Lumia 920 Digitizer Replacement

djburkes

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are replacing a digitizer on a Lumia 920, make sure you use black adhesive. I just replaced one and if you don't use black adhesive, light leaks from the Windows home button and from the side. I made the mistake of using clear. It really wasn't difficult at all. The digitizer came off fairly easily using a hair dryer, suction cup, and a guitar pick. The replacement digitizer seemed to be of good quality and seated into the frame really well. The hardest part was removing the old adhesive and cutting the new adhesive to fit. I've replaced digitizers on iPads and iPhone 3gs but this replacement was the easiest by far. If you have a cracked screen, don't be afraid to replace it yourself. Just follow the directions in these 2 videos and you shouldn't have a problem:

Nokia Lumia 920 Disassembly & Assembly - Screen & Case Replacement - YouTube
Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone replace the digitizer? When I did my screen now has a weird rainbow effect on it. As if there is some kind of a screen protector on it? I am just wondering if this is from the digitizer being cheap (the ebay place said it was OEM). Or did I mess up the LCD when taking it apart or is the digitizer not hooked up right?

DKD116

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ya what the hell is up with that. I ordered one from China with that problem, returned it, then a second from California, both said OEM. I'm now searching the web for an answer, did you ever find out? We'll probably have to purchase the more expensive At&t model....but still wtf.

Btw you can see the rainbow effect just holding the digitizer up in front of a tv screen, side by side with my cracked screen, the difference is obvious.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Ya what the hell is up with that. I ordered one from China with that problem, returned it, then a second from California, both said OEM. I'm now searching the web for an answer, did you ever find out? We'll probably have to purchase the more expensive At&t model....but still wtf.

Btw you can see the rainbow effect just holding the digitizer up in front of a tv screen, side by side with my cracked screen, the difference is obvious.
sounds like a coating problem to me. Maybe an actual OEM part, however unfinished or rejected.It seems a number of people who purchased the "OEM" shell for the 920 from ebay ended up with similar issues.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I found out the hard way that actually there was an inside protective piece of plastic on the digitizer that I did not notice. I took off the one on the outside, but the inner one went un noticed. It is so hard to even tell it is there or remove. I opened it back up and took the inner plastic sheet off and it was fine. Classic noob error on my part.

Ripper612

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone please post their successful/failed attempt stories?

I want to replace my cheap digitizer+screen with an OEM digitizer+screen myself but don't know what the odds are of me succeeding.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with the Volume Up button being stuck after replacing the digitizer? I could barely get my phone to boot past the flash programming mode, or whatever it was called. I even tried replacing the volume/power/camera flex cable and continued to have the same issue. I eventually sold that phone for parts because I couldn't figure out the issue with the volume button, though the digitizer replacement seemed to work fine the few times I did get the phone to boot.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I replaced my digitizer last year and it seemed to work fine the few times I could get the phone to boot.

My issue was that the phone would randomly treat the volume up button as if it were stuck. I could physically press the volume up and feel it click, but the phone still treated it as if I were holding the button. If I could get the phone to boot past the flash programming screen, the volume ribbon was always at the top of my screen showing level 30. I could not use the back button because all it was trying to do was exit the volume ribbon which would immediately reappear.

I even tried replacing the flex cable with the volume, power, and camera buttons, but it made no difference. I finally gave up and sold the phone for parts.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this or know what I did wrong?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I had a Lumia 920 that I tried to replace the digitizer. I have done so on many phones models, but this was my first attempt on the 920.

Afterwards, the digitizer seemed to work fine... when I could get the phone to boot. It was sensing that the volume button was constantly being held in, so I couldn't get past the flash update screen. When I did get to boot, the volume ribbon was always at the top of the screen showing the volume was set at level 30. The back button wouldn't work because the phone would try to exit the volume ribbon which would immediately reappear.

I attempted to replace the flex cable for volume/power/camera with a new one, but I continued to have the same exact problem. [It got to the point where I could only boot that phone with the housing of the phone removed and the flex cable disconnected after I pressed the power button.Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong? (I no longer have the phone in question)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon