920 screen cracked but touch works fine - DIY repair or ?

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've replaced two Lumia 920 glass+digitizers 2 HTC One X glass+digitizer+LCD and one Lumia 1020 glass+digitizer+LCD. I've only ordered my screens from one place ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts. They ship out of China but I've had no problems with the parts. The only thing I would suggest when it comes to replacing the digitizer on the Lumia 920 is that you use black adhesive. If you don't, light may leak around the edges.

Yeah I'm going to get from them. Price is not the best($53+whatever shipping) but looks like they got quality parts. Thanks

chrisc4

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've replaced two Lumia 920 glass+digitizers 2 HTC One X glass+digitizer+LCD and one Lumia 1020 glass+digitizer+LCD. I've only ordered my screens from one place ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts. They ship out of China but I've had no problems with the parts. The only thing I would suggest when it comes to replacing the digitizer on the Lumia 920 is that you use black adhesive. If you don't, light may leak around the edges.

Did you test it with a wireless charge pad yet?

timothy hardin

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife dropped and broke her 920 screen (just the external glass, not the LCD) after 1 year of use (so right in the middle of contract).
I decided to be nice and surprise her by replacing the screen... Oops.
First, the replacement screen I got came with "tools" but not the adhesive. Being the impatient person I am , I decided to try it anyway and I used a careful application of a silicone gel. BAD!!!
So, I ordered some 1mm adhesive strips on Amazon to try and correct the problem. Not great. They don't seem to really hold.
More importantly, it seems that the touch is "off" and erratic and that now the phone might be slightly demon-possessed. It just does things on its own sometimes now...
Finally, it also no longer charges with the wireless charger. I think I screwed it up pretty good. I am going to get her an otterbox for it for now, and then maybe she will get a new phone for Christmas...

Rabbd

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out these screen/digitizers on E-trade. When you ordered from them did they have the strange Customs Clarification form at the end that forces you to sign-up as a business?

Here is the text:

Notice: Customs Clarification
Dear Customers, We would like to mention that because of the intellectual property regulations of the Hong Kong customs there might incur significant fees for individual customers buying parts in small quantities for private use. ETS does not have the ability to pay these customs fees, nor take responsibility for customs clearance (Hong Kong and country of destination).

Business parts buyers can gain ETS support for customs clearance by registering on ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts. After a simple fast review process, confirming legitimate business status, businesses will be assigned an ETS account rep and ETS will employ our global network to facilitate fast and efficient global logistics.​

Is this something that has to be completed?

Jeremy Harker

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a glass+digitizer kit with tools and precut adhesive off of ebay. It took about an hour and a lot of work with a hairdryer but my 920 now has a fresh screen and works perfectly!

Once you get the damn adhesive to melt the project is actually quite simple.

cheers.

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Jeremy, I've just bought a screen + repair kit off eBay, plus a precut self adhesive like you say. Luckily, mine doesn't have a screen on as we asked the previous 'repair' job to give us a refund as we weren't happy, hopefully that will make the job a lot easier.

Did you spray it with some compressed air to get dirt and grit out? Also what's the best way to remove fingerprints from the LCD panel. I noticed he's got a smudge on there clearly after removing the digitizer panel.

Ishaan tripathi

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
hey AccentAE86 i broke my lumia 830 screen although the touch is fine how much would the replacement cost will i have to only replace the glass or the entire panel because of the digitizer issue ?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
hey AccentAE86 i broke my lumia 830 screen although the touch is fine how much would the replacement cost will i have to only replace the glass or the entire panel because of the digitizer issue ?

The 830 is different, in that the touchscreen and lcd are glued together. Best bet for the 830 is to buy the whole assembly, which is pricey (+/- $140). It's a whole different repair than the 920.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Jeremy, I've just bought a screen + repair kit off eBay, plus a precut self adhesive like you say. Luckily, mine doesn't have a screen on as we asked the previous 'repair' job to give us a refund as we weren't happy, hopefully that will make the job a lot easier.

Did you spray it with some compressed air to get dirt and grit out? Also what's the best way to remove fingerprints from the LCD panel. I noticed he's got a smudge on there clearly after removing the digitizer panel.

I just use a cleaning cloth that came with my sunglasses to remove fingerprints. Use light pressure, and they'll go away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon