Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Says,

Lumia 920Country variant1232.5957.1308.0004Waiting for approval
Lumia 9203 UK1232.5957.1308.0001Waiting for approval
Lumia 920Everything Everywhere1232.5957.1308.0020Waiting for approval
Lumia 920O21232.5957.1308.0001Waiting for approval
Lumia 920Vodafone3047.0000.1326.2008Available

Waiting for approval = undergoing final testing with country or operator to achieve approval.
Coming soon = approved, in final pre-release checks.

sjb123mk2

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Well thats it then sorted. HTC ONE /// GALAXY S4. HERE I COME!!!!

Its not just the updates though, its the lack of official apps like facebook youtube instagram there all so poor and restricted! Games are %80 useless and overpriced, the apps are glitchy and battery life is poor, the whole nokia windows store is awful. Not enough customization on home screen i mean i cant even have a clock tile wtf?? Colour schemes are boring and the layout of homepage etc, basically i shouldnt of bought this phone over the internet without testing it 1st, my fault i know but still expected better from such a hyped phone :(

Did that post?

Obviously not.....ive just wrote an essay explaining why and its failed to post it?

I hate this phone

Reasons for my need to swap to HTC///SAMSUNG

LUMIA 920 IS
Buggy, lacking features, poor battery, poor selection of games and official apps,

Windows store is awful and full of overpriced useless games and apps.

No decent customization, i.e tile sizes and arrangement is poor, colours are naff and no clock tile?? Wtf??

Xbox games........well there not exactly "xbox games" are they ??

The internet explorer is aload of bullocks

Bluetooth and internet connection is on off on off on off on off on off etc

Basically ive made a mistake buying this phone blind off the internet without testing it 1st...my fault i know. But after all the hype this phone gets it doesnt deserve it.

This windows malarkey needs a whole new interface to keep in market with apple / android

In a nutshell im going back to android asap

No threats were made in this post. I am only expressing my disappointment with this phone, even my old galaxy s2 had more in depth features than this 920?? More customization and more to choose from in the store etc.

I just dont like how windows is still so far behind apple/android

I want windows to prove me wrong but its not going to happen anytime soon?

Even the lumia 1020 looks exactly the same to my 920 except for a 41mp camera big wow lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly sjb123mk2 if the small updates that come in GDR2 are keeping you on the edge of switching you need to re-evaluate what you want and need from a phone and what platform will provide that for you.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems you have more issues with the phone than GDR2 will provide, in which case you seem to have made a thread to announce your dissatisfaction with the OS and telling us you're all leaving. You should probably be doing that here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210477-official-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

It's sad to see that you couldn't find what you wanted in Windows Phone at the moment, but it's constantly being updated and having new features added... I hope we can see you around here again in the future!

David Field1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I love people who get like this, I do it myself too when i've had poor customer service from EE/Nokia.. However lets take an honest appraisal of the issues listed and in the cold light of day assess the reality of what's been raised

LUMIA 920 IS
Buggy, lacking features, poor battery, poor selection of games and official apps,

Buggy, well all phones are Android and IOS also have thier issues, lacking features, well i'm not so sure about that, what else can you squeeze in above a phone, camera, nfc, bluetooth, apps, etc.
Poor battery, well yes and no, i'd agree that some background apps do drain the battery, but it still lasts longer than an iPhone and a Nexus 4 (I know, I have both) maybe a Blackberry lasts longer?
Poor selection of games and official apps, well if i take the latter first Facebook and Twitters official offerings on IOS and Android are hardly game changers are they, really? There are great alternatives however. And to be honest, the games on the platform are not terrible, realistically on the mobile platforms as a whole there are only a handful of actual playable games

Windows store is awful and full of overpriced useless games and apps.

You sort of said that, however i'd disagree they are over priced, they are priced to the market, plain and simple, if they are too high, people won't buy and they become cheaper, its how capitalism works. There are equally a lot of very over priced IOS apps which are useless and they don't offer trials or refunds.. Sure there is no instagram, Vine, Google+, Google Music, but there are good alternatives.

No decent customization, i.e tile sizes and arrangement is poor, colours are naff and no clock tile?? Wtf??

So there is a clock tile on IOS? nope.. Is there a clock in the top right of the OS? Yes. It there a clock on the lock screen? Yes.. Arrangement of files is poor? ok as opposed to a 5 x 4 grid pattern of icons i guess so?

Xbox games........well there not exactly "xbox games" are they ??

What did you think, a mobile device was going to be playing stunning rendered first person shooters? Its a phone, not a console. X-Box is a brand, Microsoft utilised the brand name.

The internet explorer is aload of bullocks

Again, sorry, i don't mean to be blunt, but the default browser on IOS or Android isn't great either, i'd go as far as to say Safari on the iPhone is terrible, what features are you looking for? Java, Flash? HTML VR Rendering? its a mobile browser

Bluetooth and internet connection is on off on off on off on off on off etc

Never had this issue, ever, and I have had issues Black Screen on Calls, touchscreen failed, but never this one.. I did some research, and apparently many people seem to think the last update solved it.. (not the update your waiting for) also Nokia's own updates are maybe needed, otherwise send it back to Nokia, they have a quick turn around, a few days, if you are with EE they will even give you a replacement phone, ok its a bit retro, but you will survive. Interestingly what you describe I HAVE had on 2 android phones

Basically ive made a mistake buying this phone blind off the internet without testing it 1st...my fault i know. But after all the hype this phone gets it doesn't deserve it.

So may devices out there are described by this sentence, and not just phones, they industry is all about hype, early release dates and being first.a phone is a 2 year commitment, if jumping on the bandwagon early is going to cause you this sort of meltdown, i'd strongly suggest you take a step back, and evaluate what it is you are looking for from a +/- ?600 investment.

This windows malarkey needs a whole new interface to keep in market with apple / android

Interesting comment, Sir Jonny Ive has been quoted as saying the interface in the Windows phone was fantastic, it takes a lot of guts to step away from the icons in columns and rows approach of IOS and Android, the phone industry isn't hugely receptive to new innovations and change, they like same same = cash.. The Ubuntu phone and trying to get that to market is testament to just how hard even an industry heavyweight has to work to get a phone supplier to back them. Seeing as how IOS7 is the candywrapper version of IOS6 and Android hasn't change really that much in the last few releases,, I'd be interested to ee just how "tiles" android 5 goes.

In a nutshell im going back to android asap

No worries, do so, Android is a solid, great platform, you'll not have any malware issues, have the ad network hijack your date, nothing will ever crash, you'll get updates for at least the next 2 versions until the next Android version of the phone comes out and then updates take longer and longer because no dev worth their salt wants to be the guy who gets the latest version working with last xmas's toy.

The point i'm trying to make is not your comments are silly, they are not, they are echoing the fustrations of phone users on every platform, and PC users before them. We all see the potential a device offers, where it "could be" but realistically thats never going to happen. The simple fact that if we removed the words nokia 920 and Windows phone from your post means we could put any other phone/OS combination on the issues you are having and no one would be any the wiser.

Hand on heart, i wish you the best of luck finding a new phone, i'd be honestly interested in what it is you go for..

As for the update, i think i'd rather wait a few weeks for EE to test this update, than have them push it out because of an impatient few and wonder why the phone has borked out..

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a play with my daughter-in-law's new HTC One Android phone and was shocked at how messy the interface is. Absolutely terrible. What really shocked me was when I opened Facebook and attempted to scroll down the page. It was really jerky, whereas I find the Windows Phone interface silky smooth - it's a delight compared to Android and iOS.

Then there's the photos. I have Facebook friends who have iOS and Android phones and the photos generally look poor compared to the stunning images I get from my Lumia 920, especially after the Amber update. WP 8 just gets better and better.

The iOS and Android interface is just app icons. That's it. Android further complicates things by having widgets too. How confusing!

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh look! Its this thread again. The "im gonna go to android" blah blah blah.

Just go, if you are too stupid to use a phone, its not nokias fault. Just go. Failing to understand how updates work isn't Microsofts fault. Just go.

Just go.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh look! Its this thread again. The "im gonna go to android" blah blah blah.

Just go, if you are too stupid to use a phone, its not nokias fault. Just go. Failing to understand how updates work isn't Microsofts fault. Just go.

Just go.

Couldn't have said it better myself... The guy sounds like a spoilt child. Bye, bye!!!

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice reply David, i think you put it very well. No OS is perfect. The OP made some fair points though, WP does need a bit more than Amber to be at the point we'd all be perfectly happy. A few more apps/games and a bit more customisation. It is really close - but then it was with 7.5 (supposedly, I didn't jump in til the 920 though myself). I think MS have finally woken up to the fact we need more updates faster and I'm hopeful for what next year will bring (I'm even prepared to be surprised by GDR3).

While Android is more customisable, I don't think the flaws with WP or this slightly prolonged Amber roll-out is enough reason to return to Android (I had a Galaxy before my 920). Android even now can be a bit laggy, and while the interface is much improved from 2.3 days it's still a bit cluttered and messy. You spend more time moving things around and re-arranging than anything else. Or trying a new ROM cos the one you are on is laggy/buggy or not the latest version and the wait for updates is 10x worse than it is with WP. Android is still less stable and while it has more apps and games now, the Windows ecosystem promises a better future than Android. If we get a unified store next year (or merge with RT) then I think WP will see major gains.

I'd love Google to play nice and release proper YouTube, Gmail and the rest apps; everyone would benefit from that. But i've made do with third party solutions or just moved to alternative services and I certainly wouldn't move back to Android just for the lack of them.

I love the interface of WP and think it's the future, but I can see it's not for everyone, so fair enough if someone finds the interface a bit flat and wants to try something else. Android is hardly a bad option. It just doesn't seem like a sensible option when there's so much potential in WP and Android has a shakier future. Plus as someone below said (well I guess it'll be above this) the photos you get with the top Lumia's are just amazing, when you look at iPhone/Android photos they can be nice on the screen (or with Instagram like filters if that's your thing) but they pale in comparison and don't hold up to much prolonged scrutiny. And that's only for daylight photography, anything after dark you need a Lumia (could be a nice marketing phrase "after dark you need a Lumia" or "play with your Lumia after dark" - come on Nokia, bring out some sexy adverts, Lumia almost sounds like a condom brand anyway, just go with it...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes