Safest way to perform a hard reset? Is there one?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering doing a hard reset against my will tonight due to bug that causes images over data to not fully render leaving them blurry. I thought I could live with it until I realised it affects a lot more of my apps than I'd like. Fhotoroom thumbnails are blurry.. reading my stock charts on My Stocks Portfolio are unreadable.. Even local weather radar images are just blocky and useless.

I know there's a high risk of bricking my device when attempting a hard reset. I'm just curious if people have discovered one method being less risky over the other. (reset in settings vs holding the buttons down).

spop9

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just did the software method Settings > About > Reset your phone yesterday. I was stuck on the cogs for ~3 hours so I used the sticky at the top of the forums to re-flash my phone and everything is working again.

Just a note if you do this method - I used a cache to get the firmware from navifirm. There is a link towards the end of the thread to a site where you can download the caches. I hope that helps!

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I just did the software method Settings > About > Reset your phone yesterday. I was stuck on the cogs for ~3 hours so I used the sticky at the top of the forums to re-flash my phone and everything is working again.

Just a note if you do this method - I used a cache to get the firmware from navifirm. There is a link towards the end of the thread to a site where you can download the caches. I hope that helps!

EEEEK. Yeah I'm really hoping I don't have to go through all that. Setting up the phone from scratch is aggravating enough as it is. I guess you can flash your phone if your stuck at the spinning cogs. Any clue how I can tell if I'm officially bricked? I mean how long should I allow the cogs to spin before I realise I'm screwed?

spop9

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
EEEEK. Yeah I'm really hoping I don't have to go through all that. Setting up the phone from scratch is aggravating enough as it is. I guess you can flash your phone if your stuck at the spinning cogs. Any clue how I can tell if I'm officially bricked? I mean how long should I allow the cogs to spin before I realise I'm screwed?

I wish I knew the answer to that before I had done the reset. I saw posts where some had waiting around 6 hours. It sounds like its a software bug or something. I wasn't wanting to wait any longer because I needed the phone.

As far as setting up the phone from scratch it actually wasn't that bad. I had been backing up SMS, Pictures, etc with skydrive so when I logged into my Microsoft account it all came back. I went to windowsphone.com and re-installed all my apps from there. It is pretty cool, you select re-install and it pushes the app to your phone so you don't have to go to the store and find it.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish I knew the answer to that before I had done the reset. I saw posts where some had waiting around 6 hours. It sounds like its a software bug or something. I wasn't wanting to wait any longer because I needed the phone.

As far as setting up the phone from scratch it actually wasn't that bad. I had been backing up SMS, Pictures, etc with skydrive so when I logged into my Microsoft account it all came back. I went to windowsphone.com and re-installed all my apps from there. It is pretty cool, you select re-install and it pushes the app to your phone so you don't have to go to the store and find it.

Wow 6 hours.. I did some extenstive digging and found people on that thread you mentioned suggesting a new method (as recommended by Nokia support) if stuck on the spinning cogs. They claimed it shouldn't take more than 30 min at most to perform a reset and if stuck they said to do a soft reset during the spinning cogs, wait for the Nokia logo to appear then press in order volume up, down, power and volume down. Apparently this will get it un-stuck and several people said after trying that it apparently works. So I'm not as scared now lol.

Crossing my fingers and will give it a go this afternoon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon