Another 'I dropped my phone' thread

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
So, it finally happened. Had the phone a while, so it was bound to soon enough. Dropped mt Lumia 920 from about 4 feet onto solid concrete, and it didn't like it. The result aesthetically is a ding in the top corner and the gap between polycarbonate and glass widening in that corner.

Also, perhaps more worryingly, the phone is making a much louder noise than before when shaken. From brief research I was told it's probably the battery. In said threads, OP was always advised to return the phone. Are there any problems that come from a battery that moves a bit when shaken?

And finally, the gap widening a bit makes me wonder, is this phone now more susceptible to rain damage? If I take my phone to a Nokia Care Centre and tell them these things, is there anything they can actually do? Is there anything I can do to preserve the phone.

I didn't plan on upgrading for another year, but may be forced to (or downgrade to a Lumia 520) until WP9 comes around, so ideally I don't want to be switching everything around.

Thanks for reading, HP.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So, it finally happened. Had the phone a while, so it was bound to soon enough. Dropped mt Lumia 920 from about 4 feet onto solid concrete, and it didn't like it. The result aesthetically is a ding in the top corner and the gap between polycarbonate and glass widening in that corner.

Also, perhaps more worryingly, the phone is making a much louder noise than before when shaken. From brief research I was told it's probably the battery. In said threads, OP was always advised to return the phone. Are there any problems that come from a battery that moves a bit when shaken?

And finally, the gap widening a bit makes me wonder, is this phone now more susceptible to rain damage? If I take my phone to a Nokia Care Centre and tell them these things, is there anything they can actually do? Is there anything I can do to preserve the phone.

I didn't plan on upgrading for another year, but may be forced to (or downgrade to a Lumia 520) until WP9 comes around, so ideally I don't want to be switching everything around.

Thanks for reading, HP.

if you can't get it replaced under warranty, I recommend looking at replacing the case. It's not easy, but not difficult either. In the process you can reposition the battery firmly so it won't wiggle. Here is the video with how to instructions. Here are pictures of mine after the change. My original phone came in black and had a small dent in corner from dropping. It cost me $35 for the case, which I got on ebay. It is still in great condition. If your screen is not damaged your phone will look like new when you are done.

Another much easier option is to hide the damaged corner under a shell like this one.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes