Australian unbranded 920

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone here own an unbranded 920 in Australia? If yes, have you received the OTA update for 1308 firmware? It pisses me off that they took so long to deliver this update to unbranded devices -_-

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone here own an unbranded 920 in Australia? If yes, have you received the OTA update for 1308 firmware? It pisses me off that they took so long to deliver this update to unbranded devices -_-

It's not out yet OTA.

No, we don't know when it will be available.

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's sad to see how long it takes them to deliver this update to unbranded phones. I wonder how long it will take PR 2.0 to reach unbranded phones in Australia when it's finally released 😐

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's sad to see how long it takes them to deliver this update to unbranded phones. I wonder how long it will take PR 2.0 to reach unbranded phones in Australia when it's finally released ��

No one knows. Hopefully Nokia and Microsoft ups their game. Unbranded phones took a while to get the Portico OS update as well.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I feel you pain mate... Last time I didn't bother with the wait and flashed Portico... Hate going down the same path again as it's such a pain to setup all the apps again... Wonder why it took so long for approving the update, would is it M$ or Nokia?!

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hate this stuff. I asked the nokia australia online chat and the guy said he couldn't give any exact timeframe. -_-

Btw, does 4G means LTE for our phones? I know that the US ones say LTE but I don't have the LTE option under cellular settings haha

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
My friend has an unbranded HN 920 and hasnt got the 1308 update yet.
I have a telstra one which i flashed the generic Australian 1308 update onto. Working very nicely.
Dissapointed in nokia and microsoft though. I thought we'd get apple style updates to all countries and devices, guess its more android style.
Good thing is we have navifirm! I'm gonna keep flashing my phone every time a new update comes out (very easy to do and i just have to rearrange my homescreen)

Btw, does 4G means LTE for our phones? I know that the US ones say LTE but I don't have the LTE option under cellular settings haha

Australia:
4G = LTE
H+ = HSDPA+ (Which Telstra calls Next G and Vodafone calls 3G+)
3G = 3G

America:
LTE = LTE
4G = HSDPA+
3G = 3G

Basically Americans are misusing the 4G term and causing allll sorts of confusion lol.

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My friend has an unbranded HN 920 and hasnt got the 1308 update yet.
I have a telstra one which i flashed the generic Australian 1308 update onto. Working very nicely.
Dissapointed in nokia and microsoft though. I thought we'd get apple style updates to all countries and devices, guess its more android style.
Good thing is we have navifirm! I'm gonna keep flashing my phone every time a new update comes out (very easy to do and i just have to rearrange my homescreen)

Australia:
4G = LTE
H+ = HSDPA+ (Which Telstra calls Next G and Vodafone calls 3G+)
3G = 3G

America:
LTE = LTE
4G = HSDPA+
3G = 3G

Basically Americans are misusing the 4G term and causing allll sorts of confusion lol.

If you flash it manually, don't you have to reinstall all your apps and re-do all your phone settings though? That's actually the only thing that keeps me from flashing the update manually (since I flashed the portico update manually and reinstalling apps and other stuffs was a pain lol)

Thanks on the explanation though 😄

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
If you flash it manually, don't you have to reinstall all your apps and re-do all your phone settings though?

Make sure your phone is backed up before flashing (go into settings and backup now)
Then after you flash it make sure to put your microsoft ID in during the first setup prompt and it will restore all your settings and start re-downloading all your apps.

Only thing that doesn't backup is data from apps (such as savegames and in-app settings). Also default search engine changed back to bing lol.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an Australian unbranded 920 (bought from Harvey Norman in Adelaide) and it was updated to portico OTA a month ago. I thought everyone else got it?

And regarding 1308, I thought Nokia halted to update after multiple complaints about network unreliability? I remember reading about it some time ago....

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an Australian unbranded 920 (bought from Harvey Norman in Adelaide) and it was updated to portico OTA a month ago. I thought everyone else got it?

And regarding 1308, I thought Nokia halted to update after multiple complaints about network unreliability? I remember reading about it some time ago....

Yeah but the actual Portico release date was back in December last year so we got it like 2-3 months late. Apple applies very strict control towards its devices, sure. But I have to admit other platforms need to learn from them in terms of the process of software updates.

In terms of 1308 update, I might be wrong, but I read it somewhere that the connectivity issues only plague the AT&T users and they have released 1314 update specifically for AT&T haha

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
In terms of 1308 update, I might be wrong, but I read it somewhere that the connectivity issues only plague the AT&T users and they have released 1314 update specifically for AT&T haha

Exactly right. I've got 1308 here in australia (flashed it) and its great!

Lucius Fox

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Portico was released late to all Nokia variants, as Nokia had some nokia-specific firmware to chuck in there. so while hTC 8X got it in November, the roll-out for Nokia's didn't officially start until February. And when it did start proper roll-out, Australian unlocked got it within two and a half weeks of the announcement which wasnt bad.

as for the 1308 update, it started to AT&T then was stopped, then 1314 released for AT&T and then the roll-out of 1308 re-commenced for the rest of the world. So far AT&T, Rogers Canada, a few countries in Europe and jordan, and India and UK have seem to have gotten the 1308/1314 update. there has been nothing since for the rest of the world.

i find it stupid how 620 got the 1308 unlocked Australian update straight away, and we on 920's are still waiting. even Vodafone-branded 820 is getting the 1308 update this week. shouldn't take this long, seriously..........

i would flash the update but can't be bnothered re-installing everything, especially considering i've installed Modern Combat 4 on there which is a huge downloadd.....

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Portico was released late to all Nokia variants, as Nokia had some nokia-specific firmware to chuck in there. so while hTC 8X got it in November, the roll-out for Nokia's didn't officially start until February. And when it did start proper roll-out, Australian unlocked got it within two and a half weeks of the announcement which wasnt bad.

Actually American 920 owners got portico in november as well. Sooooooo we had to wait several months.

i would flash the update but can't be bnothered re-installing everything, especially considering i've installed Modern Combat 4 on there which is a huge downloadd..

Aaaaaaand they JUST locked us out of the servers. So you cant flash anyway.

Lucius Fox

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Lucky me then I guess lol. I started downloading the 1308 update a few hours ago, and its still downloading for me now, so must be in the last batch of users on it. If it is true that they've finally locked it down, I feel incredibly sad as I've done firmware downloading over the years with lots of Nokia models :'(

Crozone

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What firmware code is the Generic Australian one you're using? I'm using RM-821 VAR AU CV RED, 059Q9P1, but was only able to find the 1232.5951.1249.1002 image. Basically, if you were lucky enough to update NaviFirm before the servers got locked out, you still have a working Cache folder with all of the updates in them. DO NOT CLEAR YOUR CACHE IF THIS IS YOU. Only the database that gives you the links to the packages is locked, the actual packages are still available (they always will be as well, since this is what the phones pull when doing OTA updates). I was hoping that I'd be able to update OTA to 1308 but it hasn't come through yet. If anyone still has the cache folder with the Australian 1308 in it, do you think you could zip it and upload it?

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. I have a UK Lumia 920 and have downloaded and installed Aus/NZ APAC 1341 firmware from a link on this site. Seems to be working really well so far. Is this firmware not being made available in Australia?

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. I have a UK Lumia 920 and have downloaded and installed Aus/NZ APAC 1341 firmware from a link on this site. Seems to be working really well so far. Is this firmware not being made available in Australia?

The firmware was avaliable on navifirm, but still hasnt been pushed OTA to devices.
I've got a telstra device i flashed to 1314.

If anybody wants any of the australian firmwares, have a wander over here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2093342

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a client with an unbranded generic Australian Lumia 920 phone and no he doesn't have the update yet.

I have my 3rd Telstra branded phone that suffered the same crippling loss of cellular requiring reboots 1-2 times a day. I have since put on the generic Australian 1308 ROM from Navifirm and the phone has been up for 8 days 11 hours. The last time it rebooted was when I installed the US English speech pack setting the phone up with this new firmware. I am not sure if this is a difference in 1249/1308 or its the fact its the generic ROM not the crap Telstra one, I only just went down this route so went straight to 1308. But I am also getting a hourly burn rate of 3-3.5% average vs over 5%.

Resetting up your phone is a pain and its something I have done over 3 phones and numerous repairs blah blah about 15 or so times. Does take a few hours but I am much more efficient at it as I have had to do it so often.

mikeyjames

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
4th of May and still waiting here for my 920 to update here in Australia - on Optus but got phone unbranded via Allphones. The most annoying part - my wife has an Optus branded 820 and got it last week while we were on Holiday in Thailand.

Why are branded getting it before unbranded - this was the reason I always go to Allphones even though contracted to Optus. On all my past Nokia phones I'd be up to 4-6 weeks ahead of branded phones??

Cheers

Mick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes