Long SMS text messages sending as MMS

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Why is this happening? I've got 'group text' off in my Messaging settings as I read this can cause this to happen. Also got reduced character set on.

As soon as I go over 160 characters, the message becomes an MMS and there's seemingly nothing I can do about it. The phone isn't carrier-locked; I bought it SIM-free so I'm pretty sure it's not carrier settings.

It's really annoying having to manually break up messages into separate texts!

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Err this happened to my Telstra Locked 920 when I first got it.

Check for phone updates - Telstra issued a fix for this problem.

Call your carrier if there aren't any updates - this is a fault of the carrier :S

​Hope this helps and good luck!

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the carrier or the phone it is simply the nature of the service. SMS is short message service which allows a maximum of 160 characters. Once you go beyond that it will automatically become an MMS message thereby allowing up to 1000 characters, exclusive of any multimedia attachment.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the carrier or the phone it is simply the nature of the service. SMS is short message service which allows a maximum of 160 characters. Once you go beyond that it will automatically become an MMS message thereby allowing up to 1000 characters, exclusive of any multimedia attachment.
I realise that is the case technically, however I've never been billed for plain text messages over 160 characters as MMS messages with any phone I've ever had before.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concatenated_SMS

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Evilrob, thanks for the link interesting read. Are you on the same carrier with this phone as previously? I don't think it is actually the phone. I do notice on my 920 that when I have gone over the 160 characters there is a notification immediately under it stating 2 messages or 3 messages. However, when sent it shows as one long message on both ends, obviously concatenated as per your information. I assume that this means that our carrier (Wind in Canada) supports same, as does the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism