Any fix on the crashing during charging (pad)?

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I was curious if anyone could confirm if there were any fixes to this issue. To recall, sometimes, on some nights, I'll put my 920 to charge on the table next to me in hopes the alarm will go off to wake me in the morn. It's been about 5 times now (recently today) since purchase back in Nov since I've woken up and the phone is un-responsive. I need to force a three button reboot.
Only 1 of the 5 incidents happened on a day where I really needed the alarm. Anyway, I'm used to using my phones alarm and am a bit afraid of this happening again, and would like to think my fix wouldn't be to buy a dedicated clock, lol. So I'm wondering if anyone's found any resolution to this issue.

I'm also afraid to send it in to Nokia and get a diff phone. I've heard of people on their 4th 920's (on this forum) for different things. But primarily battery life, and mines awesome. I don't wanna risk losing it, lol. Anyhoo, as said, any news to fix the charging pad crash? Many thanks in advance for any info.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
There's no "fix" - your phone is defective, exchange it. I also use charging pad, my Lumia never got "frozen" or anything like this when charging.

Last edited:

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I sent my Lumia 920 to Nokai Care to have this same issue fixed (and the rattling on vibration issue) fixed. I got the phone back a couple of days ago and I've had it on the charger overnight twice since without it locking up (i.e. it was fine in the morning). 2 nights isn't definitive proof that it's fixed but before I sent it away it locked up 4 out of 5 nights.

I can't say what they did exactly to fix the charging issue but on the invoice they list a factory reset, replacement of the vibration motor, cleaning some electrical contacts and running a full RF test.

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I sent my Lumia 920 to Nokai Care to have this same issue fixed (and the rattling on vibration issue) fixed. I got the phone back a couple of days ago and I've had it on the charger overnight twice since without it locking up (i.e. it was fine in the morning). 2 nights isn't definitive proof that it's fixed but before I sent it away it locked up 4 out of 5 nights.

I can't say what they did exactly to fix the charging issue but on the invoice they list a factory reset, replacement of the vibration motor, cleaning some electrical contacts and running a full RF test.
We all know that replace the phone may solve problem completely, but we just don't want it...

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
We all know that replace the phone may solve problem completely, but we just don't want it...

I didn't get the phone replaced, I got it repaired. I still have the same phone I had before I sent it away. I.e. I didn't have to gamble on getting a phone with battery issues or whatever.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
But you lost all your data?

I backed up all my data and restored it when I got the phone back. No data lost, worst thing I had to do was re-add my accounts and re-arrange my start screen. Granted I was lucky that none of the apps I used required any setup and that may not be the case for all apps.

Are you implying that you don't want to send it to Nokia Care and get it factory reset because you'll lose data? And that there's a software update coming that will resolve the issue? If that's the case then great. If mine is now actually fixed, which I'll need to verify after a few more nights on the charger, and the only changes Nokia made were a factory reset and some hardware fixes then I'm skeptical that a software update will be able to fix the issue and that I wouldn't have to perform a factory reset at some point in the future anyway.

elyod

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I had this issue for over two weeks. I was on vacation and using Skype to talk to my girlfriend each night before charging the phone wirelessly, each night it would freeze. I got portico, hard reset the phone, and it stopped freezing for a few days. I started using Skype again and the phone started freezing again. I deleted Skype two weeks ago, no hard reset and have not had a freeze. I always charge wirelessly. This has led me to believe that it isn't a hardware issue. I thought I was going to have to replace my phone, but it has been working flawlessly since deleting Skype and my battery meter app.

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue for over two weeks. I was on vacation and using Skype to talk to my girlfriend each night before charging the phone wirelessly, each night it would freeze. I got portico, hard reset the phone, and it stopped freezing for a few days. I started using Skype again and the phone started freezing again. I deleted Skype two weeks ago, no hard reset and have not had a freeze. I always charge wirelessly. This has led me to believe that it isn't a hardware issue. I thought I was going to have to replace my phone, but it has been working flawlessly since deleting Skype and my battery meter app.
Congrats!!
Then I wait for the software fix then...

I don't have this problem at the first 4 weeks, so I don't think it is hardware problem.

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i usually leave my screen on when i first initially put the phone on the charger pad, that seems to make it not "brick" in the middle of the night

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i usually leave my screen on when i first initially put the phone on the charger pad, that seems to make it not "brick" in the middle of the night

Well it's definitely frozen for me in either instance. But I do have skype installed. Will uninstall and give it a couple days more of a trial. If it happens again I'll definitely try the repair, since it's been confirmed they won't do a full replace (tho that wouldn't be too bad for some screen scratches and the fact that my accellerometor stopped working for 3-days). I've done a hard reset already and lost all my save game data, everything else like messages and app installs were backed up to the cloud.

If there is a fix on the way, hopefully it'll come before the next time it happens. Thanks a lot for the replies, well noted.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I put the phone in "flight mode" during charging. No freeze after I started doing that ...
Supposedly, the Portico update (I am still waiting, yes ...) would fix the random freeze- and reboot issues, but reading this forum - I am not very optimistic :cry:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I put the phone in "flight mode" during charging. No freeze after I started doing that ...
Supposedly, the Portico update (I am still waiting, yes ...) would fix the random freeze- and reboot issues, but reading this forum - I am not very optimistic :cry:

Just curious, did you ever try to use other SIM card ?

elyod

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Update: my phone froze on a wired charger last night for the first time ever, and it is the first freeze since uninstalling Skype. I thought the issue was solved for me, but I also told myself that if it froze once more on a charger I would replace it. So I am calling ATT warranty today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2