Battery life while wifi is on

pauleyKills

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I know its a fact that the 920 really has a weird battery drain but i wonder...Does keeping the wifi on while the screen times out drains the battery faster?
I left my 920 at 89% (wifi is on and full bar of signal) while i was watching tv and when i came back to use it my battery jumped from 89 to 78%! I have three apps running in the background if thats a point to consider. Is this normal battery behavior while on wifi even in standby mode?

EDIT: i think i left it for 3hours or 2 and a half hours

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that my phone uses slightly more battery with WIFI on compared to keeping 2G (as highest connection speed) on. My average battery time, with such settings, is 1 day and 15 hours. With mild usage; sms, phone calls, music and some surfing.

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I leave my WiFi on all the time because I've yet to receive the Portico update and WiFi switches off when the screen times out. So for me I don't experience any battery draining issues. That being said, I leave WiFi on all the time on other phones I've had including a Galaxy S 3 I've recently acquired and still don't experience excessive battery drain. What are those background apps you mentioned? They almost certainly could be the reason your battery seems to be draining quicker than expected.

pauleyKills

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I leave my WiFi on all the time because I've yet to receive the Portico update and WiFi switches off when the screen times out. So for me I don't experience any battery draining issues. That being said, I leave WiFi on all the time on other phones I've had including a Galaxy S 3 I've recently acquired and still don't experience excessive battery drain. What are those background apps you mentioned? They almost certainly could be the reason your battery seems to be draining quicker than expected.

the background apps were...Fuse,Battery+, and AccuWeather.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Accuweather but not the other two so we can at least eliminate AccuWeather from the equation. Some people have implicated some battery monitoring apps as a cause of excessive battery drain but I don't know which ones. I use the Battery level for WP8 one which doesn't cause any issues for me. You could try un-installing Fuse and Battery+ for a little while and see how you get on. If the problem still continues then you will know it's not those apps causing the problem.

When was the last time you re-booted your phone? Much like a computer, a re-boot is sometimes required to clear out system RAM of junk and clutter so I'd recommend doing the Volume down + Power key 12 press to reboot your phone. This won't delete any data but will reset the date and time to factory defaults (unless your network supports automatic date and time and you have that turned on).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes