So why haven't we seen a Lumia 920 Touchstone MOD?

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a former webOS user sorely missing the Touchstone. Yes, I have a Nokia Wireless Charging stand and plate, but it's not quite the same.
I'm curious, why haven't we seen any intrepid users MOD their 920's to be compatible with the Touchstone?
Just the fact that the device stays in place via the magnet makes it superior to the Qi wireless chargers, I think.

I'm thinking of doing this myself, was wondering if anyone might have any insights before I start.

So far, we have some great resources:
Lemmiwinkle's Lumia 920 Black to Yellow Conversion Album
Opacityzero's Lumia 710 Touchstone Mod
Oli Gill's Lumia 800 Touchstone Mod
plus an awesome "Lumia 920 Disassembly and Assembly" YouTube video by LE55ONS

Both the Palm Touchstone Wireless Chargers and the Touchstone Inductive coils are cheap and easy to find, and it's not all that hard the outer case off the 920. The tricky part, I'm sure, is going to be getting the coil and necessary wiring to fit, and, of course, hooking it up to the USB charging port. It'll be interesting to see if the Qi charging coil can live alongside the Palm Touchstone one.

Advice and insights appreciated!

Thanks!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think there has been some discussion about this in the past and I've seen all kinds of mods regarding the wireless charging, but not exactly sure if anything that included having a magnet hold it still. Arn't magnets in general not very good around electronic devices? :D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's isn't too much Touchstone compatibility would bring, except maybe for the fact that TS's are dirt cheap these days. But the money saved probably isn't worth the effort.
Theoretically, it is possible, but you got to find the right place to hook in it in, but then again, Qi is much more compatible.

But you could always pull out the multimeter and poke around in it.

As for the magnets, the things in the coil are just metal, its the base that's magnetic.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
you can get Nokia charging pads for $25 without even looking hard...absolutely not worth the risk these hacks bring.

This is sad, considering you still can't get them for less than 60€ new in the Nokia land of Finland :D

I'd love to get one, but I can't justify paying 60€ for one.. There was one in an e-auction for 35€ (the stand model), but even that would've had like 10€ of postage on top of it too so it would've been 45€... meh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes