Help! "No Service" On Unlocked Rogers Lumia 920

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It was a brand new phone sent to me by Nokia after I was communicating back and forth with CEO Stephen Elop about issues with the one I bought outright from Rogers. Assuming since Rogers is the only carrier in Canada selling them that the phone sent to me compliments of Elop was one setup for Rogers.

I paid to have it unlocked.

Ali Fay Zan

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, i am Ali from Pakistan. I have Lumia 920 white and have no service issue from the last month. I goggled the fixed method regarding this issue but all in vain. I recovered my Lumia with 5 different firmware versions by NCS but got nothing. I clearly understand that any firmware i have installed could not resolve this issue. I have read on a site stating that Lumia no service /emergency only issue would be fixed by an amber update which is coming next month on 14th. So be patient guys, Nokia is doing something better (hope so).

Chris Cheok

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Ali, do you have the link to the site that says that the amber update will solve the issue? Would like to read up on it. I purchased an unlocked 920 from amazon within the US but the phone's product key is of East African origin. I am currently using AT&T as my service provider and I am going through this no service problem as well. I flashed the phone and still the problem remains and there is no usable tech store that I can send it to at the moment. I tried the 3282 trick and I came up with the same problem as Ali here.

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how the OP decided to escalate his tech support problem from the Nokia CEO all the way up to a wpcentral forum thread. This whole thing smells strange.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
How is it strange?

Mr. Elop's escalation division sent me a brand new phone. I have all the email correspondence between myself, Elop and his team.

I received the phone, unlocked it and it worked fine after doing so. Because I don't use the same phone for long periods of time (I have several and switch) when I went to use it I had what appears to be a common issue when you google it - No Service. The phone turns on, goes into airplane mode for a quick second then jumps to no service.

Not quite sure where this whole situation is strange and if you don't have any help to offer please be respectful and move on. Thanks :)

Chris Cheok

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear here... Is everyone on the 1314 update? or are you guys on the 1308 update like mine? I heard that it was supposed to be released somewhere in late April but the actual release was not mentioned.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have 1314 on my unlocked Rogers 920 that I use on T-Mobile US. No problems whatsoever with my phone. I didn't get my phone until early May, but the day I got it, I was able to update from 1308 to 1314.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The Amber update (did it with 2 different Amber ROMs today) didn't fixed my "No Service" issue on my Nokia Lumia 920
So I think that this issue is hardware related, since Amber didn't fixed it, or maybe Nokia doesn't care so much about it :(

Chris Cheok

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
did you use the amber rom that is dedicated to your phone? I'm no expert but I think that if the rom is not dedicated to the phone's specific product code model then it might cause some issues as the network bands and a bit of the hardware inside related to network is physically and electronically different. I got that from the tech guy from the AT&T store who uses an AT&T issued lumia 920 and he noticed the differences.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The Amber update (did it with 2 different Amber ROMs today) didn't fixed my "No Service" issue on my Nokia Lumia 920
So I think that this issue is hardware related, since Amber didn't fixed it, or maybe Nokia doesn't care so much about it :(

I called the executive escalations division to discuss my issue and provided them with the IMEI number of my phone. Once they confirmed it was the phone they sent in lieu of an issue with my previous Lumia (dust under the screen) they sent me a new Lumia 920 via priority shipping. It is currently on the Fed Ex truck out for delivery - I will update all once I receive it and confirm it works.

I will then be shipping the defective unit back to Nokia. Thank you to all who replied back offering steps that may help resolve the issue - I can't help but think this may be a hardware related matter. Slightly discouraged the the Amber update did not fix it for Lulian Luca.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So far the new Lumia 920 I received is working fine. No "No Service" issues to report as of yet - good news.

Leads me to believe this may be a hardware issue because I checked the firmware on the one I received and it is 1314 which was the same firmware on the phone I experienced those issues with.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, yes, I'm using Amber+GDR2 for another product code model. My phone was locked on UK EE and I decoded by IMEI to use it on Vodafone RO. Now I'm using Vodafone RO Amber=GDR2 update for Nokia Lumia 920 Black, since the EE update doesn't came out on Nokia Care Suite servers for my original product code. I will try it soon as they will release it and I really hope you're right and will fix my No Service issue. Thank you

Chris Cheok

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I sent my set to the dedicated nokia store. Complete waste of my time... The only fix so far is to switch the service to 2G. Those that are using factory unlocked phones that are from different regions... that may be the only fix for now.... or at all. I was reading up the specs of the lumias and some of the other windows phones and I think that it is something to do with the mobile network chip that is being used to connect to 3G or higher that is causing this issue as it is the only visible difference.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I sent my set to the dedicated nokia store. Complete waste of my time... The only fix so far is to switch the service to 2G. Those that are using factory unlocked phones that are from different regions... that may be the only fix for now.... or at all. I was reading up the specs of the lumias and some of the other windows phones and I think that it is something to do with the mobile network chip that is being used to connect to 3G or higher that is causing this issue as it is the only visible difference.

That wouldn't work for many in Canada. 3G is the lowest service for many - fingers crossed this issue gets resolved for all of those experiencing it.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, no success with EE Amber+GDR2 update either. I updated the phone last weekend when I saw on Nokia Care that EE has the Amber update for my black lumia 920. I talked with Nokia Care on twitter and they told me to send my phone to the nearest Nokia Care office. Since I don't have them in my city, I talked on the phone and they didn't take my phone in service without the proof of purchase (that I don't have - the phone it's from UK) - then Nokia Care told me to contact EE to send me the copy of that. I will, but I guess I will have no luck. My phone has warranty by IMEI in my country, but I can't have it without the paperwork.
I got No Service in malls, elevators, closed area and on the road outside the city. With my old HTC Desire Android Gingerbread I have full signal on all the areas with the same SIM card, so it's not the cells or the sim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2