03-23-2013 10:33 AM
53 123
tools
    ... good enough but if you're a real audiophile then I can see why it wouldn't be good enough. Then again, you would also have much better headphones so the difference would probably be less.
    Region? Firmware?

Thanks.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express
    03-20-2013 09:18 AM
    I personally think that the music sounds noticeably better on my 920 than on my laptop. I use a custom EQ, even though I have no idea what the **** I'm doing when it comes to them, and the Dolby Headphone on with leveling off. The only thing is that it isn't as loud; I usually have to listen to it at about 21, up to 25 if I'm out, while on my laptop I can use 50% volume. Other than that I think it might be a hardware issues, it seems the build of the 920s sold varies hugely by model, some with battery issues, screen issues, and now audio issues
    03-20-2013 10:20 AM
    This is unusual. I had many issues with mine, but sound quality was never one of them.
    xWisp likes this.
    03-20-2013 10:49 AM
    You can turn beats off on the 8X, right?
    03-20-2013 10:58 AM
    You have to make sure the headphone jack is fully inserted.
    Use more than one set of headphones when evaluating the sound quality. It's the plug that goes into the phone that makes the difference..
    Check and check. I've used the same set of phones on three different 920s and my HTC Arrive.
    03-20-2013 11:00 AM
    I'm in the U.S. Not sure how to determine firmware.
    03-20-2013 11:02 AM
    Installed sweeden firmware, no diference in output volume, sound good but far of any iphone, is sound like me old Nokia 5800 XM god but no brilliant.
    03-20-2013 01:18 PM
    My audio is great. . . Possibly a faulty handset there champ or maybe your headphones are on their last legs. Either way I would consider myself pretty fussy about my music and so far the Lumia 920 has passed with flying colors for me.

Also the dolby on 920 and the adjustable EQ are far better than Beats. Beats is just an eq setting
    03-21-2013 08:30 AM
    I use Sennheiser IE80's and I wasn't impressed with my Lumia 920's sound quality after coming from an iPhone. But then again, I used a Sony Ericsson before that and was disappointed with the iPhone. You'll get used to the sound signature. The only big gripe for me is the volume is still too low even at 30/30. I don't like using EQ or Dolby, as it ruins the music and the EQ does nothing to increase the volume.
    Your hearing is screwed if even 30 isn't loud enough. anything over 24 for me would burst my eardrums. That or you have ripped cd's from your library at a really low volume.
    03-21-2013 08:35 AM
    It's not my fault you have the ear-drums of a 4 year old girl. As I said before, the iPhone 4S was very much louder. I couldn't listen to that at full volume at all. The Lumia 920 is like a fart in a hurricane in comparison. Maybe its an issue with my phone though.
    03-21-2013 09:14 AM
    It's not my fault you have the ear-drums of a 4 year old girl. As I said before, the iPhone 4S was very much louder. I couldn't listen to that at full volume at all. The Lumia 920 is like a fart in a hurricane in comparison. Maybe its an issue with my phone though.
    nah its more quiet then say the sgs3 or the iphone4 I used , sund quality not as good either , I think the sgs3 and iphones might have a better dsp chip in them though , I know the sgs3 uses a wolfson dsp chip for audio and there are many hacks and music apps to help get the best out of it , its another reason I may switch back to the sgs3 :-/

everyones hearing is different though but gsm arena did rate the 920 below average for a flagshiop handset in audio output via there tests
    03-21-2013 09:23 AM
    I use a simple Sony XBA headphones and the audio output is fairly reasonable. Of course, the low volume means listening to audio books on this phone is one big toughie (since they don't always come in high quality). As far as songs are concerned, it works well with the ones downloaded from music store
    03-21-2013 12:12 PM
    Sound quality on my Lumia 920 is by far the best I have heard of all the mobiles I have owned - including iphones up to 4s.
    One thing I did notice though is that connection is a little suspect on my phone. When I plug in my headphones sometimes the sound is really low, and actually slightly removing the headphone jack (a fraction) fixes it.
    03-21-2013 04:27 PM
    nah its more quiet then say the sgs3 or the iphone4 I used , sund quality not as good either , I think the sgs3 and iphones might have a better dsp chip in them though , I know the sgs3 uses a wolfson dsp chip for audio and there are many hacks and music apps to help get the best out of it , its another reason I may switch back to the sgs3 :-/

everyones hearing is different though but gsm arena did rate the 920 below average for a flagshiop handset in audio output via there tests
    iphones and SG3 are known to have average sound.
    03-21-2013 05:43 PM
    I don't think you have a morsel of a clue what you're talking about.

w16ojng.png
    03-21-2013 06:28 PM
    I don't think you have a morsel of a clue what you're talking about.
    Do you know which firmware is tested - pre Portico ?
    03-21-2013 06:34 PM
    you're definitely suffering hearing damage
    03-21-2013 07:42 PM
    you're definitely suffering hearing damage
    why do people say things like this? it is an honest statement , the sound output of the lumia 920 isn't the best at all and could be much better , I paid 410 for the device , yet I can admit that it sounds ok ,it has a warm sound but it isn't the best in audio quality no way and there are other phones that perform much better including the iphones and galaxy 1 and galaxy 3 with their wolfson dsp chip that sound even better if you add voodoo sound or acid sound mods from the devs out there

a users has even linked a gsm arena scientific test where it clearly shows the 920 being below par yet users still reply with ''you suffer hearing damage'' everyones hearing is different yes but that doesn't mean the 920 is the bomb at audio and it may be loud for some people but when ran through tests it came out not great for a flagship device

if you think it sounds great that's awesome but then you would think a sgs3 with sound mods is like standing infron of a funktion one soundsystem and the 920 like standing infront of an alba tape player lol :-)
    Lemmiwinkles and shalgrim like this.
    03-22-2013 01:42 AM
    seriously?? have you used either? even compared them? you should check out the sgs1 or sgs3 with its wolfson sound chip ....... add voodoo sound to the mix and watch it blow you away!!!

http://unleashthephones.com/2012/06/...on-audio-chip/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolf...-for-galaxy-s3

also the statement you made makes you look like you haven't used many phones or know much about the hardware the wolfson sound chips are known for being great in mobile phones , hence the uproar from users when the sgs2 used a Yamaha chip instead , Samsung soon switched back to wolfson :-) supercico a reknowned dev has tested them scientifically loads and ripped them to pieces they offer great sound reproduction and audio outputs :-) after his reviews and tests andatech even employed him as a sound tester :-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 03-22-2013 at 01:56 AM.
    03-22-2013 01:45 AM
    Seriously, I am very happy with the audio quality of Lumia 920 ... and the output volume is high enough (I am using 20 to 24 out from 30) ... yeah, me too, never use over 24 ...

Edit: GSMarena test is published 4th Dec. ... so it is pre Portico firmware ... just update your firmware and lissen by your own ears, to pick up the one :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_...view-858p6.php
    Last edited by Jaripi; 03-22-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    03-22-2013 01:56 AM
    why do people say things like this? it is an honest statement , the sound output of the lumia 920 isn't the best at all and could be much better , I paid 410 for the device , yet I can admit that it sounds ok ,it has a warm sound but it isn't the best in audio quality no way and there are other phones that perform much better including the iphones and galaxy 1 and galaxy 3 with their wolfson dsp chip that sound even better if you add voodoo sound or acid sound mods from the devs out there

a users has even linked a gsm arena scientific test where it clearly shows the 920 being below par yet users still reply with ''you suffer hearing damage'' everyones hearing is different yes but that doesn't mean the 920 is the bomb at audio and it may be loud for some people but when ran through tests it came out not great for a flagship device

Well said. Honestly, there are people here mindlessly defending it like they crafted the audio chip with their own bare hands. Evidence shows that it is not as good as an iPhone or Samsung chip, because they use proven superior chips. Its just a fact, there's no debating it and even if my hearing was "screwed" it wouldn't change a damn thing except for my volume problem.

Of course. There are people saying they like the audio and prefer it but that's fair enough, nobody can dispute that. But the gearing loss comments and "average sound" comments are nothing short of fanboy rubbish.
    03-22-2013 04:50 AM
    seriously?? have you used either? even compared them? you should check out the sgs1 or sgs3 with its wolfson sound chip ....... add voodoo sound to the mix and watch it blow you away!!!

Samsung Galaxy S III uses Wolfson audio chip | UnleashThePhones

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!

also the statement you made makes you look like you haven't used many phones or know much about the hardware the wolfson sound chips are known for being great in mobile phones , hence the uproar from users when the sgs2 used a Yamaha chip instead , Samsung soon switched back to wolfson :-) supercico a reknowned dev has tested them scientifically loads and ripped them to pieces they offer great sound reproduction and audio outputs :-) after his reviews and tests andatech even employed him as a sound tester :-)
    Had both phones for a period of time, non impressed me.
    Not really a link guy either. Did a google search and I came up with at least 4 big sites in the top ten result, you may check it out yourselves.
    03-22-2013 08:22 AM
    Well said. Honestly, there are people here mindlessly defending it like they crafted the audio chip with their own bare hands. Evidence shows that it is not as good as an iPhone or Samsung chip, because they use proven superior chips. Its just a fact, there's no debating it and even if my hearing was "screwed" it wouldn't change a damn thing except for my volume problem.

Of course. There are people saying they like the audio and prefer it but that's fair enough, nobody can dispute that. But the gearing loss comments and "average sound" comments are nothing short of fanboy rubbish.
    Really? Wow beat those professional ears, guess you must be some famous audiophile.
    03-22-2013 09:01 AM
    To get on topic; I have noticed the same or similar symptoms as OP when using a headset that is incompatible with a phone. With some headsets I have experienced an issue that can best be explained like this: It sounds like if someone has added a voice-removal-filter on the music.
    03-22-2013 09:16 AM
    Confused about the volume comments. I currently have mine on 13, listening to a downloaded Nokia Music mix and it is easily loud enough. Plus the sound quality is superior to my previous Samsung WP7 device, miles better in fact. I am very happy with it.
    03-22-2013 01:02 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD