. The search box in the taskbar is the first thing I remove. If I am doing an internet search I go to Yahoo or Wikipedia. I don't do local searches for apps or files.

Last edited:

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I never use the search on start. My search is via Chrome browser.

For someone who doesn't use Edge, both start search and Copilot are useless annoyances.

OK, and no debate that you should remain free to use the system how you want, but it seems only fair to acknowledge that you are choosing to go through extra steps (launching a browser just to perform search -- that like launching a launcher every time you want to start an app) and then blaming the OS for providing you with a simpler solution just because you don't use it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, and no debate that you should remain free to use the system how you want, but it seems only fair to acknowledge that you are choosing to go through extra steps (launching a browser just to perform search -- that like launching a launcher every time you want to start an app) and then blaming the OS for providing you with a simpler solution just because you don't use it.
What would I need the OS for internet search? That's what browsers are for? I always have Chrome open except when gaming, and the Chrome shortcut is in my taskbar. Clicking on Chrome is as easy as clicking on Start.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
What would I need the OS for internet search? That's what browsers are for? I always have Chrome open except when gaming, and the Chrome shortcut is in my taskbar. Clicking on Chrome is as easy as clicking on Start.

That's what browsers WERE for, back in the dark ages of Netscape Navigator and IE4. :) (partly kidding)

Now, in 2024, you can just type any word or search or even question for an AI answer at Start w/o even going through the hassle of opening a browser and get the answer in a disposable Start window. If you want to dig deeper, click on a link and THEN, sure, get a browser window. But for a quick 3-5 second lookup, why go through all the hassle of opening a window or tab in a dedicated app?

Clicking on Chrome in the Taskbar and entering text in the address bar (fastest way to search in Chrome) is always slower and more steps than entering a search from Start. Without taking your fingers off the keyboard, you can just hit the Start key and type your query, see the answer, then hit Escape and be back in the app you were using. Or, if you prefer to use the mouse, just click in the text field next to Start and do the same. Fewer keys and clicks either way. It's also faster, because Start always opens near-instantly (always well under 1 second), Chrome may take multiple seconds to open, a painful eternity in computer usage.

And the AI results have no parallel in Chrome. They are the only good way to get certain kinds of answers that could not be found on any one web page. I really think that people who criticize the Start-based search only do so because they are not familiar with how helpful and fast it is.

Again, I fully support that you should be able to do the search in Chrome if you prefer, but please don't criticize that MS has provided an objectively faster and easier method just because you don't use it. That's like complaining about cars and that highways exist to support them because you prefer to travel by bicycle.

Last edited:

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
This picture was brought to you by Copilot and a few seconds of manual Paint editing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital