##7820# does not work to unlock SIM for Lumia 920...

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello All.

I've been reading through forums to get information as to how to unlock my Lumia 920 without having to stick another sim in it. I do have my official 20 digit sim unlock code from AT&T for my device. I've read on several posts that the code ##7820# should send me to a screen asking for that 20 digit code, but when I seem to put in this code in the dialer, the message, "Something happened and we could not complete this action." I have no access to any other carrier's sim in order to manually do it that way.

For what it's worth, I flashed the EU Developer ROM, RM-821_eu_euro1_425, on my phone a couple of days ago in order to receive Data Sense (which is so awesome) on my 920...I suspect that is the culprit of all my woes. Any help here would be appreciated!

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Nah, being that the phone has been out of warranty for well over 6 months AND the fact that I flashed another ROM on it are two good reasons I don't want to bring it back to AT&T. Besides, I know more about WP8 than every employee at the surrounding stores in my area (and that's sad...).

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
When I make my new WP purchase, I'll definitely buy an unlocked phone. I think I just have to get another carrier's sim and the unlock may work. I also noticed that I can't do a field test by using ##3282# as well, so these codes may just be unavailable for this ROM on my phone. It's a hunch, at least.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yupp could be! Could also be that those codes are tied to a term (maybe 6 months or so) but i doubt that one.. it would make sense from a security angle tho

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I make my new WP purchase, I'll definitely buy an unlocked phone. I think I just have to get another carrier's sim and the unlock may work. I also noticed that I can't do a field test by using ##3282# as well, so these codes may just be unavailable for this ROM on my phone. It's a hunch, at least.

Do you have a friend whose SIM you could use just to do the unlock?

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a friend whose SIM you could use just to do the unlock?

The sucky part is that all my friends have either AT&T or Verizon, which is useless for my purposes... :crying: So, I went the route with the prepaid T-Mobile card (which was free). I'll update this post once I achieve my unlock goodness.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The sucky part is that all my friends have either AT&T or Verizon, which is useless for my purposes... :crying: So, I went the route with the prepaid T-Mobile card (which was free). I'll update this post once I achieve my unlock goodness.
Good luck! I hope it works for you. That's too bad you don't have any friends with T-Mobile.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think I may have a solution to this problem...I think the rom I have installed now has this feature disabled (like in the field test mode), but I know that the French rom I originally had installed had field test enabled. Maybe if I flash my phone back to that rom I may be able to put the code in using ##7820#. So, a-flashing I will do. I'll update the thread later with my findings. Hopefully this can help others when this kind of situation happens.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have a solution to this problem...I think the rom I have installed now has this feature disabled (like in the field test mode), but I know that the French rom I originally had installed had field test enabled. Maybe if I flash my phone back to that rom I may be able to put the code in using ##7820#. So, a-flashing I will do. I'll update the thread later with my findings. Hopefully this can help others when this kind of situation happens.
Good luck,and please keep us posted. If you find a solution, then that will definitely be helpful to other members.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
No luck...seems like those codes are not attached to each other whatsoever. My only hope for unlocking is putting another carrier's sim card into my phone. If that doesn't work, then no sim unlock for me. No worries though, as when I upgrade my phones I usually keep my older phone as a backup. I just wanted to sim unlock it for the hell of it.

Still, it would've been nice to have it unlocked. Here's to hoping the T-Mobile sim works...

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Using the T-Mobile prepaid sim card, I was able to successfully unlock my phone. So once a person has the unlock code BEFORE they decide to flash a rom onto their phone, he/she will still be able to unlock it with that code. Mind you, this is for AT&T Lumia 920 and I won't make any assumptions for another mobile carrier nor another Lumia.
:grin:
I'm a happy camper now!

Jeremie 1

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Dude, did you flash your phone? How did you unlock it, just with a different sim?
I tried ##7820# but it doesn t work, neither a diferent sim...pls help!!

Tks!

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Dude, did you flash your phone? How did you unlock it, just with a different sim?
I tried ##7820# but it doesn t work, neither a diferent sim...pls help!!

Tks!

I did flash my phone to the EU Rom and I was able to unlock it using a T-Mobile SIM. But, I had the unlock code BEFORE I flashed my phone. Who is your carrier at the moment?

Jeremie 1

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
AT&T, I also flashed my phone to the 820 Rom...I'm trying with a brazilian Sim, I do have the unlock code, but i can't get to prompt the unlock screen...seems like something is missing.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
AT&T, I also flashed my phone to the 820 Rom...I'm trying with a brazilian Sim, I do have the unlock code, but i can't get to prompt the unlock screen...seems like something is missing.

Hmmmm...I would check into trying another SIM. You can get a free T-Mobile micro SIM card mailed to you. When I got mine it was free from their website, but I now see that you can get one for 99 cents. I would suggest that route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes