L920 still a good buy?

Shiroi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
The delay in L930 is making me consider buying L920 while waiting for the next flagship (L1030, I guess). The price is almost half of its original price already. Will it perform like a mid-range phone or the new Lx30 series, e.g. L630, be a better buy?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I would personally get the L930 over the L920 and if you feel like waiting, something to get used to on WP, then you can wait until around November for the next run of phones.

The L920 will get WP8.1 but personally you have the possibility of getting a poor quality phone with the L920. Well, that's possible with any phone but I find there appears to be more issues with L920s and L720s than any other phones.

The L930 appears to be coming soon so it's up to you. I personally wouldn't touch the L630 myself as the 512MB was a huge mistake in my eyes.

Shiroi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I see. Seems like the L920's processor is still better than L630's. (And I really love the look of L920.)

I'm having 2nd thoughts about 930 actually. I would've wanted a flagship phone of that size with an IPS LCD and microSD slot.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I see. Seems like the L920's processor is still better than L630's. (And I really love the look of L920.)

I'm having 2nd thoughts about 930 actually. I would've wanted a flagship phone of that size with an IPS LCD and microSD slot.

As an owner of a L920 I haven't been overly impressed but I may just be the exception but there are many threads of people returning 2-6 phones before getting one that 'just worked'. Mine still suffers with overheating and a crappy battery. I still like the camera but I have to admit the weight of the thing still gets to me sometimes.

I'm personally not interested in the L930 myself. There are no WP currently I would buy. I'm not even sure I'm sticking to WP at this time but everyone has to make those decisions on their own and get what works for them.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Phone as a whole has been great, but the battery a disaster. If you can get a 1080, I'd head in that direction. The battery was never good and now is ****. AT&T will swap out the batteries on an iPhone while you wait, but they want me to ship out my 920 and pay $125. No thanks. Was just going to buy a 1520, but figured it's been out for a while and they still want premium price for a phone that's been around for a while. Decided I'd for its successor. I was disappointed when they announced the next wave of a Nokia/Microsoft phones and there was no mention of a 6" phone.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i've had a 920 and never had a issue with it. except for the battery wich wasn't very good, but like i'm not a heavy user was allright for me. was charging it every two days so not that bad.but if you're a heavy user maybe it's not for you. love the feel and build, it's like a tank. and the camera is great my friends were all crazy about that photos and videos... if you get a good price and not a heavy user go for it. it's a great phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is timeless. Even though it was released 1.5+ years ago it still performs well. There are better WPs available now, but in my opinion the 920 is still right up there in value. And if you're willing to go used you should be able to grab a like new 920 for $100 - $150.

darkbaby1991

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
L920 is quite good and nice. Simple yet powerful. It could deliver what you need. Camera? done. LTE? done. I prefer to connect to the Internet via WiFi because battery drains very fast on cellular itself.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's one that has, as I've said many times before, aged gracefully.

Its still a quality device, the specs are getting old, but still are better than today's low end. The next gen of mid-range phones (730, 830) haven't been announced yet, but I imagine they'll be on-par or a sidegrade to the 920 when they do appear.

It's a solid midrange phone. I have one and it floats my boat, but we're pretty close to the 930 rolling out.
Battery doesn't seem to be consistent across units, but I don't know, mine is meh. Not as great as some, but not as bad as it once was early in the 8.1 preview.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Now? Don't know it depends on your needs but if you have the money for the 930, just wait for it. I love my 920 but the lack of a microSD slot is a bummer.

​Just wait for th 930 imo. It's much better than the 920! :) It's the perfect phone only if it had an SD slot.

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The delay in L930 is making me consider buying L920 while waiting for the next flagship (L1030, I guess). The price is almost half of its original price already. Will it perform like a mid-range phone or the new Lx30 series, e.g. L630, be a better buy?

If you could find a L920 for a really low price like $100-$150 than get it. I have a 925 and they seem identical except for mine being thinner and aluminum. Its fast and the next batch of WP phones are coming in the next few months. But its really totally up to you

Shiroi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting a high-end phone. But I think the aesthetics and absent features (like microSD slot and Glance) of the L930 are not my cup of tea. So might as well get a previous flagship that's way cheaper while waiting for the next one which may be announced later this year.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting a high-end phone. But I think the aesthetics and absent features (like microSD slot and Glance) of the L930 are not my cup of tea. So might as well get a previous flagship that's way cheaper while waiting for the next one which may be announced later this year.

Yeah I think a previous flagship will suit you just fine if you are not looking for the cutting edge. Certianly if you can get it at a good price too. The Lumia 920 can have issues such as inconsistent battery for example. If this concerns you, I'd recommend looking at a store that has good support/returns policy. For example in my experience, I had a creaking noise at the back of the phone. I told amazon support about it, they shipped a replacement to me at no additional cost before I had to send my one back so I wasn't without a phone. Just something to bear in mind I guess if you purchase online.

I still like my 920 a lot and also don't see myself switching device any time soon. Hopefully you get a good device and you enjoy it.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the L920 since launch and replaced it with an Icon just last week. I'm really pleased with my Icon. The 1080p OLED screen is ABSOLUTELY amazing, the battery is much better, the camera is awesome...it actually surpassed my expectations. My 920 was giving me issues with wifi/data and the battery was no good on both of the 920s I owned. I wasn't sure if I liked the look of the Icon but when I got it in my hands it's actually a very sleek and sturdy design in my opinion. I got used to having no glance screen and either way you're not getting any SD support. The 920 is nice, responsive and pretty inexpensive, but the Icon is even more responsive and loads apps more quickly, in addition to the other improvements I mentioned. I'd recommend getting an Icon or wait for a 930. There's no guarantee the next flagship will have SD support or an LCD display either. They want us to use OneDrive, not memory cards ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. Even though the 930 has better specs, it's also bigger and has the exact same limitations the 920 plus it doesn't have Glance (something a lot of people complain about even though, to me, it's completely irrelevant).

If you can get it for 300€, do it. It's a fantastic phone and still runs flawlessly.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For me, the 920 is still the best WP phone available. Never had a problem with it. It works, and even with heavy use easily more than a day on battery.
Battery drain problems are down to bad apps... Simple as that. Nothing to do with the OS, as a lot of people keep saying.
I've upgraded to a 1520, and frankly, I am not impressed. Great specs and that screen is gorgeous, but it is still too buggy. Battery is fantastic also. Close to 2 days....
I may get rid of the 1520, if the Cyan update doesn't iron out the glitches. Still got the 920, which I may return to. Rock solid!!!!!!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, the Samsung Ativ S..... If you are able to go by with an "OK" camera, then buy that. The battery time is great, micro sd slot and they are dirt cheap now!

I have had my Ativ now for over a year and I tell you that this is the first time in ages that Im not looking at the newest flagship by now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes