What are some options for repair and cleaning?

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi! It's been a few months since dust started getting under screen; I put it up with it using pieces of paper to maneuver the dust out (silly, I know). Now, these random specs have been getting stuck to the screen under (pictures below). On top of that, I've managed to crack the top part of the screen near to the left of the ear piece (I dropped it on concrete and was surprised the top part only cracked). There's been dust in the FFC for a year or so. I'm not sure I'll be able to get a new phone this year, so I was wondering if I should send it to Palco Cell Phone Repair (Nokia support recommended) or a different service? I don't trust myself with DIY repair. Are there any places that has reasonable pricing or do you know someone who would do it personally? Excuse the rambling, but any help is appreciated. :smile:
cracked top screen tape.jpegdust under screen stuff.jpeg
lol demo pic.jpg

CitrusMocha

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't view the images, but I just ordered a new body from eBay for less than $30. I have dust in my ffc I am hoping to relieve when I do the operation from black to red. Parts for this phone all seem really well priced, and if you watch a teardown video, it really isn't hard if you take your time.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
the dust that is seen in your images on the side seems to get under the digitizer and the lc screen. I've taken my L920 apart many times to change the housing between black, yellow and red (http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/225333-7.htm#post2169946 - check out the video by LE55ONS on how to take it apart for repair). Never did anything like this happen. It has nothing to do with the tightness of the housing but the rubber seal that sits on the side of the screen itself (if you take the housing off you will see the rubber seal stays around the screen).

If I had this happen to mine, including the crack at the top I would try to replace the digitizer glass or better the entire screen.
nokia lumia 920 screen replacement | eBay

it does seem straight forward to replace the entire screen (lc plus digitizer) and they are somewhere between $70-90.
Nokia Lumia 920 Front LCD Display Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Repair Parts | eBay

great screen repair guide by LE55ONS
Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube
he is taking the screen apart here and this is not an easy job because the digitizer is glued to the lc with adhesive that can be very challenging to remove.

other
Nokia Lumia 920 Screen Take Apart Repair Guide - YouTube

Altogether I'd decide between the price of the company you mentioned and replacing the entire screen. That is totally up to you. I would not see a problem replacing the entire screen myself, however, I'd stay away from replacing the digitizer alone. If the company is e.g. $100 it's probably a good idea to have them do it. if more expensive you need to evaluate.

But, if you do decide to replace I'd first try to take the housing off and then carefully remove the seal from the affected side and try to suck the dust out with a vacuum cleaner that you extended to a small tube or hose that fits over the area. Then re-apply the seal. That of course will not take care of the crack.

Last edited:

CitrusMocha

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Replaced my body from black to red today. black accent sim card tray.

Left the dust there, I hardly use my FFC so I said why bother?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes