Lumia 920 Heating Issue

colto92

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I have posted about this before in the Windows 8.1 thread (When using Dev Preview) and thought this issue was possibly due to using Dev preview at the time.

My phone after a few days will start getting very hot and use a lot more battery (about 10-20% per hour). Whenever I notice this I reboot the phone and it returns to normal, however I can not seem to figure this one out. I check battery saver and there isn't any apps that seem to be using the battery. I have everything but WiFi turned off. I have restored this phone twice and this issue hasn't been resolved. I thought Cyan may resolve it but it hasn't.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
As discussed in another thread in the 1520 forum, you may want to take a look at the Bing news app in battery saver when it is heating up. I am finding random battery drains and overheating on my 920 and in doing some experimenting this week am finding that while I have set bind news to not allow background updating it keeps resetting itself to allow it and then it just hammers the battery. If I don't happen to notice it or haven't taken the phone out of its case for a while I will find it really hot. Someone on that post indicated that it appears as though we are having some random problems with apps not actually closing down when you leave them. It would make perfect sense then in that case that if you shut down and restart that it would solve the problem.

I'm going to try uninstalling and then reinstalling bing news tonight and see if that solves the problem. Will report back.

colto92

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I really appreciate your reply. I will give this a try as well and report back too. I haven't noticed bing news in my battery saver when heating up, but I will make sure when it happens again. This could be another app I am using. I will just have to keep an eye on it. This has been driving me somewhat insane in trying to figure out what is going on.

nick_machoo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
happens to my 920 too. When I sleep, the battery 100% and without wi-fi nor cellular data on, at the morning my battery now only 70% . Already disabled background app almost everything accept Whatsapp, BBM, Bing Weather, Here Drive+. My battery only stand for 6-7 hours from normal usage (before cyan it can stand for 24-27 hours)

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have posted about this before in the Windows 8.1 thread (When using Dev Preview) and thought this issue was possibly due to using Dev preview at the time.

My phone after a few days will start getting very hot and use a lot more battery (about 10-20% per hour). Whenever I notice this I reboot the phone and it returns to normal, however I can not seem to figure this one out. I check battery saver and there isn't any apps that seem to be using the battery. I have everything but WiFi turned off. I have restored this phone twice and this issue hasn't been resolved. I thought Cyan may resolve it but it hasn't.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Yep, I would do this about every other day or so...after several hard reboots, even running the phone without one installed app, still would do it...finally sent it to Nokia since the phone was brand new

colto92

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I would do this about every other day or so...after several hard reboots, even running the phone without one installed app, still would do it...finally sent it to Nokia since the phone was brand new
My phone has done this twice more in the past day... As usual a reboot will fix it. However I'm starting to think I was sold a defective phone that also did not include a warranty. So now I am in a position as to whether I will get another Lumia or make a swap to something else with all the issues I have had.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the L920 (without the developer's preview). I updated to Cyan and did not have any problems. However, today my phone began to get hot, and my battery began to drain very quickly. I noticed it when it was at 44%. However, it went down to 2% within 30 mins. I have rebooted my phone, but that has not corrected the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Indranuj Kar

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I am having 920 and I am facing heating and battery drain issue. I am signed for preview for developer and right now having 8.1.14157.200 (cyan) plz help

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do not have the developer preview on my phone. The battery drain on my phone is quite excessive. For example, my phone was fully charged at 100% before I left for work this morning. It took 30 mins to get to work. Once I arrived at work I noticed that my battery was already down to 81%. I checked battery saver, but none of the apps are using hardly any of the battery. I was not experiencing any problems when I initially upgraded to Cyan/8.1. However, that is the only change that I have made to my phone. So, I can only assume that it must be the culprit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop my battery from draining so quickly?

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
As stated in many battery threads in the forum, options include:
Normal power off, wait, power on
Soft reset
Drain battery until phone shuts itself off, wait, full charge to 100%
Unpin Cortana tile if pinned
Turn off Battery Saver
Make sure only apps to run in background are apps you want to run there
Turn off any live tiles you don't need
Open every app on your phone and make sure it's set up properly
Hard reset, with or without restore
Reinstall firmware and OS using Nokia Software Recovery Tool or Nokia Care Suite, with or without restore

There are probably others that I've missed or forgotten. None are guaranteed. Good luck!

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
As stated in many battery threads in the forum, options include:
Normal power off, wait, power on
Soft reset
Drain battery until phone shuts itself off, wait, full charge to 100%
Unpin Cortana tile if pinned
Turn off Battery Saver
Make sure only apps to run in background are apps you want to run there
Turn off any live tiles you don't need
Open every app on your phone and make sure it's set up properly
Hard reset, with or without restore
Reinstall firmware and OS using Nokia Software Recovery Tool or Nokia Care Suite, with or without restore

There are probably others that I've missed or forgotten. None are guaranteed. Good luck!

I had done each of these twice and didn't fix it, sent it back to Nokia...kinda sounds like they didn't fix anything, but should get the phone back today...will let you know after a few days

Yanano Bere

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I had done each of these twice and didn't fix it, sent it back to Nokia...kinda sounds like they didn't fix anything, but should get the phone back today...will let you know after a few days

I'll be blunt. I and many others who use the device have made peace with the fact that the Lumia 920 runs quite warm. These tips and tricks will help a great deal to make sure it doesn't get unbearably HOT but nothing is going to stop it from warming up in use. That happens with every single modern smart phone though the issue seems to be a little worse on the 920. If it really bothers you maybe consider a different Lumia? Can't remedy a hardware issue and no it's not just your 920 it's all of them.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I was experiencing this same problem and it was driving me crazy, because my battery kept draining significantly. I have several email accounts. However, someone told me today that they sent a few emails to one of my accounts, but I didn't receive any of them. I realized that one of my email accounts was continuously syncing, which apparently lead to both my overheating and battery drain problems. I have now corrected that problem and my phone is at 99% after 2.5 hrs. So, in my case, the culprit was the continuously syncing email account. Of course, I suspect that the cyan/8.1 update led to this problem. Nevertheless, I am happy now!

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'll be blunt. I and many others who use the device have made peace with the fact that the Lumia 920 runs quite warm. These tips and tricks will help a great deal to make sure it doesn't get unbearably HOT but nothing is going to stop it from warming up in use. That happens with every single modern smart phone though the issue seems to be a little worse on the 920. If it really bothers you maybe consider a different Lumia? Can't remedy a hardware issue and no it's not just your 920 it's all of them.

I am not going to consider another lumia because I just bought this 2 months ago, it was brand new, so it shouldn't have this problem IMO. When I sent it back to Nokia, I was using my L520, I don't have the same problem, and I used it just the same...so to me, its either hardware or software. Hard resetting should fix software issue, that is why I sent it back to Nokia. Guess what...They didn't fix anything, all they did was set it back to 8.0, and it still does the same thing...I have talked to others who have the L920 and never have once seen this problem, so personally, I don't think it is all of the L920s.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
And to be honest, the phone rocks, I would keep it for a long time, its just this gets annoying when you have half a battery left and an hour later its dead...its random days and times too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes