Does restoring to phone factory settings revert OS updates?

TechGirl00

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello WP Central,

Apologies if this has been asked. I checked the forums but couldn't find anything.

I just upgraded my phone to the Lumia 1020 and want to give my 900 to a family member. It seems the fastest way for me to clear the phone of all my data is by doing a "restore to factory settings". The 900 has been updated to the latest version of the OS (7.8) and I believe it came with 7.5.

My question is... by restoring the phone to its factory settings will that also reset the OS back to the state it was in when I purchased it? I want everything wiped off the phone (contacts, music, accounts, etc) but not lose the OS updates.

Thanks.

TechGirl00

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
no, the phone will be on the latest OS update, because the recovery rom is updated with the lastest update as well. If you have updated to 7.8, you will be on 7.8 when you hard reset your phone.
the only way to go back is to flash with a prior rom for the phone using e.g. Nokia Care Suite...

in short: you will wipe data, installed apps and settings and stay on latest OS. Note that your purchased Apps will not show up for your family member, if they set up the phone with their own account.

this is probably in the wrong thread...

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
You stay on the latest OS which by now is GDR3. Black is not fully installed unless you install the latest updates to specific apps like Glance, display, extras and info etc... then you will be full Black again. I know I did a clean wipe yesterday.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You stay on the latest OS which by now is GDR3. Black is not fully installed unless you install the latest updates to specific apps like Glance, display, extras and info etc... then you will be full Black again. I know I did a clean wipe yesterday.
note that she has a Lumia 900 and the latest she can install is 7.8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes