Ativ Beam

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! I'm Alberto from Argentina (yes, South America!), I've a question for you, is there any trick to get ativ beam in my lumia 920? 'd be greta to have since many of my friends have s4, I've read about getting nokia apps in samsung phones. I'd appreciate your answers!

P.S: Sorry for my English!

ishaan_666

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
actually, as noted in the video, transfer of large files like photos, music, and videos is not possible
whereas, if I recall correctly, ativ beam does support that functionality

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
actually, as noted in the video, transfer of large files like photos, music, and videos is not possible

You're right!
If it's for large files, NFC isn't a good format to transfer large files anyway. It's slow, it has low bandwidth and it's generally unreliable for long periods of time. NFC is really good to start a tap-and-share session that escalates to a bluetooth or WiFi file transfer.

You should just use bluetooth for large files then.

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes ativ beam allows that, that's why I want it! Is there any tutorial like the one it was posted in wpcentral about Nokia apps in other WP?

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me explain a little. When you use NFC for sending files you only use it to connect Bluetooth or WiFi direct. NFC packet itself is very little to contain useful information. Android devices uses WiFi direct to transfer big files if both devices on same WiFi network, or switched to BT if not. Windows phone has support for WiFi direct but by some unknown reasons it works only between windows phone and windows 8 tablets. Tested by me a lot of times. But when you trying to send pictures, videos to android devices through NFC, it doesn't work. It seems that Samsung just enabled this functionality as they have full access to the system.

I know that applications from Microsoft and from vendors has full access to OS API, which is just closed to third party developers.
Vendors can even create file manager because they have full access to file system.
if Microsoft will ever open at least 20% of that api for us developers, world will receive tons of useful apps.

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Let me explain a little. When you use NFC for sending files you only use it to connect Bluetooth or WiFi direct. NFC packet itself is very little to contain useful information. Android devices uses WiFi direct to transfer big files if both devices on same WiFi network, or switched to BT if not. Windows phone has support for WiFi direct but by some unknown reasons it works only between windows phone and windows 8 tablets. Tested by me a lot of times. But when you trying to send pictures, videos to android devices through NFC, it doesn't work. It seems that Samsung just enabled this functionality as they have full access to the system.

I know that applications from Microsoft and from vendors has full access to OS API, which is just closed to third party developers.
Vendors can even create file manager because they have full access to file system.
if Microsoft will ever open at least 20% of that api for us developers, world will receive tons of useful apps.
I think that ativ beam should be available for everyone for that reason...

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung give it to all, we all will use it :) But as every vendor trying to make their devices unique, we will never see it on Lumias or HTC :)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wifi direct is supported by Android OS. Not Samsung's invention. ATIV beam does use Wifi Direct to send large files. Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 do not support WiFi Direct yet. With WP8, it uses wifi, not wifi direct, to send large files if it is available. Hence the requirement to be on the same wifi network. With wifi direct, you don't need to be on any wifi network. That's the major difference.

IIRC, Windows 8.1 adds WiFi direct support in OS. Not sure when WP8 will get wifi direct support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital