Receiving battery drain even when phone is locked.

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
So I've been looking at my battery's statistics and it seems that even when my screen is locked, I'm losing roughly 10% every hour. How do I stop this from happening?
Thanks in advance,
Dylan.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The short term fix may be simply restart the phone. Especially if it's warm to the touch even when it's not actively being used much or at all. The next step for me would be to block any background tasks that you don't need active for live tiles and such. Then I would inventory my apps and see if I can get rid of anything I really don't need/use as it could be a buggy app that is causing the issue. Then just monitor things and see if you can tell if there are any triggers/commonalities as to when the battery drain starts up. I had the random battery drain issues in the beginning with my 920, but over time and after several phone and app updates, it has progressively gotten better and I haven't had a drain issue like that in quite some time.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Try isolating the cause by remembering which app u ran last. the newly released Angry Bird may be the problem if u got it.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The Andgry Birds r fine. Do u have Evernote by any possibility? It has made my device very hot, and caused battery drains. As I really needed it, I tried to reinstall it several times, alas... no luck. So I deleted it, and get used to using One Note.
There is another possibility, very unpopular, but if the above mentined doesn't work, this might be the only way. U do a full reset of ur phone, and then start adding 1-app-a-day, closely monitoring ur battery. Usually apps that do syncing very often do cause a battery drain. Avoid those kinda apps.

dxdy

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
So I've been looking at my battery's statistics and it seems that even when my screen is locked, I'm losing roughly 10% every hour. How do I stop this from happening?
Thanks in advance,
Dylan.

in settings - applications - background task try limit many apps which not needed to work in background
increase or turn off mail checking time...
limit numbers of live tiles on start screen
avoid battery level or similar applications...

if nothing helps, try manually start battery saver in settings and see did battery consumption decreased

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If I have a battery drain (based on any battery apps), I just restart my cp and then open any battery app, to see a proper battery-% ... It is usually clearly higher battery-% after restart, sc. a false alarm ... I avoid also soft resets, as it seems there is worse battery-% after soft resets (higher varieties, before and after restarts) ....

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Something seems to be checking my location periodically, I have no idea what it is though.. I've turned location services off for now.

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
If I was to post all of the apps that i have downloaded could you guys let me know which one could be draining my battery from your experience?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I have a battery drain (based on any battery apps), I just restart my cp and then open any battery app, to see a proper battery-% ... It is usually clearly higher battery-% after restart, sc. a false alarm ... I avoid also soft resets, as it seems there is worse battery-% after soft resets (higher varieties, before and after restarts) ....

Have you tried this?

SahilShah

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Try disabling background tasks, and let the phone run COMPLETELY out once, then fully charge it. This should considerably help the length of battery. :)

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the above. The only thing I can think of is Ice Age Village, which sends out notifications a lot, but I'd rather nit delete it if I didn't have to.

Last edited:

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Sign out of Skype if you are signed in... That used to make my phone very hot... Another culprit is Facebook app.. If something loops endlessly the phone gets HOT and starts draining battery like you mentioned...

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I think I found the solution, and that was to turn off wifi when not using it.. I know it would seem obvious but I came from Android, so if there was no WiFi source the phone didn't look for any constantly.

dinesh84d

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I use Lumia 820, after GDR1 & 2 (with amber), battery has surely improved.

Having said that, with minimal apps, nothing running in background, all setting off e.g. wifi, nfc, location, etc., my battery drain is inconsistent.

With the same settings and apps, it is nearly 1% per hour one day and with the same settings and apps it goes upto 10% per hour.

This seems to be a bug in the OS and I am sure Microsoft must be trying their best to resolve, but it is painful.

I dont support the suggestions saying having skype, facebook, etc disabled. what's the point of having a smartphone if we have to keep it without apps and in battery saver mode,

Why to have a Lumia, if you cannot have livetiles?

Bottomline : There is a bug which caused battery drain and all the solutions suggested are temporary and may not be effective as the reason is somewhere else.

Just so you know, I formatted my phone 2 weeks back, have system apps only, keeping everything off, still battery drain is inconsistent (varies from 1% to 10% with same settings and apps).

ImmortalBeaver

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
There's a seemingly weird solution on the official Microsoft support forums to this problem. Sadly I can't find it any more. However, the way to get rid of the heating+draining is to simply start every app that is installed on the phone once, accept terms and conditions, etc. and restart the phone after it. I know this really sounds awkward, but it worked fine in my case. I can now get out a whole day of battery life and I use my phone very frequently.

EDIT: Found the link! Nokia lumia 920 overheat and battery issues resolved? 24 hours - Microsoft Community

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar