03-08-2013 01:04 AM
47 12
tools
    Just as a side note, I think the reason for lack of availability of the "dry apply" or static cling screen protectors for the 920 is due to the beveled edge of the screen.

A static cling type protector would have to come up short of the screen edge to prevent the edge of the protector getting caught on things as it they are still somewhat rigid. It would be forever lifting up and you'd get annoyed with it pretty quick.

The wet apply ones have the advantage of being able to bend around corners.

I've used both Skinomi and Bodyguardz in the past with great results - it's all down to getting a good application. I personally rate Zagg as worst of the bunch because they always have a rubbery feel to them and also an orange peel effect when you look at them.

My pro tip? Bear with me as this will sound kinda gross - rub your finger on your forehead or side of your nose and get some skin oil on it. Then rub this in circular motions all over the screen protector. Let it sit for a bit before cleaning off with lint free cloth. Do this a few times and the protector will stop feeling rubbery and end up feeling like glass.

It would happen after a while of normal use anyway - I think the oils from your skin penetrate the membrane and help it to feel smoother. Works for me anyway!
    03-03-2013 04:04 PM
    Just as a side note, I think the reason for lack of availability of the "dry apply" or static cling screen protectors for the 920 is due to the beveled edge of the screen.

A static cling type protector would have to come up short of the screen edge to prevent the edge of the protector getting caught on things as it they are still somewhat rigid. It would be forever lifting up and you'd get annoyed with it pretty quick.

The wet apply ones have the advantage of being able to bend around corners.

I've used both Skinomi and Bodyguardz in the past with great results - it's all down to getting a good application. I personally rate Zagg as worst of the bunch because they always have a rubbery feel to them and also an orange peel effect when you look at them.

My pro tip? Bear with me as this will sound kinda gross - rub your finger on your forehead or side of your nose and get some skin oil on it. Then rub this in circular motions all over the screen protector. Let it sit for a bit before cleaning off with lint free cloth. Do this a few times and the protector will stop feeling rubbery and end up feeling like glass.

It would happen after a while of normal use anyway - I think the oils from your skin penetrate the membrane and help it to feel smoother. Works for me anyway!
    I actually wouldn't mind if the static cling protector didn't cover the entire glass, as long as it doesn't peel it's fine. But a wet apply protector might be a better option if I can find one that doesn't feel or look rubbery to me. What screen protectors have you used before, and do you think you could rank them?
    03-05-2013 11:09 AM
    martin fields is a great cut and comes with the camera protection too , its a bit exspensive but its a very nice screen protector and one of the only ''dry apply'' ones ive found to fit good , the cheap ebay ones are naff and peel at the edges etc because of the curved glass and them being to big martin fields have it bang on :-)
    03-05-2013 11:42 AM
    I am starting to feel now a bit more the rubbery thing. I also absolutely do not like that it is really easy to leave "tracks" on the skinomi protector and they don't go away. They stay there, like really small indentations.

For someone with no screen protector... Is it hard to unlock your phone with gloves on? I find that unlocking my phone with gloves is a bit difficult, once it is unlocked I can manipulate it OK but the unlocking proves somewhat difficult... I ask because I am wondering if it is the screen protector causing that or if it is normally that way.
    03-05-2013 12:04 PM
    I am not sure about the rubbery feel, I don't really experience that with my Ghost Armor. If it is there it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it.

I am not sure I understand the "tracks" you are talking about. I for sure don't have anything like that on my screen protector.
    03-05-2013 12:15 PM
    I actually wouldn't mind if the static cling protector didn't cover the entire glass, as long as it doesn't peel it's fine. But a wet apply protector might be a better option if I can find one that doesn't feel or look rubbery to me. What screen protectors have you used before, and do you think you could rank them?
    I've used the following and ranked them accordingly:

1. Skinomi - 1st equal
    2. Bodyguardz - 1st equal, really not much between these two.
    3. Phantomskinz
    4. Zagg

However, it's worth noting that some manufacturers give you 2 shields whereas others only give you one. To my knowledge the only one in my list that only gives you one shield for the money is Zagg.

Hope that helps.
    03-05-2013 12:24 PM
    I am not sure about the rubbery feel, I don't really experience that with my Ghost Armor. If it is there it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it.

I am not sure I understand the "tracks" you are talking about. I for sure don't have anything like that on my screen protector.
    The rubbery feeling is tiny, but I feel it. The indentations that I mention are very small scuffs that are left on the protector when the screen is pressed in certain ways. They are super small and I am sure most people would not notice... I am just anal, hehehe. :P I don't even know if I can get them on a picture to show here.

But to show you that I am not crazy... The person doing this review:

For the 1043 case mentions in the comments he has the skinomi case. If you look at the video around 2:32, 2:38, and 3:00 when he holds the phone at certain angles you can see some of the scuffs... Also in one of his video replies he mentions:

Thanks for watching! It's the Skinomi techskin. I actually preferred the old techskin because the one I got for my lumia 900 stayed as smooth as glass even after 6 month but this one already has many marks that won't fade away. I wrote on the screen protector with a digitizer pen 3 weeks ago and it's still there. :/
    03-05-2013 12:41 PM
    Check out "xtreme guard" on eBay. $1.99 for one wet application guard and I think they are solid. No gouges like skinomi and has a cutout for prox sensor. A little rubbery feeling but not bad.
    03-05-2013 12:53 PM
    Check out "xtreme guard" on eBay. $1.99 for one wet application guard and I think they are solid. No gouges like skinomi and has a cutout for prox sensor. A little rubbery feeling but not bad.
    I've used these as well and they're certainly not bad for the money. They are quite a bit thicker material than the others I mentioned though and do have a bit of a rubbery texture. Still - can't grumble about the price right?
    03-05-2013 01:11 PM
    I bought one for 920 and one for iPhone (screen protectors only) and they ended up sending back protector for the 920 and screen for iphone. Installed the iPhone and wasn't too happy with it. I have had fair amount of experience with both wet/dry installs and I don't like what i saw with the Xtremeguard. But that's my personal view.
    03-05-2013 01:51 PM
    The rubbery feeling is tiny, but I feel it. The indentations that I mention are very small scuffs that are left on the protector when the screen is pressed in certain ways. They are super small and I am sure most people would not notice... I am just anal, hehehe. :P I don't even know if I can get them on a picture to show here.

But to show you that I am not crazy... The person doing this review:

For the 1043 case mentions in the comments he has the skinomi case. If you look at the video around 2:32, 2:38, and 3:00 when he holds the phone at certain angles you can see some of the scuffs... Also in one of his video replies he mentions:
    Haha, I'm anal about stuff like that too. I guess I should skip the Skinomi then. I never really was considering it in the first place though because of the wet install.

I've used the following and ranked them accordingly:

1. Skinomi - 1st equal
    2. Bodyguardz - 1st equal, really not much between these two.
    3. Phantomskinz
    4. Zagg

However, it's worth noting that some manufacturers give you 2 shields whereas others only give you one. To my knowledge the only one in my list that only gives you one shield for the money is Zagg.

Hope that helps.
    *sigh* After reading a bunch of opinions I'm still confused as to what to get. I almost want to buy every brand there is and have an "Ultimate Screen Protector Shootout," but I certainly don't have the money to do that.

What I think I will do is try out the Wrapsol Ultra and the Bodyguardz, and return what I don't like. They both have 30-day return policies. If I don't like either, then I'll probably go for the Martin Fields.

I'm surprised no one here has any experience with the Wrapsol.

Does anyone here have body protection from any brand? Would it be suitable for a case? I really want to avoid those microscratches on the glossy polycarbonate. I'm afraid that the body protection may peel, stretch, or get caught in my custom car mount.
    03-05-2013 07:54 PM
    Haha, I'm anal about stuff like that too. I guess I should skip the Skinomi then. I never really was considering it in the first place though because of the wet install.

*sigh* After reading a bunch of opinions I'm still confused as to what to get. I almost want to buy every brand there is and have an "Ultimate Screen Protector Shootout," but I certainly don't have the money to do that.

What I think I will do is try out the Wrapsol Ultra and the Bodyguardz, and return what I don't like. They both have 30-day return policies. If I don't like either, then I'll probably go for the Martin Fields.

I'm surprised no one here has any experience with the Wrapsol.

Does anyone here have body protection from any brand? Would it be suitable for a case? I really want to avoid those microscratches on the glossy polycarbonate. I'm afraid that the body protection may peel, stretch, or get caught in my custom car mount.
    as much as zagg is bad mouthed, I had originally bought the one from att and when I exchanged my 920 I warranty replaced the zagg. The one I got from zagg directly has much less "orange peel" and it feels less rubbery. The package even states that it has a new glossy finish.
    I lIke it alot and am super ocd when it comes to my screens.
    It is a dry install which to me is great. I had some pretty decent bubbles in it when I installed it, was nervous they wouldn't come out as they were not "micro bubbles" by any means.
    BY the second day to my amazement , all bubbles were completely gone.
    There warranty exchange process is amazingly easy and no questions asked.

I use the back layer under my case np problem.
    03-05-2013 08:07 PM
    This forum member has a Skinomi on the Lumia 920 he or she's selling.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/buy...c-one-x-x.html

I don't like what I see.

as much as zagg is bad mouthed, I had originally bought the one from att and when I exchanged my 920 I warranty replaced the zagg. The one I got from zagg directly has much less "orange peel" and it feels less rubbery. The package even states that it has a new glossy finish.
    I lIke it alot and am super ocd when it comes to my screens.
    It is a dry install which to me is great. I had some pretty decent bubbles in it when I installed it, was nervous they wouldn't come out as they were not "micro bubbles" by any means.
    BY the second day to my amazement , all bubbles were completely gone.
    There warranty exchange process is amazingly easy and no questions asked.

I use the back layer under my case np problem.
    Is the orange peel any better than what's in the thread I linked above? How much did it cost?

A lot of people don't like the old Zagg because it was rubbery and had that orange peel look. Then Zagg came out with new versions, but on Zagg's website, it doesn't tell me what version they're selling for the 920. But if I go to the iPhone 5's page, there's a bunch of different options.
    03-05-2013 10:59 PM
    This forum member has a Skinomi on the Lumia 920 he or she's selling.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/buy...c-one-x-x.html

I don't like what I see.

Is the orange peel any better than what's in the thread I linked above? How much did it cost?

A lot of people don't like the old Zagg because it was rubbery and had that orange peel look. Then Zagg came out with new versions, but on Zagg's website, it doesn't tell me what version they're selling for the 920. But if I go to the iPhone 5's page, there's a bunch of different options.
    omg its waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the one linked hahaha. It was 30 bucks. I'll try and get a pic of it posted in the morning.
    03-06-2013 12:17 AM
    Its the dry install full body for the 920 btw
    03-06-2013 12:19 AM
    I put the Wrapsol screen protector on my 822. Its a winner. The fit is perfect and it feels and looks great. I've bought a lot of screen protectors for many phones and this is a keeper.
    03-06-2013 04:01 PM
    I put the Wrapsol screen protector on my 822. Its a winner. The fit is perfect and it feels and looks great. I've bought a lot of screen protectors for many phones and this is a keeper.
    Would you say it's case friendly? Or is it too thick, or would it come off?
    03-06-2013 04:45 PM
    My replacement phone is probably coming tomorrow, but I don't have a screen protector or body shield yet. Even if I ordered yesterday, they still wouldn't have arrived in time unless I chose next day shipping, which costs more than the protector itself.

What I might do is buy the Zagg Dry from a local AT&T store or something, and if I don't like that I'll get the free replacement from Zagg, and return that (if it's sent in brand new retail packaging) or resell it.

I'll probably still try the Wrapsol and the Bodyguardz, but they probably won't arrive until next week.
    03-06-2013 05:24 PM
    So my replacement 920 arrived today.

Beforehand, I picked up a Zagg Dry at a local AT&T store.

I installed it, and my feelings are mixed. It is better than the original Zagg--less rubbery-ness and less orange peel. Once your skin oils are on it, it's pretty smooth. It does drag a little depending on how hard you press the screen and maybe the angle your finger is at (it seems to be smoother when I scroll , but it really that bad. The orange peel, it isn't really noticeable unless you have light, and you're looking at a reflection of something on the screen. During normal use I don't notice it.

However, I had trouble aligning both the front and the back. Both are a little too short, and the back shield doesn't come all the way up the sides. Also, because the shield stuck to the logo backing that protects the "adhesive" side (the side that goes face down on your screen) I had to peel it off with my finger. In addition, because it stuck to the backing, the shield didn't sit flat on the alignment film, which meant that when I installed it, the shield wasn't flat on the screen. I had to peel the shield back up with my finger (again, by now my finger print is on the bottom of the shield) and redo it.

The back was easier to do, this time when I peeled the shield off the backing, I didn't use my finger to unstick the shield, instead I just kept bending the backing (like how you would bend the wax paper a sticker was stuck to) and kept pushing the alignment film into the shield so that the shield would hopefully stick to the film like it was supposed to, rather than the backing. I finally got the shield off the backing, and installed it. Again, it was slightly misaligned, but it didn't really matter because the shield was too short anyway. There's a small gap on the top and the bottom. I was really expecting it to go from edge to edge. I do like how it's matte and actually kind of smooth.

So am I keeping this one? No, my front screen protector has this strange line along the bottom, like something is stuck on the underside of it. Also, there are fingerprints on the bottom because I had to pull it up once, and there are these strange horizontal lines I see, not sure what those are. Must be a defect or something. I'm going to get a replacement, but I probably won't install that one. I'm hoping that the Bodyguardz and/or the Wrapsol are better and cover more of the phone. But for now, I'll leave it on the phone, I don't want my brand new Lumia to get any scratches. :P

I've done a bit of drawing on a couple of the pictures so you can see where the screen protector ends and how it's too short.
    Attached Thumbnails bcqrvhl.jpg   5idobo8.jpg   upnmsqa.jpg   fdmjta3.jpg   tntiadz.jpg  

03-07-2013 10:23 PM
    The line on the bottom is micro bubbles, it does go away
    03-07-2013 10:52 PM
    The line on the bottom is micro bubbles, it does go away
    Okay, what about the horizontal lines across the entire protector that you see when you shine light on it? Do you have that, or is that only mine?
    03-07-2013 11:03 PM
    Okay, what about the horizontal lines across the entire protector that you see when you shine light on it? Do you have that, or is that only mine?
    those other lines I do not have, those may have shown up when you lifted it up to put back down again. It foes stretch rather easy and messes the protector up.
    As a side note the zaggs from att do stick like crazy to the template piece , the replacement one isn't as bad.
    03-08-2013 01:04 AM
47 12